Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Volvo Turbo - how / what / etc.
Steve Lovelock

posted on 3/2/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Volvo Turbo - how / what / etc.

Seen Mr Volvorsport talk about Volvo turbo engines every now and then so I thought I'd ask, in case it hasn't asked before, what engine fits into a '7'? What is involved in mating it to a type 9? how much does it cost? etc.

Steve

Volvorsport

posted on 4/2/05 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
if you havent already fitted an engine , any of the volvo gearboxes are a match for the type 9 , so that wouldnt be the first prob . engine height is , so figure on a pinto type build - opefully ill be able to comment more constuctively on exactly how youll fit the engine , as its work in progress at the mo , an NA engine , nicely tuned can go to 220 hp on pretty much std internals , a turbo engine , upto 350 hp , if you have good control over fuelling/timing , im just developing a MAP for about 250 hp , so watch this space .

AND yes , its nice to have somebody listening /appreciating that ford isnt the only donor !!!

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

DarrenW

posted on 4/2/05 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Are the Saab turbo engines a similar sort of beast. You never hear much about them being unreliable - i guess they are bullet proof as well.

Volvorsport

posted on 4/2/05 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
depends which saab engine you mean - some are very reliable and will produce lots of hp with major mods , there has been some discussion, i beleive dave walker is building one for a grasser .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Baalzamon

posted on 4/2/05 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
What volvo turbo engine are you talking about? I guess it is 240, 740 or 940, and then there is no point in mating it to a ford gearbox. It will be a lot easier just to use the gearbox from the donor car.

The newer saab turbo engine is just as relieble, and maybe a better choice for a seven kind of car. Best choice is a 2,0T newer then -94, it should fit some of the opel (vauxhall) omega gearbox.

Steve Lovelock

posted on 5/2/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I should have said that I don't have an engine yet, I do have a Luego XT kit though and am looking for the cheapest way to get as much BHP as possible. I know nothing about Volvo cars though so would appreciate an idea of what is involved to get a turbo engine into a Luego chassis.
phelpsa

posted on 5/2/05 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Weren't Saab engines very slanted?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 5/2/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
As slanted as RWD Volvo ones, all the better to fit under the bonnet.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.