Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tsunami
Hellfire

posted on 15/2/05 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
Tsunami

I never realised just how frightening it must have been...

sean951

posted on 15/2/05 at 02:02 AM Reply With Quote
i have seen this on other sites and i am wondering if its photoshoped. if it was from a news site i wouldnt ask questions, but i was under the impression that the wave was not higher than 30 ft, because it imulated the size of land mass that shifts under the water during the quake.
Chris Green

posted on 15/2/05 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
yeah, that is a fake photo.

The cars are driving on the wrong side of the road apparently?

Story Here

splitrivet

posted on 15/2/05 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Saw a Vid a holidaymaker took as it happened on the news a while back and no way was it that high, looked more like about 6-10 ft.
I spose it varied in hieght due to local geography.
I think it was the back wash that killed most dragging them out to sea.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Hellfire

posted on 15/2/05 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
There is always at least one Photoshop whizz that does this sort of thing... makes light of a very serious situation. How very sad they are...

richijenkin

posted on 15/2/05 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that it was fake, and everyone knew it. Its just an atrisits impression of what it would have looked like, as everyone who survived to tell the story of "the big wave" didnt have underwater cameras.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 15/2/05 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
i think that the wave was a bit bigger than most of the vids showed, as already said, after two progressively bigger waves most people were running...

but yeah, i think 6 - 10 feet is still pretty damning.

anyone hear about that atlantic underwater cliff? it was speculated that if it colapsed, the wave would traverse england!

maybe a slight exaggeration there, but you get the idea

[Edited on 15/2/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

flak monkey

posted on 15/2/05 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
There is another one due somewhere on the coast of africa too...a huge cliff collapse, apparently if it went down the wave would cross the atlantic and go straight into New YorkOf course by the time it got to NY it would be rather large, and travelling at some rediculous speed........(I seem to remember talking about it in a geography lesson a long while back!)

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

theconrodkid

posted on 15/2/05 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
thats part of the canaries i think

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

flak monkey

posted on 15/2/05 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh yes heres the info...loads of info available in various places...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/267299p-228989c.html

Its not a cliff collapse...more like half a volcano collapsing into the sea...

A little excerpt....

"If there were a major eruption of Cumbre Vieja volcano on La Palma, in the Canary Islands, scientists say, a 12-mile chunk of the island could be sent plunging into the ocean, creating a tsunami.

The tsunami would travel across the Atlantic at the speed of a jetliner – up to 600 mph.

After 8 to 10 hours, waves up to 75 feet high could crash onto shorelines from the Caribbean to beyond Boston. In flat, coastal areas, tidal waves could wreak havoc for miles inland."

[Edited on 15/2/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

greggors84

posted on 15/2/05 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a video of the a town a mile or so inland from the coast, and the water was just surging through the town, picking up everything in its path including cars, shacks, trees. There is no way you could survive it, no matter how good a swimmer you were, the only way out was to get on top of the buildings.

When i first heard about the water washing people away, i thought it would have just risen so would have been like a flood, but i never realised how much debris the water picks up.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

flak monkey

posted on 15/2/05 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
When you think about it its not suprising the amount of damage water does...though it is still astounding.

Remember water weighs 1tonne/m^3. When you have millions of m^3 heading your way theres not a lot that will hold up to it. People hit by the initial wave were probably crushed rather than drowned.

One of my aunts friends was killed by the wave, but luckily her body wasnt dragged out to sea...she was on holiday with her family and had just got out of the car to go to the supermarket...the rest of her family stayed in the car and all survived. Serious case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time...

David

Sera

imull

posted on 16/2/05 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
total wave height was over 30ft. actual waves were also up to 30ft in places but more often around 10 to 15 afaik/

a tsunami produces a waves of extreme wavelength though which creates a plateau that was about 15 foot tall apparently. this flooded teh towns and the waves created a surge...

would suspect that most were killed by debris or not finding a dry spot to hide.

Personally think saying that its sad is a bit over sensitive. It was a horrific situation that noone would want to see again, however if you cant laugh and make light about these tragedies (whilst still repecting the trauma) then whats life coming too... perhaps my entire circle of friends is sad too

stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/2/05 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkeyOne of my aunts friends was killed by the wave, but luckily her body wasnt dragged out to sea...she was on holiday with her family and had just got out of the car to go to the supermarket...the rest of her family stayed in the car and all survived. Serious case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time...

David

i specifically remember that being told on the news - think she was only in her 30s or early 40s. crap way to go

atb

steve

flak monkey

posted on 17/2/05 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Yes that sounds like it could have been her, it was in our local paper at the time. She was one of my Aunts doctor friends, but i cant remember exactly what she did. She wouldnt have been very old has she had a young family.

Sera

nick baker

posted on 17/2/05 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I live in Sweden.

I know a large amount of people who've been affected by it, and some who've had thier lives irreversably ruined.

it sucks.

Interesting that the American donation was not as large as the amount spent on GW's inaugural celebrations...

If you think one poorly photo-shopped image is sick.... try this: www.godhatessweden.com
Some people just need a damned good thrashing. *bring on Basil Fawlty*

'nuff said.

Alan B

posted on 17/2/05 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick baker

Interesting that the American donation was not as large as the amount spent on GW's inaugural celebrations...

Interesting, yet utterly irrelevant....

Alan (who is still counting his worldwide donations to help pay for his hurricane damage)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.