Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost cortina based top ball joint?
Deckman001

posted on 20/1/21 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Locost cortina based top ball joint?

Hi all,

I've been scratching my head and chin trying to sort my front top ball joint. I am using a Cortina upright, and from memory it's using Austin Maxi ball joints at the bottom.

Bottom ball joints passed the IVA with flying colours, but the top ones didn't have enough threads exposed from the M12 nyloc nuts on each side.

What have other people done to correct this? The thread length below the upright top section is about 11mm.

Anyone think i have the wrong ball joints fitted ?

Jason

theconrodkid

posted on 20/1/21 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
i think they are Mk 1 transit drag ling balljoints, there is only room for a locknut on the outside.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

rusty nuts

posted on 20/1/21 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I only have one nut on my top ball joint, pretty sure they are 18x1.5 half nuts that I got from Stoneliegh
Kitcardirect list them at £1.00 each

[Edited on 20/1/21 by rusty nuts]

indykid

posted on 20/1/21 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
I presume you mean on the taper, not where the joint is mounted to the wishbone.

Depending on the joint, either replace with a castellated nut and split pin, drill and pin the nyloc or if it's a particularly deep nut, find some shallower nuts or someone with a lathe to face the length of the nut down to give more exposed threads.

The other solution would be to find some balljoints with longer studs. Not all joints are created equal and cheap ones will probably cut corners and save material in any way possible.

Deckman001

posted on 20/1/21 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all, I’ve ordered another set of nuts(after the first new ones arrived with wrong threads) and I know someone who knows someone with a lathe who might be able to turn them down by the 3mm needed.

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.