Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TR7 as donor and chassis adjustments
winddude

posted on 23/11/20 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
TR7 as donor and chassis adjustments

How many people have used a TR7 as a donor? There a cheapish one that's rotten but apparently has a good engine near me.

My biggest concern is the track width, how do you go about adjusting the chassis plans to accommodate different track widths?

Is there anything else I should pay attention to in terms of chassis planning when looking for a donor? There doesn't seem to be a lot of rwd donors around, miata and rwd mini truck prices are sky high, and few and far between.

Paul M

posted on 23/11/20 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
probably none - cant think of a single kit that would use a TR7 ( or any car thats been out of production for 35+ years)

Tr7 engine was also a terrible engine so not even worth considering just using that, low power and prone to leaking like a sieve

Always best policy is to find a kit that you really want to build , own and drive - then start looking for donor componets it
has been enginered to take.

SSC Stylus 2.0. Blacktop, Omex
ECU & Bodies

winddude

posted on 24/11/20 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
there aren't really the locost kits available at a reasonable price in North America, at $10k, you're competing with very well designed and widely built Shelby Cobra replicas from FFR. So it's more finding an affordable donor for a locost that's been widely used, and building the chassis. At least in my opinion.

A lot of the companies that built kits here are no longer around. Plus I'm leaning more to the DIY, more fun and learning.

[Edited on 24/11/20 by winddude]

HowardB

posted on 24/11/20 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
@winddude

probably worth adding your location into the system and then we can appreciate the particular challenges that being in North America brings.

there are some amazing builds on here with starting components as diverse as a model car for plans to VW bug to 7esque conversion. Something for everyone

Welcome to the forum

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/11/20 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul M
probably none - cant think of a single kit that would use a TR7 ( or any car thats been out of production for 35+ years)

Tr7 engine was also a terrible engine so not even worth considering just using that, low power and prone to leaking like a sieve

Always best policy is to find a kit that you really want to build , own and drive - then start looking for donor componets it
has been enginered to take.

There were kits that used teh dolomite running gear, so same engine, rear axle a little wider on the TR7, but not much.
Engines not necessarily leaky, mine never has. Similar power to the pinto of the same era, so very much of its time. Worst part is the head studs.... otherwise the engine drives much better than the paper figures suggest. (assuming you have never driven one)

But agree, there must be better, more modern options out there. Like the MX5/miata

russbost

posted on 24/11/20 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
TR7 engine was awful for many, many reasons. Surely MX5/Miata are readily available in the states, plenty of kits already available to take those bits too, or can be adapted to plans fairly easily

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 24/11/20 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
3 series BMW
C class Mercedes

Both front engine and RWD and relatively common vehicles, surely you can pick one up for not much money?

Both of those probably have plenty of donor potential in terms of mechanicals as well. Sterring columns, brakes, hand brakes, drivetrains etc.

[Edited on 24/11/20 by nick205]

Deckman001

posted on 24/11/20 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone considered a 1 series bmw as a donor ? rear wheel drive and some decent engines i think.
Benzo

posted on 24/11/20 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
For Ref. TR7 Axle 52" same as English or Atlas ford axle that is commonly used.

But unless its a TR7 V8 the engine side of things is a bit crap..

steve m

posted on 24/11/20 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Wasnt the Tr7 V8 engine the same as the stag, if so that V8 was worse than the slanting 4 pot in a TR7

But i could be wrong

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

JonBowden

posted on 24/11/20 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
No, the TR7 V8 was the Rover V8

Jon

winddude

posted on 24/11/20 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
3 series BMW
C class Mercedes

Both front engine and RWD and relatively common vehicles, surely you can pick one up for not much money?

Both of those probably have plenty of donor potential in terms of mechanicals as well. Sterring columns, brakes, hand brakes, drivetrains etc.

