Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quick Sense Check on Towing and declared vehicle weights.
TimC

posted on 18/12/20 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Quick Sense Check on Towing and declared vehicle weights.

I’m just checking that I’m worrying over nothing.

I passed my test in Spring 1997 which means that the 750kg rules apply.

My BEC and aluminium unbraked trailer are well under this and the trailer is correctly plated.

If, for the purposes of the car’s IVA and registration, I declare that the axle weights total 860kg like a Caterham, am I right in saying that this has no bearing on the towing laws i.e. its an actual weigh bridge weight and/or the plated weight of the trailer that matter?

As I write this I’m sure I’m needlessly combining legislation that has no impact on each other. Worth checking with LCBs though....

steve m

posted on 18/12/20 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I can only answer from a part time Driver liason member, but we have had several drivers lose there ability to drive certain class's of vehicles
Normally after moving or changing their address, and also normally after they turn 60,

I lost my my class 2 HGV when i was 60, and ive held that since 1982!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/12/20 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Have you actually had the BEC and the trailer on a weighbridge? Tbh that combination I find a little hard to believe is no more than 750kg

If you do have it weighed then just get them to print it off and show that to the police.

As for would they count the gross weight of the car rather than the current empty weight? Probably the gross as that's what counts for towing caravans. They love that as all they need to do is add the gross weights together instead of bothering to weigh anything. I know people who have been fined for just towing empty trailers which had gross weights above their ratings. Plus you'd be at the mercy of how much a nob the cop was feeling at the time.

Fortunately my double axle trailer has no info plate on it

[Edited on 18/12/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
obfripper

posted on 18/12/20 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm stuck in the same boat with a post 97 licence without b+e, however there is also the second part of the rules for a b licence which allow a gross train weight of 3.5t and trailer gross weight cannot exceed kerb weight of towing vehicle, it does require the right car/trailer combination though.

I can tow my 1400kg gross brian james trailer with my 1600kg kerb 2040kg gross jeep patriot with no issues, however i cannot do the same with a larger vehicle as the gtw would be too high.

Your car would be assessed on "as loaded" weight and not plated gvw, but it would probably be advised to have any ancillaries/spares etc loaded in the towing vehicle to make sure you don't push over the 750kg trailer weight, you're likely to have more headroom with your towing vehicle.

The only downside is if you got stopped they might see the gvw as an excuse to drag you off to a weighbridge as the kerb weight is not marked on the vehicle, but it's unlikely.

Dave

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/12/20 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
I'm stuck in the same boat with a post 97 licence without b+e, however there is also the second part of the rules for a b licence which allow a gross train weight of 3.5t and trailer gross weight cannot exceed kerb weight of towing vehicle, it does require the right car/trailer combination though.

I can tow my 1400kg gross brian james trailer with my 1600kg kerb 2040kg gross jeep patriot with no issues, however i cannot do the same with a larger vehicle as the gtw would be too high.

Your car would be assessed on "as loaded" weight and not plated gvw, but it would probably be advised to have any ancillaries/spares etc loaded in the towing vehicle to make sure you don't push over the 750kg trailer weight, you're likely to have more headroom with your towing vehicle.

The only downside is if you got stopped they might see the gvw as an excuse to drag you off to a weighbridge as the kerb weight is not marked on the vehicle, but it's unlikely.

Dave

The key here is his trailer is unbraked, if it was there would be no issue.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
obfripper

posted on 18/12/20 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
The option's there though, it wouldn't take much to convert to a braked setup and get re-plated if the loaded trailer weight was marginal on the 750kg.

I prefer a braked trailer for towing, all the unpleasant/scary moments i've had with with a trailer have been with single axle unbraked ones.

FYI, if there is no plate on the trailer, they add up the max load weights on the tyres and use that as your gross trailer weight, which could be 50/50 in your favour or a problem.

Dave

TimC

posted on 19/12/20 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Have you actually had the BEC and the trailer on a weighbridge? Tbh that combination I find a little hard to believe is no more than 750kg

[Edited on 18/12/20 by Mr Whippy]

Yes - car is comfortably under 500kg and trailer is about 180kg including straps (fixings aside, it is all-ali.). I had the trailer built for this job.

To be honest, I think a few people are missing the point but that may be my fault for asking the question poorly.

Gross weight of tow vehicle and trailer as stated on the plate is what matters providing you aren’t exceeding them. Further research has confirmed that the object being towed is just cargo so I needn’t worry about the plate on the car.

[Edited on 19/12/20 by TimC]

big-vee-twin

posted on 19/12/20 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Think the axle weights include 2 passengers fuel and luggage. My car weighs 640kg as measured at IVA but when you fill in the forms you take account of above.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.