Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec flywheel
derby allen

posted on 15/3/05 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec flywheel

Can anyone tell me if there is a right or wrong Flywheel to use on a Zetec, I have installed a 1.8 but have a problem with no spark, sure the Sensor is not in line with the Flywheel holes, so engine out to have a good look and probably the need to change the flywheel as well. any advise welcome
Mix

posted on 15/3/05 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Was the engine originally coupled to an automatic box?
If so you will need a crankshaft position sensor housing from a manual setup to acheive the correct sensor / flywheel allignment.

Mick

derby allen

posted on 15/3/05 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Mick
I am beginning to think so,I never had the gear box with it, although I did have two flywheels at the time so i used the better one of the two, so not sure what i stuck on it, Having taken the sensor out and looked in with a torch the flywheel holes appear to be to far to the right, reason for question is: Depending what i can get from the scrappy i will use. I.e. 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 but which one can you use.
I know the auto is no good.

Mix

posted on 15/3/05 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Just had a quick compare in the garage as I have both types of housing.

The auto housing protrudes about 20mm from the forward face of the block flange that the gearbox mounts on. The manual one protrudes about 2mm.

Note it is the housings that are different, as far as I'm aware the CPS is the same item.

Mick

derby allen

posted on 15/3/05 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Mick. Not sure what you mean exactly, does that mean regardless of what i have put in it should still work regarding the CPS, Clutch operation, Gears and drive seem fine when turning the engine over, I just cant get any spark, Changed the coil packs and sensors, even sent the Dunnell management system back to Dunnell and they said it was fine, so can only put it down to the Pickup at the flywheel, Last thing i want to do is strip the engine to take it out just so i can check.
Steve

Mix

posted on 15/3/05 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
First the good news

Provided that it is a Zetec flywheel you have fitted it should be fairly easy to make it all work.
The CPS is housed in an alloy housing which is bolted to the block, (from the inside unfortunately)
This housing comes in two designs to allow manual and auto transmission setups.
The easiest way to determine which you have is to apply the measurements I indicated above.
If you have an auto style housing it will need to be replaced with a manual one which will then place the CPS in the correct position.

The bad news

You will have to split the engine and gearbox and remove the flywheel to replace the housing.

Mick

derby allen

posted on 15/3/05 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Mick
Think i understand now!, the housing you refer to is the the round insert approx 40mm, as you stated bolted from the inside. I take it these are what are different. I am sure that the Flywheel fitted is a Zetec, Holes line up etc plus it has the Holes topick up a sensor on the rear of the flywheel. looks like engine out job then.
Thanks for the help
Steve

Mix

posted on 15/3/05 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
That's the one, just measure how far forward it protrudes to establish which type you have.

Mick

derby allen

posted on 15/3/05 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Mick you have PM
Steve.
Ps I could send a picture to you of what i have currently
Steve

Mix

posted on 15/3/05 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Here you go

Just noticed from the photo that the mounting bolt position is another indicator of which type you have.

[Edited on 15/3/05 by Mix] Rescued attachment CPS-Housings.gif
Rescued attachment CPS-Housings.gif

derby allen

posted on 15/3/05 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Mick
Mant Thanks, you beat me to sending Pictures, The spare I have is the manual but need to check what is iinstalled, starting to think I have a auto Flywheel installed, Are the holes in a different offset. i.e is the auto more to the right as you you look from the outside
Steve

Mix

posted on 15/3/05 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Auto 'flywheel' is just a pressed mild steel affair about 25mm thick. It's main purpose being to locate the starter ring gear. I'm certain you would not be able to mount a clutch to it.
Soo if you've fitted a clutch you havn't got an auto 'flyweel' fitted.

Mick

big_wasa

posted on 15/3/05 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thats just answered a question/problem for me..I thourght the breakers had kept half my fly wheel ?from what you have described ,I have the auto one...good job I have al the bits for the 1.8l aswell.....

big_wasa

posted on 15/3/05 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Does the fact that the engine has come from an automatic mean it will have led an easier life????
Mix

posted on 16/3/05 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Yep!!
That's an auto 'flywheel' so I guess you'll be looking for a manual CPS housing aswell.

You referred to getting a new MT75 release bearing in another post. I was unable to source that item separately so don't throw away the old one until you do.

Mick

big_wasa

posted on 20/3/05 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Allready have the cps housing from the 1.8.
I bourght a 1.8 on ebay which was rodgered..I sold block and head as scrap and made £5 profit and still got to keep all the other bits...good job really.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.