[Edited on 24/11/20 by nick205]

Yea, the availability of 3 series seems to have better selection than miata at the moment, I'll have to do some more research. My initial feeling in the straight 6 would be taller.

russbost

posted on 24/11/20 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Tr7 engine was half the Stag v8, hence the slant, Absolutely awful thing, they overheated & blew head gaskets & the studs were steel through an alloy head & they did the different metals corrosion thing & welded themselves together so you couldn't remove the studs or the head to sort the gasket. They also ate timing chains IIRC. I can't actually recall anything about the TR7 engine other than I think it had reasonable output for it's age & capacity. They obviously saw the light when they put the V8 in & chose the Rover over the Stag lump!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jtskips

posted on 24/11/20 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
that tr7 sprint could go a bit more bhp than the rs2000
steve m

posted on 24/11/20 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I never knew it was the Rover v8 in a tr7, had i known that years ago, i would of bought one "cheap"
from the front the TR7 was a really cool looking car, from the back, god it was pig ugly, designed by Stevie wonder ?

[Edited on 24/11/20 by steve m]

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

gremlin1234

posted on 24/11/20 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I never knew it was the Rover v8 in a tr7, had i known that years ago, i would of bought one "cheap"
from the front the TR7 was a really cool looking car, from the back, god it was pig ugly, designed by Stevie wonder ?

[Edited on 24/11/20 by steve m]

that was the tr8,
but for the original question I say, as many others, use an mx5 / miata /eunos

EDIT, I think there are still more TR8's on the road than were ever built!

[Edited on 24/11/20 by gremlin1234]

Sam_68

posted on 25/11/20 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
There were kits that used the dolomite running gear, so same engine, rear axle a little wider on the TR7, but not much.

Robin Hood used to do one of their stainless steel monocoque kits based on the Dolly, not that that's much of a recommendation!

Jeremy Phillips fitted a TR7 engine to one of his early Striker Clubmans, too (in fact, it was the car that featured in the early build manual).

nick205

posted on 25/11/20 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
TR7 I remember as a bit of an ugly mug of a car.

Wasn't the inline 4 engine a V8 lopped in half?

steve m

posted on 25/11/20 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Those were the rumours back then, and the four pot slanted over at an angle, in a pseudo V8 config

But if they were made of half a V8, what did they do with the other half ??

steve

James

posted on 25/11/20 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

But if they were made of half a V8, what did they do with the other half ??

steve

The were British Leyland... the other half was on strike.

[Edited on 25/11/20 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 25/11/20 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by winddude
there aren't really the locost kits available at a reasonable price in North America, at $10k, you're competing with very well designed and widely built Shelby Cobra replicas from FFR. So it's more finding an affordable donor for a locost that's been widely used, and building the chassis. At least in my opinion.

A lot of the companies that built kits here are no longer around. Plus I'm leaning more to the DIY, more fun and learning.

There's a shed-load of MX5 on Copart as we speak.
https://www.copart.com/lotSearchResults/?free=true&query=mx-5

Happy bidding.

If you only want mechanicals... there's a couple of flood damaged on there that should be cheap!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/11/20 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
There were kits that used the dolomite running gear, so same engine, rear axle a little wider on the TR7, but not much.

Robin Hood used to do one of their stainless steel monocoque kits based on the Dolly, not that that's much of a recommendation!

Jeremy Phillips fitted a TR7 engine to one of his early Striker Clubmans, too (in fact, it was the car that featured in the early build manual).

Latham f2 as well. More dolly, but same family.
Currently building a sprint engine. Always come apart easily as head studs are under the cam cover, unlike the TR7. Great output, nearly 130bhp from teh factory, pretty similar to a zetec but about 20 years earlier. 185bhp not hard to do either. (cam, skim, pair of weber 45s)

Benzo

posted on 25/11/20 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
How Dare you all, Cracking cars

[img]https://rmsmotoring.com/forum/attachments/img_7229-jpeg.301751/[/img]

[Edited on 25/11/20 by Benzo]

winddude

posted on 25/11/20 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by winddude

There's a shed-load of MX5 on Copart as we speak.
https://www.copart.com/lotSearchResults/?free=true&query=mx-5

Happy bidding.

If you only want mechanicals... there's a couple of flood damaged on there that should be cheap!

Cheers,
James

US based, presents other challenges bringing a car across the border, I'm Canada, at least a registered one, not sure about a donor. The shipping wouldn't make sense on price and I can't go over the border to pick it up, plus I'm on an island, the round trip with ferries and trailer would be close to $500

winddude

posted on 25/11/20 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzo
How Dare you all, Cracking cars

[img]https://rmsmotoring.com/forum/attachments/img_7229-jpeg.301751/[/img]

That looks like a great donor for a locost

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.