Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cam Cover and VHT Wrinkle Paint
Slater

posted on 18/9/22 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Cam Cover and VHT Wrinkle Paint

My 1.8 Zetec Silver Top Cam Cover was looking a bit worn, so I had a go with the VHT etch primer and wrinkle paint, the key is to apply 3 x thick even coats 5 mins apart on a hot sunny dry day and then wait a few hrs for the wrinkles to appear. I left it a few days to harden and also baked it in the oven for 1hr. Seems like a good durable finish, now it looks like a black top Zetec . Quite pleased with the result. I'd practised on some ali offcuts beforehand to see how best to apply the paint.

[img] worn cam cover 12sep22
worn cam cover 12sep22
[/img]

[img] bare ali 12sep22
bare ali 12sep22
[/img]

[img] etch primer 12sep22
etch primer 12sep22
[/img]

[img] wrinkled 1 12sep22
wrinkled 1 12sep22
[/img]

[img] wrinkled 2 12sep22
wrinkled 2 12sep22
[/img]

[img] close up 18spe22
close up 18spe22
[/img]

[img] after 18sep22
after 18sep22
[/img]

[img] VHT Paint tins 18sep22
VHT Paint tins 18sep22
[/img]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

wonderfulweasel

posted on 18/9/22 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Looks much nicer! I’m a big fan of the wrinkle finish, have the same on my crossflow rocker cover. The excitement of seeing the wrinkles appear is child like!
coyoteboy

posted on 18/9/22 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Love it nicely done.

I used the same stuff in red and black. crackle
crackle

nick205

posted on 20/9/22 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Nice job, like the finish.

Satifying to get a good result doing this kind of thing at home. I like the practice run approach and hardening and baking time too. I've found this sort of thing relly helps get good results.

Sanzomat

posted on 20/9/22 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
That looks great. Tempting me to have a go too.
nick205

posted on 21/9/22 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Slater

You mention waiting for a hot, dry and sunny day before painting. Did you warm the cam cover at all before painting?

I ask, because I've found in the past if I warm metal parts (usually over an electric heater) before paiting they seem to paint better. It may be that it helps the paint cure/harden better.

Slater

posted on 22/9/22 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Nick205 - On the tin it says to apply when temp is above 16 degs and low humidity, I'd watched a few youtube clips and it seems like the wrinkle effect is speeded up by application of heat (sun or heat gun). But you really need to get the 3 x (very) thick coats on (5 mins apart) before applying the heat, so warming the item prior to spraying would not be good idea in this case. and don't fanny about with mist coats, just apply each coat thick as you can without getting runs. After the 3 coats I then put it out into the sun and about 1 hr later the thick gloss slowly turns into crinkles, taking 4 hrs to fully wrinkle. Then 2 days in the sun to harden.

I also put it in the oven for 1 hr at 100 deg to fully cure, as per tin instructions, when wife was out, I thought I'd got away with it as I'd managed to get rid of the smell. but then 2 days later when we used the oven again at the normal 180 degs there was a bad smell of burning paint!!! Whoops....I never owned up...

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

nick205

posted on 22/9/22 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Slater

Thanks for the reply and process run down. I've not used VHT Wrinkle Paint before so it's a new one to me. I'm more in tune with rattle cans of primer (usually red oxide) and then rattle cans of top coat.

Thanks again for the detail - looking for something to try now

I'd be in the same position as you with using the kitchen oven and then stinking the pace out with paint fumes

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.