Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help needed keeping my cars UK registered
votanxerxes

posted on 12/11/23 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Help needed keeping my cars UK registered

Looking for someone who can help me keeping my kit cars registered in the UK while I am in Germany... already checked with DVLA for options and possible issues. A landlord renting out a micro spot would be easiest but any other ideas vi U2U are welcome, too.
scudderfish

posted on 12/11/23 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
What do you need to achieve?
votanxerxes

posted on 12/11/23 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I do own some bike engined cars like a Fury and a locust.... and these are simply impoossible to register in Germany. And to keep them legally registered as rhd UK cars, I do need to have a theoretical storage address and be reachable by mail under that address with some sort of landlord contract. A friend helped me in the past with this... but he is out of the UK for good now.
coyoteboy

posted on 13/11/23 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not use your existing UK address international redirect? It's only a couple of hundred a year and the sender has no idea.
As someone living in NL with cars in NL and UK, the biggest headache is the driving license. edit - now I understand, I mis-read the first time. If I was in the UK more than once a month, I'd offer a space on my drive.

[Edited on 13/11/2023 by coyoteboy]

Half Finished

posted on 13/11/23 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I can't help on the garage side. I had a question though regarding the insurance, have you found a company to cover a car in Europe on UK plates?
coyoteboy

posted on 13/11/23 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Half Finished
Sorry I can't help on the garage side. I had a question though regarding the insurance, have you found a company to cover a car in Europe on UK plates?

I have not, I tried. In fact most say that if you are not officially resident in the UK your insurance is void.

Half Finished

posted on 13/11/23 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

I have not, I tried. In fact most say that if you are not officially resident in the UK your insurance is void.

That's a problem I hadn't even considered. What's the alternative? Getting it imported and trying to find insurance in europe?

coyoteboy

posted on 13/11/23 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
That's a problem I hadn't even considered. What's the alternative? Getting it imported and trying to find insurance in europe?

I exported my tin top to NL where they were never imported officially, I had to get a c of c from Nissan and it went thru as normal (1k in fees). If it was a kit car I could do an extended registration test like an IVA.

Leaving my other tin top in the UK meant I had to find an insurance company that just didn't say anything on the policy documents about driver residence, and you only get those when you sign up. It's genuinely stupid. I live there, I have my family here. I have to insure a car in both places, no one wants to insure you here if you dont live here, and what's worse is that you have to swap your UK license to a Dutch one after 6 months, which makes everything even more difficult because then when you call back up for your next year's UK insurance, you have to give them dutch/german license details and they freak out. In NL though, car insurance is per car - my insurance would be the same cost as yours in the same location, and you can borrow anyone's car so long as someone has a policy on it.

Brexit has made the whole thing even more difficult too, because most of the authorities are not really sure how they handle it.

Half Finished

posted on 13/11/23 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

I exported my tin top to NL where they were never imported officially, I had to get a c of c from Nissan and it went thru as normal (1k in fees). If it was a kit car I could do an extended registration test like an IVA.

Leaving my other tin top in the UK meant I had to find an insurance company that just didn't say anything on the policy documents about driver residence, and you only get those when you sign up. It's genuinely stupid. I live there, I have my family here. I have to insure a car in both places, no one wants to insure you here if you dont live here, and what's worse is that you have to swap your UK license to a Dutch one after 6 months, which makes everything even more difficult because then when you call back up for your next year's UK insurance, you have to give them dutch/german license details and they freak out. In NL though, car insurance is per car - my insurance would be the same cost as yours in the same location, and you can borrow anyone's car so long as someone has a policy on it.

Brexit has made the whole thing even more difficult too, because most of the authorities are not really sure how they handle it.

Both routes seem equally impossible right now. I've still got a UK license but in the next year I need to exchange it for a Hungarian one.
I originally thought I could get a UK policy and drive for up to 180 days in each year.
I imagine I won't find too many insurers in Europe that will cover a Haynes Roadster either.

I need to IVA my project next year hopefully. Do you recommended any particular insurers?

coyoteboy

posted on 13/11/23 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen two locosts on the road in Holland, so maybe it's possible. Also look at import to a helpful country (Spain) then taking it into your final country as an EU car which incurs much less faff.

I drove my UK insured car in Holland for 6 months as you have suggested, then found out they recently changed the game and it's only 2 weeks 🤣 but it'd been there for 4 months and I was bringing it back anyway so I didn't have any fun with the law.

gremlin1234

posted on 13/11/23 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I think I would ask
https://www.kitcarcollection.com/kitcarsite/
they are NL based, and import uk kit cars.

also remember imported vehicles to UK over 10 years* old are exempt from uk iva, so there may be a similar exception in de or nl.

* you may need to prove they were as their current form, and completely road legal in the country of origin at that date.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.