Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Visco vs helical differential
Andrzejsr

posted on 31/10/22 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Visco vs helical differential

I am looking for a opinions and others experience regarding driving type-7 car with Visco-LSD differential and Helical - TorSen differential.

Are there easy to feel / experience differences between both ? In road driving and occasionaly tempting to make rear of the car more 'lively' .

It is for road car with not tuned Zetec 2.0 , not for a track one.

https://aswestfield.wordpress.com/

snapper

posted on 31/10/22 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I run a Quaife ATB (helical/Torsen) diff, you cannot feel it in normal road driving but I do notice it when going hard into a roundabout, there is a moment when the rear feels loose (weightless) then it grips and pulls well out of the roundabout.
I believe that the Ford viscous diff has a very mild LSD effect and was designed for the much heavier Sierra but is the cheapest way to get an LSD in to your car.
Plate (or clutch diffs) need the diff setting up for your particular use unlike a viscous or Torsen diff

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

pewe

posted on 31/10/22 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
On the hairdresser's I have a Torsen.
It gives very positive drive especially out of tight corners.
The only problem is it makes a god-awful clanking noise if you try and use it on a skid pan.
Interestingly a mate's Nissan Z also sounded terrible on the same pan.
The 5 owners with viscous diffs report they aren't as long lasting as mechanical diffs - worth bearing in mind if you're buying second-hand,
I don't know the specific reasons for that but i assume either Youtube or one of the many MX5 forums can tell you.

Andrzejsr

posted on 31/10/22 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yes in the case of visco need to be sure it was taken from a car where it was really working nice ( by chance have such opurtinity from a sierra with 30 000 km years ago and landed on the shelf, but with 3,62 ratiio , need to open, inspect etc to put my current 3,92 ratio from open one). Or be prepared to change the grease/silicone or what it is inside between plates.
Also talked to a man who have some experience with Sierras, says that this grease can become hard as stone and destroy diff including .

By the way my current open (that was described when I was buing it) diff is strange behaving - when rear wheels up, and I turn left wheel , right wheel tuns in the same direction . I thought that is the behaviour of LSD diffs ? also when turning driveshaft with those wheels up both turn in one direction.
If other person keeps one wheel stedy , I can quilt lightly turn the other wheel (again both rear wheels in the air)/ I am little confused. One person I talked to who had few Sierras, told my I might have a LSD but with heavily degraded grease. But not likely, as I was buing it from a company who rather knows technical aspetcs and in price of open diff rather than (even in the need of changing a grease) LSD ( Plyskool , yes, I heard of the end, but cant think they dont know if its open or dead LSD. In the end will need to look inside .

One more I thoughtm, maybe there are some risistance inside the diff (bearing or sth) that mimics some traction grip even when wheels up so diff "thinks" both tyres have grip so both turn one direction?

In the car , driving, trying to take a turn more "spirited way" its not behaving how I suppouse LSD should.

So anyway during winter need to take it out., Just thinking which way to go visco or helical. That behavior of helical "engaging" I suppouse is not observed in Visco ? for road car that plus for visco I think .

pewe

posted on 1/11/22 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andrzejsr
So anyway during winter need to take it out., Just thinking which way to go visco or helical. That behavior of helical "engaging" I suppouse is not observed in Visco ? for road car that plus for visco I think .

TBH the only time I've been aware of the Torsen engaging has been on the skid pan - otherwise it locks up smoothly - so much fun on tight uphill hairpins as you plant your right foot on the apex and rocket up the hill - oh yes!

Andrzejsr

posted on 1/11/22 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, now understrand.

Wonder if there are users of Blackline Traction Torsen diffs ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.