Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Date of first Registration policy
pfedwards

posted on 20/9/23 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Date of first Registration policy

Does anyone understand the DVLA policy for Date of first Registration?

I recently passed my IVA and applied for registration with the DVLA. The car uses some components from a 1992 Ford Sierra and the V5 for the donor car was provided with the application.
I was awarded an age related 'K' reg number which is what I wanted and expected.

However, the Date of First Registration is 01 08 2023.
On the front of the new V5 says 'Rebuilt - assembled from parts some or all of which were not new'

I questioned the Date of first Registration with the the DVLA kitcar department who say 'The date of registration is when the new vehicle is registered and should not be taken from the date of registration of the donor vehicle.'

This is inconsistent with a lot of registered kitcars already on the road.

It seems illogical to have an age related plate and a Date of first registration of 2023?

It's not a problem for me, just trying to understand their policy and logic?

What have others experienced recently?

P.S. It comes up as ULEZ compliant

[Edited on 20/9/23 by pfedwards]

adithorp

posted on 21/9/23 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Your car first exist until you registered it. The donor was scrapped at that time. That was its first registration and therefore that's the date of first registration.
TimC

posted on 21/9/23 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Yes - same as my recent Q-plate and as-expected.
russbost

posted on 21/9/23 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Until fairly recently (during IVA) you got a date 1st registered, which would be that of the donor & a separate date of 1st reg in UK, or similar wording to that - I take it they've dropped the 2nd date?

I can understand why they might do that as it could be confusing, my Furores used to get a date 1st reg like 1987 or 89, whatever & a date 1st reg in uk of 2012. 2017 or whenever submitted

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Deckman001

posted on 21/9/23 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget though, that vehicles get 3 years of MOT exemption from the vehicles first year of registry, if you had a pre dated first registry, you'd loose the exemption.

Jason

Sanzomat

posted on 21/9/23 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pfedwards
Does anyone understand the DVLA policy for Date of first Registration?

I recently passed my IVA and applied for registration with the DVLA. The car uses some components from a 1992 Ford Sierra and the V5 for the donor car was provided with the application.
I was awarded an age related 'K' reg number which is what I wanted and expected.

However, the Date of First Registration is 01 08 2023.
On the front of the new V5 says 'Rebuilt - assembled from parts some or all of which were not new'

I questioned the Date of first Registration with the the DVLA kitcar department who say 'The date of registration is when the new vehicle is registered and should not be taken from the date of registration of the donor vehicle.'

This is inconsistent with a lot of registered kitcars already on the road.

It seems illogical to have an age related plate and a Date of first registration of 2023?

It's not a problem for me, just trying to understand their policy and logic?

What have others experienced recently?

P.S. It comes up as ULEZ compliant

[Edited on 20/9/23 by pfedwards]

I believe that what they have done is completely correct. Date of first registration of your current car is the date that car was registered. The note re "assembled with parts... .. some not new.. " is the standard text for an age related and the V5 would not normally state the donor age/registration date.

Unfortunately DVLA don't always understand or apply their own rules so there are plenty of kits cars that note their date of registration as the donor's. I have two kit cars. My GTM was SVA'd in 2004 and registered soon after, got an age related reg same year as the single donor's of 1994 but the V5 says (correctly) date of first registration 2004 but with the "assembled from parts" note.
My Locost was also SVA'd in 2004 but the V5 incorrectly gives a date of first registration of 1988 (and it has an F reg) based on the age of the Sierra that sufficient parts came from to get age related. It also says declared new at first registration. It is registered as a Locost. This is clearly mostly nonsense as the car in this form didn't exist in 1988 so it should say 2004.

ianhurley20

posted on 21/9/23 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was registered in 2018 with parts which gave a 'S' plate. I don't see any problem,the plate is age related so helps MOT testers with emisions etc and it is a newly created car for MOT issues, ie 3 years before needed. After all its been through IVA which is much more stringent than a normal MOT. OP seems the same
pfedwards

posted on 23/9/23 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Until fairly recently (during IVA) you got a date 1st registered, which would be that of the donor & a separate date of 1st reg in UK, or similar wording to that - I take it they've dropped the 2nd date?

I can understand why they might do that as it could be confusing, my Furores used to get a date 1st reg like 1987 or 89, whatever & a date 1st reg in uk of 2012. 2017 or whenever submitted

Thanks, Russ. That is what I was expecting and I've checked a few cars that are registered like that to reflect the age of the donor parts and to reflect the age related plate.

Just wondering if they have changed their policy or if mine has been done wrong?

Of course, it's the DVLA so I'll probably never get a straight answer

pfedwards

posted on 23/9/23 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Don't forget though, that vehicles get 3 years of MOT exemption from the vehicles first year of registry, if you had a pre dated first registry, you'd loose the exemption.

Jason

Yeah, good point and it's ULEZ compliant as well

fishywick

posted on 24/9/23 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Although the V5 gives a first registration date of 2023 if you check the DVLA tax/MOT status site it will probably show date of first registration as 2023 BUT date of manufacture as 1992. Mine certainly does.

The next bit doesn't relate to the OP but might be useful to others...

The date of manufacture is the one used for historic tax purposes ie. if the maufacture date is more than 40 years it is eligble for histiric tax. In my case a 1978 donor so is eligble - DVLA atcually wrote to me and suggested it!

Of course that does not necessarily mean it is exempt from MOT because as well as being built or registered 40+ years ago it must have had no 'substantial changes' in the last 30+ years ie. as a kit car 30+ years after it was registered as such.
In my case it won't be eligble to be MOT exempt until 2030 as it was registered as a kit car in 2000.

Thats my understanding from recent experience anyway.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.