Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice please: replacing fluorescent tubes with LEDs.
JMW

posted on 13/9/22 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Advice please: replacing fluorescent tubes with LEDs.

Has anyone here got experience replacing fluorescent tubes with a direct wire LED equivalent in the same fixture?

The LED replacement tubes I just got are single ended, i.e. one end is electrically redundant, the pins there just secure the tube.

What has bamboozled me is that the pins at the business end are marked Live and Neutral.

Since the tube can rotate in the fittings, (called tombstones apparently) surely this means it cannot be guaranteed that I get a Live to Live and Neutral to Neutral connection?

Am I right? Does it matter? what are the consequences of it connecting the wrong way round?

Any help would be appreciated.

tegwin

posted on 13/9/22 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
In this instance the live and neutral being reversed won't make any difference. I'm assuming its double insulated so there is no earth.

They do tend to be assembled with directional LEDs inside so you will want to mount them so the emitters point in a sensible direction.

Just pop it in and away you go

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

JMW

posted on 13/9/22 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Brilliant, thank you.
gremlin1234

posted on 13/9/22 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
with that sort of tube you have to modify the light fitting, and effectively remove the 'ballast'
see type B in this article

https://ledt8bulb.com/how-to-replace-fluorescent-tube-lamps-with-led-tubes

chillis

posted on 13/9/22 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I did this with mine, had to re-wire inside the batten to take the transformer out of circuit and convert to only one tombstone powered. Othere than that it was simples and they give much better light at a fraction of the price (90watts instead of 400)

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

BenB

posted on 13/9/22 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I did this at work. The need to removal the ballast depended on whether it was magnetic or electric. A simple way of checking is holding a mobile phone camera up to the light fitting (as if about to take a picture).

https://greenled.co.nz/content/10-how-to-tell-if-you-have-a-magnetic-ballast-or-electronic-ballast

Luckily most of mine didn't need the ballast removing. A few I did just because the old ballasts looked so corroded. The ones with electronic ballasts I usually just opened up spudging open the box and removing the inerds / replacing with straight wires.

David Jenkins

posted on 13/9/22 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
I must do this mod with the fluorescents in my garage - I'm fed up with tired old tubes and faulty starters...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.