Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec Conversion?
BangedupTiger

posted on 8/2/21 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec Conversion?

Currently have a 2.0 Pinto engined Tiger and considering Duratec Upgrade.

I'm in the process of needing another daily driver for a few months. This got me to thinking about buying an existing car with Duratec engine. Once finished with it thought it would be a good opportunity to remove engine and ancillaries for the Tiger.

Any advice on best car to buy, which engine etc. My thinking was the 2008 2.0 mondeo? Any better cars suited?

Thanks

[Edited on 8/2/21 by BangedupTiger]

mackei23b

posted on 8/2/21 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Duratec conversions are not cheap by the time you have all the ancillaries.....

On the engine front it depends on how much power you want, the high port version of the 2l is the better one if you are going for top power. (apart form the 2.3 and 2.5l of course!)

I had a 2l high port with tapered throttle bodies make 210hp with standard cams running with an MS3 ECU

[Edited on 8/2/21 by mackei23b]

robertst

posted on 8/2/21 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
I too have a 2L Pinto on mine and am planning to swap it with a duratec. I'm growing tired of the Pinto's moody behaviour

So far I'm budgeting for a donor '03 to '07 2.0 Mondeo like you are (Fiesta ST's are way too expensive imo), and i'm trying to get my head around keeping all factory gubbins, especially the PATS, which will be the most difficult part to solve. IIRC Warren (big_wasa) here managed to make it work on the Zetec, but don't know if he got round to the Duratec.

So far i've got:

Type 9 to Duratec Bellhousing (cable clutch)
Oil filter adapter (depending on the clearance of the original one with the ground and chassis members)
Fiesta ST flywheel from the scrap yard or ebay
Starter motor to fit Fiesta Flywheel
Clutch (apparently the Pinto clutch and pressure plate fit the fiesta flywheel)
Sump (again depending on clearance)
Modify engine mounts
Modify alternator brackets, A/C delete and Power Steering delete.
New cooling hoses
Rear cylinder head cooling adapter (depending on clearance with bulkhead)
Swirl Pot and HP fuel pump
Modify fuel tank / add return line
Exhaust manifold (i'm planning to use the factory one and maybe try to see if it fits inside the engine bay along with the cat. If it doesn't then adapt the current one i have to suit the duratec cylinder head)
ODBII reader (ForScan) and other bits and bobs.

This rough budget including the donor car totals around £2,500 so i'm aiming for maybe £3,000 to have some margin I might be able to recover some of that by selling the donor shell without the engine and the Pinto engine (or at least parts of it), if I can find any buyers for the old boat anchor.

[Edited on 8/2/21 by robertst]

Tom

snapper

posted on 9/2/21 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
The Fiesta ST150 engine is the same as the Mondeo variant except for the better high port head, you can get a second hand head for as little as £125 the important number is RF3S4G stamped on the exhaust side over No.3 exhaust port

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

snapper

posted on 10/2/21 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto engine Facebook group are asking surprisingly good money for the old boat anchor, I would join and sell on there

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.