Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suitable Material for wing liner
John Bonnett

posted on 20/12/20 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Suitable Material for wing liner

I'm thinking about the inner wings for my project car. I'm going to form the inner inners from steel but for the centre section over the tyre I would like to use flat rubber/plastic/ neoprene not too thick max 2mm which would be fixed to the inner wing and extend as far as 12mm from the aluminium outer wing. The gap would be filled with push on rubber trim.

So what I'm looking for is some material that is sufficiently stiff but will bend to the required radius and I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

John

TimC

posted on 20/12/20 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Rally mud flap material?

Industrial strip curtain material?

John Bonnett

posted on 20/12/20 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Rally mud flap material?

Industrial strip curtain material?

Thank you for your reply.

I did think of rally car mud flaps but they are too thick. I need something that can be bent into part of a circle without collapsing and available in lengths of at least a metre x 200mm wide.

PorkChop

posted on 20/12/20 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Polypropylene sheet? (OEM arch liners would be made from PP or something similar).
Slimy38

posted on 20/12/20 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I was going to head to the scrapyard and see what tintop inner arch liners are suitable. While they do cover more of the arch than I would need, I figure I can cut a strip from the actual arch that would then fit my car with maybe a little tightening of the curve.

There's some brand new ones on Ebay for a tenner so I reckon a scrapyard visit and a few minutes with a screwdriver should get me four for a similar price.

John Bonnett

posted on 21/12/20 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for your replies. Cutting them out from a tintop sounds a very good plan and a great idea.
nick205

posted on 21/12/20 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Given the budgets car manufactures sink into development and testing of their vehicles making use of what they've used seems to make sense. From experience fiddling about removing and refitting tin top arch liners they're often held in place with moulded in clips to reduce the qty of screws and fittings used in assembly of the vehicle. Doesn't mean you can modify the part to secure it with screws or other fixings though.
femster87

posted on 21/12/20 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/allstar-performance-vehicle-underbody-protection-material-245656/. You can source that much cheaper. I can have a look in the workshop if I have a sheet somewhere
nick205

posted on 23/12/20 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/allstar-performance-vehicle-underbody-protection-material-245656/. You can source that much cheaper. I can have a look in the workshop if I have a sheet somewhere

Looks a pretty good idea to me - cut to shape and screw/rivet into position.

[Edited on 23/12/20 by nick205]

steve m

posted on 23/12/20 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
What about Corex, the stuff that house for sale signs are made out of ?

They come in 3mm sheets, and i just laminated them in different directions, for added strength, and that was the boot floor in my Locost
Once all dry, the strength is pretty good, and even with three laminations, so 9mm, it weighed pretty well nothing

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

John Bonnett

posted on 23/12/20 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by femster87

That looks perfect and just what i was looking for. Very many thanks,

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.