Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bonnet Bulge/Scoop ?
Deckman001

posted on 7/4/23 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Bonnet Bulge/Scoop ?

So, I have fitted the zetec and am nearing the point of covering the parts of it that I have to cut the bonnet and nose cone for clearance.

What have people used within the 'locost' rules

The scoop or bulge needs to be greater than 290mm wide at the front, but no bigger than 350mm, the length needs to be greater than 200mm and the height needs to be 40mm.

So far I can't find anything close to these, everything seams upto 250mm wide or over 400mm ?

Thanks for any replies.

Jason

jacko

posted on 7/4/23 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Check up on this but mk used as shogun bonnet bulge. As a pattern for the mk Indy
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JAG

posted on 7/4/23 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Is this an Aluminium or Fibreglass bonnet?

I've recently raised my engine by 25mm and it used to rub on the underside of my bonnet in the old position. So I'm pretty sure I shall need a bulge in my Aluminium bonnet before I can re-fit it.

My plan was to anneal the Aluminium and then slowly and carefully 'beat-the'sh1t' out of it to form a lovely, smooth bonnet bulge that covers the engine and allows the bonnet to be fitted to the Scuttle, Chassis and Nosecone. Just like it did before I raised the engine.

That's the plan - I shall see if it works soon

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

BenB

posted on 7/4/23 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure the STM bulge was also Shogun
harmchar

posted on 7/4/23 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Don’t know if this one fits your sizes. I was looking for one as well after changing from single Webber to bike carbs. Now have a hole in bonnet where K&N filter used to stick through.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314493320948?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=g7a-gmuot8-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=HJhPVNr7Rbi &var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Deckman001

posted on 10/4/23 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, my bonnet is f/glass and I've had to cut a long hole for the air filter and it also has to clear the top of the front carbs too, but I think I've got that issue covered, well the carb tops are not sharp, and I've put edge trim on the air filter brackets.
Sadly most bonnet scoops are between 200 and 250mm which is too small for my zetec clearance. I think I'll need to get a 400mm wide one and then cut it down to suit.

Jason

pewe

posted on 11/4/23 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Easy enough to make your own from GRP.
I made mine using a card former then took a mould from that and laid up the final shape starting with a gel coat.
Most GRP suppliers offer starter kits or will pull one together for you if you tell them what you're after.
GRP takes a bit of practise but it's cheap enough to warrant a few trial and error moulds to achieve good results.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.