Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Side Repeater Lights
jimthesail

posted on 12/11/20 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Side Repeater Lights

Copy of letter sent to my MP. If we all did it ? Jim

Ahoy !
During the current Covid 'confinement to barracks' I am pressing on with my kit car, an NG TC V8 (replica Aston Martin). I am sure you are 'au fait' with the technique of recycling an old saloon car and rebuilding the components onto a new chassis in the style of a vintage sports car. The finished product having to be tested under the Individual Vehicle Approval scheme at a cost of some £580
My 'build' has reached the point where I am constructing the wiring loom and need to incorporate provision for 'Side Repeater Lights' The IVA Manual, normally clear and unambiguous, has a serious omission which is being interpreted 'in absentia' by testing centres incorrectly.
They are taking the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 UK Statutory Instruments 1989 No. 1796 Schedule 7 which, of course, covers the modern 'box' shaped vehicle, not the vintage replica with individual cycle wings,. and imposing requirements which are sometimes dangerous and mechanically/electrically suspect.. Specifically they are requiring the side repeater lights to be placed at the edge of the vehicle to comply with the diagram at the foot of the statutory instrument. This means 'pinhead dancing' to fit lights on the front wings with attendant danger of wiring conflicting with suspension components and dazzle due to their forward position. It would be much more sensible to revert to the original specification with the lights placed on the body 'tub', preferably as high as possible, behind the driver. This would allow the light to be seen by overtaking drivers, which is the main thrust of the regulations, surely ? The fact that they cannot be seen by someone lying in the road behind the rear wheel is immaterial ! The bottom line, simply, is that they should be seen, 'when the front and rear indicator lights cannot'.
The kit car industry is quite large, has a large export market and provides useful experience in the STEM subjects for future employment. Pass my concerns to the appropriate department, please.
Jim Pailing
B.A. (Hons) Des. Tech.

jim pailing

TimC

posted on 12/11/20 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Bless you Jim but I fear that you are on a hiding to nothing here. I’m afraid your MP will file that under “Thank f**k it’s not a total righty/lefty nutter or some poor desperate soul ‘sans’ pot to pi$$ in.”
Slater

posted on 13/11/20 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully Boris etc will be debating this in parliament next week.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

CosKev3

posted on 14/11/20 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Wow,take some water with it is the phrase I believe.........
jimthesail

posted on 20/11/20 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
'Oh ye of little faith ?'
Being a 'boring old part', I have never ceased to be surprised at the ignorance of people who maintain they are experts in a particular area.
In this case I am sure, and there may be others, that the IVA is wrong. It is obvious to me that a side repeater light is better higher up, even if it is partially masked by the rear wheel arch, than low down on a front wheel guard where it is less likely to be seen by the driver on the other/offside of their vehicle.
I would expect that the former exemption, which I think was allowed in the former SVA for Lotus 7 type vehicles, has fallen off the page ?
I am informed that my letter has been forwarded to the appropriate minister.
As Mao Tse Tung said (I went to school with his son), 'longest journey starts with first step !' If even a small proportion of the LCB Forum sent a 'copy and paste' version of my letter to their own MP we would stand a better chance ? 'Action this day !', said Churchill.

jim pailing

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.