Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best steel for Land Rover shock mounts
RedAvon

posted on 14/1/21 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Best steel for Land Rover shock mounts

Morning folks,

It looks like I'm going to refurbish these suspension plates off my series 3 as replacements are coming in at around £50 a corner. The bottom of the shock absorber mounts on to the round pin.

I'm planning to cut out the round bar (hopefully!!) and weld in new as the plates are ok. It looks like 3/4" and was wondering what you might suggest for the grade of steel (to be MIG welded on). Not sure if it was just mild steel originally or likely something with higher carbon content?

Options might be bright steel bar, or EN9 or A36.......

Any suggestions? And any other advice, especially if you have done this before.

Pictures in my archive: LR suspension plates.

Many thanks.
Ian

[Edited on 14/1/21 by RedAvon]

[Edited on 14/1/21 by RedAvon]

Bricoleur

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/1/21 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
The pins are way stronger than the dampers which I've actually snapped the eyes off before. None of the steel on a series 3 is anything fancy. A good alternative is replace the pin with a bolt with the head removed and fitted with a castellated nut rather than split pin and washer. Makes fitting a lot easier and gives some adjustment to the bush compression.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
femster87

posted on 14/1/21 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
As I said , EN9 is a bit overkill. S275 would be okay.

www.femsoncuts.co.uk

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 14/1/21 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
No, I haven't replaced my pins, they weren't/aren't too corroded. Only issue has been removal of corroded split pins, etc. The rears are mounted directly onto the axle casing, so nothing comparable at that end, 109 inches away. Top mounting pins are tubular with a bolt running through them at either end of the chassis, so if that's good enough for the top....
If I (I, not you) was to replace the plates, I'd (note, I) do so feeling that any commercial replacement probably won't be as good as the original, so I'd repair. I'd replace the pin with EN3B stock bright round. Choice simply because that's what I've usually got to hand, it's definable material, welds beautifully (MIG or TIG) and machines well. I might even think about a tube with a bolt running through it, probably after too much beer.
Of course, my recommendation would be for you to buy the replacement plates.

The pins are unlikely to be anything exotic. If your Landrover is one of the later SIII cars then the steel is going to be particularly poor, at least the chassis anyway.

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 14/1/21 by motorcycle_mayhem]

RedAvon

posted on 14/1/21 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for these replies guys, some very helpful info. here to consider.

I think I will try removing the worst pin on one of the plates and see how that works out and take it from there one step at a time. The worst one isn't serviceable anyway so nothing to lose having a go.

Cheers

Bricoleur

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/1/21 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
While you're at it, especially if you have removed the leaf springs. Soak them with hot engine oil and then wrap them with denso tape, secured with large tie wraps. This will reduce the friction between the leaves and keep mud or water out. You'll get a vastly better ride and even more travel without lifting a wheel. Did this on mine and it was a huge improvement.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.