Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving licence replaced (epilepsy)
nick205

posted on 11/11/20 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Driving licence replaced (epilepsy)

Morning all,

Some may have read my recent post about reach 12 months without an epileptic seizure.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/52/viewthread.php?tid=217617

After reaching this point the DVLA allow you to reapply for your driving licence, which I did. Well the DVLA have approved and issued me a new driving licence. Valid for 5 years and it carries the same driving entitlements as I had before.

I've still to get insured before I actually take to the road. Having not driven on the road for 6 years now, yes there's some apprehension. It'll be a few short local trips to start with.

A few steps forward

Deckman001

posted on 11/11/20 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Nick, Fantastic news and welcome back to the road. go out for a few drives on quiet roads like they may be now, that should get you back up to speed on the road craft you may have put to the back of your mind recently. Remember though that some young drivers now think the road is theirs so just be a bit careful of speeding cars not giving way to you when they should, oh yeah, some older drivers think the same

Jason

steve m

posted on 11/11/20 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Good news Nick

My sister hasnt driven for 10 years, as no need for a car, but a month ago, she bought a Mini convertable, that i drove with her to a empty carpark,
let her drive round the car park twice, and out on to the main road, within a few mins she was fine,

I would recomend doing something like this just as a refresher

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick205

posted on 11/11/20 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you.

Using a quiet car park or maybe an industrial estate of a weekend is a good idea.

theconrodkid

posted on 11/11/20 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
well done, as above, find a car park or quiet road, same as swimming or falling off a bike, it will soon come back

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/11/20 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
practice on GTA 5
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slater

posted on 11/11/20 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Good news indeed. I'm sure after a bit practice you'll recall how to drive, just like riding a bike....

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Mash

posted on 11/11/20 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Saw your previous post Mate, that's really great news !

I'm sure you'll get back into it very quickly

Hope the insurance companies don't fleece you too much

nick205

posted on 11/11/20 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure it'll come back just fine.

@ Mash - I also hope the insurance isn't too expensive! Pre epilepsy I'd got to a reasonable annual cost for fully comp, including business use. It may take a few years to get back there now.

coyoteboy

posted on 11/11/20 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Later that day...

HowardB

posted on 11/11/20 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Later that day...

that is lockdown traffic - ie almost none
there is no better time to have a drive, the roads are so quiet

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

ianhurley20

posted on 11/11/20 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
That was exceptionally quick for the DVLA, perhaps they do better working from home

AlexXtreme

posted on 11/11/20 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Great news Nick - in theory, it should not make any difference.
My wifey who also suffers from epilepsy was in the same situation and had her license back after 1 year.. though during this period we sold her car and now has not driven for the last 3 years as she is nervous of re-starting.

AdamR

posted on 11/11/20 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations of getting your licence back.

I also have epilepsy, which came out of nowhere in 2018 and led to a year of no driving. I spent the year doing a lot more cycling (every cloud and all that...) and dreaming about how great it would be when I got back on the road. When the day finally came I got in the car and within 15 seconds it felt as natural and normal as ever. Six years is obviously a bit different to 1 year, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

nick205

posted on 11/11/20 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again people.

It's encouraging to hear of others out there with the same condition, certainly a good reminder you're not the only one.

I think after a while you adapt to life without driving. Family and friends and public transport work pretty well really as does leaving enough time to simply walk here and there.

Benzine

posted on 11/11/20 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Great news!

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
practice on GTA 5

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 11/11/20 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
That was exceptionally quick for the DVLA, perhaps they do better working from home

Faster than I was expecting from the DVLA. They're usually slower than a slow thing not moving much, especially when you'd like a quick response!

TimC

posted on 11/11/20 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats on all fronts!

DVLA do seem to be on it. I applied for a VIN on Monday. Received it via e-mail today.

nick205

posted on 12/11/20 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Congrats on all fronts!

DVLA do seem to be on it. I applied for a VIN on Monday. Received it via e-mail today.

Maybe working from home allows them to be more efficient (in tune with how real companies have to perform). I know if I performed my job at normal DVLA speed I'd have been given the boot quite some time ago.

Simon

posted on 13/11/20 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I really wouldn't worry about not having driven for a while. Nearly three years ago, I bought myself a brand spanking new Suzuki Hayabusa - and hadn't ridden for 12 years.

All came back as I let out clutch for first ride 🤣🤣.

Great news though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.