Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Autocad
designer

posted on 16/4/21 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Autocad

My well used version of Autocad does not work with Windows 10. Not a surprise there!!

But, it won't work on a visual partition because the modern HP drivers won't recognise it.

I have tried all the 'free' packages and have the latest Autocad through education, but am not too impressed; it's overkill for me!

Anybody have a recent version for windows 10 they want to part with?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
harmchar

posted on 16/4/21 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I started using Fusion 360 to design some things for 3D printer. Works perfect on my Windows 10 laptop but don't know if it will have all the features you require. It was a free educational license for hobbyist use, don't know if it's still available like that.
designer

posted on 16/4/21 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have Fusion too, but Autocad suits me a lot better for laser and cnc cutting.

I know it back to front so can do things very quick. Autocad 2022 will take me ages to learn.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 16/4/21 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have access to an older version of windows. I can't justify the cost of Autocad now, but occasionally use and old Autocad LT2000, running on Windows XP, as a virtual machine, using Vmware Workstation.
Mansfield

posted on 17/4/21 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
How old is your preferred version of AutoCAD?

Unless it is really, really old you can make the newest version look pretty much like 2006 or earlier with very little effort.

I am guessing you don't like the ribbons and like toolbars instead, I think RIBBONCLOSE is the command you enter for that.

designer

posted on 17/4/21 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I have 2000LT, using it on an old machine under windows 7. Went from XP to 7 a few years ago.

Won't work virtualy as 'modern hard/software' won't recognise it!

Had a compter bloke here for two hours doing all ways. The only time it 'ran' was in a very low resolutin and half ofthe commands didn't work.

Might just have to buy abigger screen and carry on!

Tpical Bill Gates!

Will try that Ribbonclose.

Thanks.

SteveWalker

posted on 17/4/21 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
How were you using 2000LT under Windows 7? A critical component required for it was removed by Microsoft when Vista was introduced - hence the need to run XP in a Virtual machine on all later versions.

I am running Windows 10, on an AMD FX-8370 processor, fitted to an MSI 970 board, using a Radeon RX-570 graphics card, using LT2000, running on XP, under Vmware Workstation. I can also run it remotely using an XP virtual machine, running under Esxi on our home server.

I am pretty sure that it also runs fine using XP/VMware on my sons Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1050Ti based system.

designer

posted on 17/4/21 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know why it runs; but it does on 7.

All I know is that it has to be 32bit, whatever that is!!

I am a computer numpty, so have no idea.

Mansfield

posted on 17/4/21 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
2000LT isn't much different to the latest release for what I am guessing you would use it for. We have CNC profiling at work and all the commands we need for that have been the same for ever.

The only reason you might struggle to use it is all the tools and menus are in different places than you are used to.

I can't get on with the ribbon, a lot of tools seem to need an extra click to get to and I haven't got time for that. I always switch it to a 'classic' workspace. I use it full time as a Draughtsman and have done for years but give me the ribbon and it like I am an Apprentice.

If you post a screen shot of how you like to work I or someone on here will be able to help you make your 2022 copy look pretty much the same.

mcerd1

posted on 17/4/21 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
the main issue I had with 2000 on win7x64 was just the installer (16bit installshield) - but you can get converter programs that will read the 16 bit installer and make a new 32 bit version

I did get it running in the end (so in theory it would work on win10 too), but I was then going to have to manually go thought all the file locations and maybe replace a few missing ones with copies off my XP machine to set it up....

at that point we got AutoCAD 2014LT so I never took it any further.... (2014 in classic mode is fine, just use classic mode to get rid of the ribbon, turn INPUTHISTORYMODE to =0 and turn off the stupid dynamic input - 'F12' key)

assuming I can keep turning off the useless new crap the only issue I have with the new versions is the price

or you could look for an old copy of 2013 - 2016 - they work fine on Win10x64 (thats what we have on all the machines at work)

[Edited on 17/4/2021 by mcerd1]

-

Smoking Frog

posted on 18/4/21 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
I also use AutoCAD 2000Lt. I got it to run successfully with windows 10 64bit following these guide lines.
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/previous-version-support/autocad-lt-2000-on-windows-10-64-bit-success/td-p/8439850

designer

posted on 18/4/21 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant! Will be giving that a go.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.