Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Parking brake cable
fastenuff

posted on 13/3/05 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Parking brake cable

I've looked through the haynes manual a few times but I can't figure out what the trick is to loosen the parking brake cable from the backplate of the drums. Been horsing around for a while now.
Or is the only solution to grind of the bush on the inside of the brake?

thanks Fastenuff

Ingmar

Mr G

posted on 13/3/05 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not totally 100% sure of your exact problem so forgive me if i'm barking up the wrong tree. There is a retaining clip that sits on the hole were the handbrake outer cable goes through the backplate.

Is that stopping you? What do you mean by 'bush' ?

Cheers

G

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/05 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cortina Axle ? ---- the cable clipped into the back plate a couple of different ways depending on year and brake supplier, usually the application of a large screwdriver and hammer did the trick
fastenuff

posted on 13/3/05 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
sorry guys its the sierra rear end and yes it is that @#$@ retainingclip. Prob best sorted with the grinder

just thought that ford would have made it easier to replace than destroying the clip. But prob just me being over optimistic and prob to "gentle" with this part.
I like and use my engineers hamer whenever I can bending brackets out of the way, rather then undoying extra bolts.

fastenuff

[Edited on 13/3/05 by fastenuff]

Ingmar

jollygreengiant

posted on 14/3/05 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
spin clip round on cable inside drum and ping it of with a screw driver. slide clip of inner cable, pull outer cable out of back plate, refit clip to cable. Job Done.

Enjoy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

fastenuff

posted on 14/3/05 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
there is/was so much muck in the drum everthing looked solid. I got the clip ( once identified as clip) of and now soking the lot in WD40, as there is no such thing happening as pulling the outer cable out. Already gave the bit sticking out a treatment with the hamer. Seems there is still some secondairy thing holding it in place. I'll just wait for the WD40 to do it's job so I can see what I'm doing.

Ingmar

Steve Hnz

posted on 24/3/05 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
You've probably well cracked it by now, but if you haven't???
I filed the inner diameter of a washer ( 12mm from memory) until it would just slide over the inner end of the clip but was tight enough to depress the fingers on the clip that splay out & retain it in the backing plate. Popped out easy then. Cheers, Steve

fastenuff

posted on 27/3/05 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
yes got it sorted finding the clip in all the muck and then hit i t with the hammer.

Ingmar

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.