Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving without MOT or tax
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/11/23 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Driving without MOT or tax

Hi,

After resurrecting my Volvo from the dead, it's booked in for the MOT on the 1st at my very local garage at the top of the street! It's been sitting totally unused and unloved for over 2 years (I thought I was going to scrap it...) and although it's had tons of work done lately, it really needs a good hard drive to sort it out, which I'd like to do before the MOT. I'm insuring it tonight so that's covered. Sods law the police will magically appear behind me if I take it for a spin... too risky?

Cheers, me.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 22/11/23 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Police, cameras, DVSA, personally I wouldn't take the risk. What I would do (and this is still a bit questionable) is take it for an extended detour on MOT day. Of course that doesn't give you much time to fix anything but at least it'll get rid of the cobwebs.
adithorp

posted on 22/11/23 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
You've done work on it but you're not confident it's good enough to pass an mot (safety inspection) so you think giving it "a good hard drive" will "sort it out"?
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/11/23 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
You've done work on it but you're not confident it's good enough to pass an mot (safety inspection) so you think giving it "a good hard drive" will "sort it out"?

Mainly the brakes as I've cleaned the disks and pads but their not new but not worn either so bedding them in would be beneficial. Engines only sat idling for a few hours but could do with a good thrashing to get rid of carbon. The cars probably in better condition than it's been in a decade and is a real flyer, so I'm not worried about it not being up to par. Once it's passed I'm going to take it for a blast up North for the day

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 22/11/23 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
What I would do is book the MoT and just do it.
All you're doing is bedding in the brakes, the engine can be run up on the drive... actually if you get the thing on stands the driven wheels can be bedded in nicely, warm the gearbox up too. It's not a race car, the brakes will bed quickly on the MoT rollers anyway, so what's the problem..
If it's a diesel, a good few pumps on the throttle should clear the system, with Thunberg feeling a disturbance in the Force.

If you're sure it's a bedding 'issue', you can always take the fail, drive it home, rebook. Unlikely though, in my experience (worth nothing of course).

craig1410

posted on 22/11/23 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I agree, just go reasonably directly to your MOT station and do 5 stops from 60MPH to 20MPH with ideally 30 seconds between them at 60MPH to cool down again. Don't be tempted, as some are, to drive along with your foot gently on the brake as this will just glaze the pads.

It needs to be, let's say 50-60% of max braking effort each time with perhaps the first time a bit less to just clear any loose surface rust. Once you hit 20MPH then accelerate back to 60MPH promptly to cool them down.

Also, make sure you have a quarter tank of fuel at least as you wouldn't be the first to be failed due to a lack of fuel after a car was off the road for a while.

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/11/23 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the reply's.

Only caveat is my MOT garage is about 1/8 of a mile away in a 20mph zone i.e. the top of our street it will be fine...

coyoteboy

posted on 23/11/23 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Cheers for the reply's.

Only caveat is my MOT garage is about 1/8 of a mile away in a 20mph zone i.e. the top of our street it will be fine...

That's ok, the police don't know where the car was stored prior to the MOT.

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/11/23 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Cheers for the reply's.

That's ok, the police don't know where the car was stored prior to the MOT.

Exactly, miles and miles away... and yes I just happen to be going the opposite direction officer...I got lost!

ianhurley20

posted on 23/11/23 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Why not book it into a place a distance away for an MOT at the same time as the one you are going to. If you actually know the garage you can tell them you will not actually attend. Then go for a drive which includes both target stations. I bought a car at an auction about 100 miles away from where I live, phoned and booked an MOT at my local station and drove said 100 ish miles to my local test station. No problems except it failed. 3 year old 20000 mile BMW X1 2 days outside MOT age

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.