Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where to run the pipes?
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/10/20 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Where to run the pipes?

Hi

I'm looking at where to run the brake and twin fuel lines from the front to back. I'm not keen to put them in the tunnel due to the poor access once the tunnels covered. Did consider running them on top of the tunnel but that's quite tight with the gear lever and handbrake mechanism. Now thinking under the floor would be the best option but is this such a good idea on such a low flat bottom car? Will the IVA tester say they are too vulnerable? What have others done?

Cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 16/10/20 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
I ran them under the floor on my 2B, but I ran a length of ally angle alongside for protection
ianhurley20

posted on 17/10/20 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
I put a length of alloy inside the tunnel and used some clips that have one 4.7mm and two 8mm clips for fuel and brake pipe fitted to it. Once fitted they would not need inspection but I made the tunnel side panels removeable with the aid of a few rivnuts. No danger of damage to any of the pipes and secure all the way

These clips https://www.jetpress.com/component-and-fastener-products/drive-rivet-cable-clips-triple-

[Edited on 17/10/20 by ianhurley20]

steve m

posted on 17/10/20 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
All of mine were in the tunnel, and if P clipped every few inches, will never move, or need attention in a long time
Mine lasted 22 years, of no problems, until the car was destroyed

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Johnmor

posted on 17/10/20 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
As others

I have ran fuel lines along the lower part of the tunnel, cliped every 200mm and different route from both electrics and brake pipes, used 8mm copper, ensured any bends dont touch the chassis

(tip on here using soldered olive for joints, save trying to swage ends , great joint to rubber fuel line)

See how it gos for IVA

nick205

posted on 17/10/20 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Building my MK Indy I ran my brake and fuel lines inside the tunnel without any issue. I made the top panel of the tunnel removable should I ever neer access (I didn't) and tested the brakes and engine before fitting the top panel of the tunnel.

Personally I wouldn't consider runnig the lines under the floor on a low car where they're prone to road damage or worse still speed hump damage.

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/10/20 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. One of the issues with the 2b is that the tunnel is extremely narrow in the middle, not much more than the prop shaft, plus it has large round tubes crossing so the pipe run in there is pretty bad with plenty of things to bash it. I think I'll still run it under the floor but inside some steel channel for protection.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.