Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Repainting a powder coated chassis
Dave Bailey

posted on 24/2/05 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Repainting a powder coated chassis

Hi!,
I have a second hand (but unbuilt) Velocity chassis that is showing a few signs of the powder coating lifting. I can't decide whether to build as is or get the existing coating off and powder coat again. Anyone had powder coating removed and then the chassis re-painted.
What sort of cost should I plan for including the wishbones.......

thanks
Dave B.

[Edited on 24/2/05 by Dave Bailey]

antonyg

posted on 24/2/05 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
hi, i had my chassis shotblasted and primed for £60 cash in hand job
just ask around local shotblasters i'm sure someone will do it cheap
Cheers

Dave Bailey

posted on 24/2/05 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks.........

I have called a few local powder coating companies and all of them advised differently. The only price I have at the moment is £400 to clean off, prime and epoxy two pack. No guarantee that they could get the existing powder coat off.

Pondering on whether the final finish will
be worse than I have now.

Anyone experienced how the Velocity powder coat stands up to general road use.....

thanks

JonBowden

posted on 24/2/05 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder what would happen if you bought several tins of nitromorse then painted that on. Would it lift the powder coat off easily ?

Jon

kb58

posted on 24/2/05 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
I asked a local powdercoater if they'd sandblast and repaint a rusted, powdercoated screen door. They said by the time they got the powercoat off and it painted, I'd have paid more then just getting a new door...

So at least in this case, they wanted to blast the old powdercoat off first.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Terrapin_racing

posted on 25/2/05 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Having been this route before, the problems that can be ecountered are:

Paint stripper will often not remove PC

Approach i adopted was to have the chassis hot caustic dipped (furniture firm - use on pine etc)
This removes the majority of the PC

The blast clean

expect to spend £100 getting the chassis back to clean metal

Then expect about £150 for etch prime and professional powder coating (whic should not peel!)

[Edited on 25/2/05 by Terrapin_racing]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dave Bailey

posted on 27/2/05 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all of the responses!

I have spoken to a local company who say they can get the powder off by grit blasting. They then will metal spray and powder the chassis and wishbones all for £300. The process is then good for 10 - 15 years they say. They use a material designed for sea water locations. If it turns out as good as they say it will be money well spent.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.