Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car registered incorrectly
woodsy

posted on 17/10/21 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Car registered incorrectly

I have found a car that i am very interested which is an MK Indy but on the log book it is registered as something completely different that i have never heard of. The current owner has told me it has never been through an IVA test hence why it is reg'd as a different car.
It has not been MOT'd for 5 years as it has been a track car but he has offered to MOT it for me.
Should alarm bells be ringing so am i over thinking things ??

David Jenkins

posted on 17/10/21 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Like all cars - you're paying a lot of money, there a lot of rogues out there, and a lot of foolish people who buy from them.

If everything isn't squeaky clean in all respects just walk away.

gremlin1234

posted on 17/10/21 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
no you don't need to worry at all,
all you have to do is: get the car, and, do an IVA on it, and register it as a Q reg...

ps if getting the car I don't think I would get the current paperwork transferred to me.

good luck...

at least you are aware of the problem, and won't just blindly use the incorrectly registered car. and if its being sold as road legal then knock off £2000 because it's not.

theconrodkid

posted on 17/10/21 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
£450 for a test then anything it fails on and a retest at £ 90, could work out expensive

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

adithorp

posted on 17/10/21 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
RINGER!

They've taken the reg+vin from one car and stuck it on another. Illegal and possibly expensive to retrospectively rectify.

Out of idle curiosity, what is it on the v5?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

perksy

posted on 17/10/21 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
There will always be other cars...
woodsy

posted on 18/10/21 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
RINGER!

They've taken the reg+vin from one car and stuck it on another. Illegal and possibly expensive to retrospectively rectify.

Out of idle curiosity, what is it on the v5?

It's down as a Borile

Sanzomat

posted on 18/10/21 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
I'd never heard of Borile but apparently it is an obscure Italian brand of motorcycles. I guess it is possible that the builder had a V5 from a motorcycle and used that reg on the MK. Does the V5 say it is a motorcycle? If so fairly clearly ringed.

On the other hand, when registering a kit properly you do have the option to give it your own make/model for instance if it is a one off special and maybe the original builder called it a Borile for some legitimate reason. At least it isn't registered as a Ford Sierra or a Dutton.

Is it a Q plate?

woodsy

posted on 18/10/21 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat
I'd never heard of Borile but apparently it is an obscure Italian brand of motorcycles. I guess it is possible that the builder had a V5 from a motorcycle and used that reg on the MK. Does the V5 say it is a motorcycle? If so fairly clearly ringed.

On the other hand, when registering a kit properly you do have the option to give it your own make/model for instance if it is a one off special and maybe the original builder called it a Borile for some legitimate reason. At least it isn't registered as a Ford Sierra or a Dutton.

Is it a Q plate?

On the log book it shows as a private/light goods ( PLG) and it's on an 07 plate

ianhurley20

posted on 18/10/21 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a ringer to me as well. Not had an IVA and registered, can't think of a legal reason for that to happen. Don't forget if you buy it, try to register it or it ever gets examined you will not own the legal title to it if it is a ringer and you will lose it to the lawful owner with no financial compensation

woodsy

posted on 18/10/21 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies but you have all pretty much said what i had thought and i'm going to walk away from this one
ianhurley20

posted on 18/10/21 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodsy
Thanks for all the replies but you have all pretty much said what i had thought and i'm going to walk away from this one

Good choice - I think I would tell DVLA and WMP so that someone else doesn't get caught out, stands a good chance this is someones stolen MK!

Sarah

posted on 18/10/21 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
..and maybe a link so we can see it to
woodsy

posted on 19/10/21 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah
..and maybe a link so we can see it to

There was never a for sale ad , i heard about the car through a different forum

adithorp

posted on 19/10/21 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Seems odder than the usual "scrap a knackered Dutton and put it's I.D on an MK"
Why pick an obscure Italian bike manufacturer rather than another kit maker and how do you get that then registered as a car?

Are you possitive it's not been IVA'd.

woodsy

posted on 19/10/21 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Seems odder than the usual "scrap a knackered Dutton and put it's I.D on an MK"
Why pick an obscure Italian bike manufacturer rather than another kit maker and how do you get that then registered as a car?

Are you possitive it's not been IVA'd.

Yes the current owner told me never been for an IVA.

adithorp

posted on 19/10/21 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I was just thinking there is an obscure possibility...

IF it was registered (legit) in 2007 on a new plate then it would have gone through SVA, as IVA didn't start until late 08 I think (mine was SVA'd in May08).

Once SVA'd it could have been registered with any manufacturers name that the builder fancied, as mentioned earlier. (I know one member on here whose vin number refers to his 50th birthday)

So you've built a toy car, why not name it after the painter of an obscure picture called "the toy car"...

https://images.app.goo.gl/R1cfSw9a2F2J7Kzr7

https://www.artfinder.com/v2/product/ilaria-the-toy-car/?preview=1

[Edited on 19/10/21 by adithorp]

snapper

posted on 21/10/21 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
all you have to do is: get the car, and, do an IVA on it, and register it as a Q reg...

ps if getting the car I don't think I would get the current paperwork transferred to me.

good luck...

at least you are aware of the problem, and won't just blindly use the incorrectly registered car. and if its being sold as road legal then knock off £2000 because it's not.

This advise is almost criminal.
NO it is not alright and getting an IVA on a car you have bought is not easy as there is a lot of PROOF that you built it and where the parts came from.
The fact the car has not been IVA’d means you have no idea whether it is anywhere near being compliant or road legal, I would expect the sellers MOT’s are as dodgy as his sale.

Don’t even consider buying this vehicle it’s more dodgy than Delboys mobile phones…

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

sdh2903

posted on 21/10/21 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Surely if its had the manufacturer name changed on the v5 its either been through iva or sva? How else would you change the name? Its not like its registered as a sierra or a dutton.

The other thing is the random name choice only tends to happen with self built from scratch like locosts or Haynes roadsters etc. If you've shelled out for an mk indy why would you then call it something else?

Also you say it's on the v5 as an mk indy but then you say it's registered as a Borile? Whatever is on the v5 is what its registered as? Unless the vins don't tally up?

chillis

posted on 21/10/21 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234

good luck...

Its not that simple, when submitting a car for IVA you need a build history to show you built it, can the seller provide one? plus for all you know the Indy could have been stolen so a genuine ringer
As DJ says just walk away

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.