Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Disused Airfields
Findlay234

posted on 21/3/05 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Disused Airfields

Anyone know of any (or any links to anyone who does know) disused airfield in the nottingham/leicester area that can be used for driving on, ive looked on multimap and seen loads of "disused" but when you google them you find out theyre used by gliding clubs and such like. There are a couple of possibilities such as North Luffenham and Great Dalby.

Any ideas?

nick205

posted on 21/3/05 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ifyou're not after doing to much you could look for a big industrial estate and go on a Sunday. Most estates are pretty dead on a Sunday and as long as you're not being a lunatic you should be OK.

Nick

locoboy

posted on 21/3/05 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the estates that are big enough to warrent going to for a drive around tend to have some form or either on site security with an entry / exit barrier or they have regular patrols from mobile security firms.

I got moved on from one a while back on a sunday afternoon ..............all i was doing was having a sleep because i started doing the nodding dog on the way home after a late night out on the ming, thought i was doing the sensible thing but Mr jobsworth thought it safer to send me back out onto the road

ATB
Locoboy

ned

posted on 21/3/05 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
what about private/farm estates with long driveways, they're very infrequently used in my experience. there's one not far from me that could come in handy...

also business parks that aren't used at the weekends could be an option..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 21/3/05 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
All the above are fine - up to a point.

But they will all have kerbs and fences and lamp posts. Nice........

Shell out for a track day and really give it some beans - safe in the knowledge that there are marshalls and paramedics if it realllllllyyy goes wrong.

The other thing - disused airfield can have really abysmal tarmac. Having recently seen charterhall, which used to be a circuit, I would never take any sort of sports car to a really genuinely disused airfield.

[Edited on 21/3/05 by zilspeed]

phelpsa

posted on 21/3/05 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
what about private/farm estates with long driveways, they're very infrequently used in my experience.
Ned.

Arent they called hillclimbs???

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Findlay234

posted on 21/3/05 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Well the idea is to give the car a shakedown before sva, thinking about the industrial estate thing but then again im wanting to get some speeds up and get some distance in as well.

I know theres an airfield down at home (south bucks) but might be taking my car up to uni after the hols to carry on with it there.... if i can get a garage that is..

Fin

ReMan

posted on 21/3/05 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know, North Luffenham is disused by the RAF but occupied by the Army
Old Dalby is mainly industrial but with security
Sorry

stephen_gusterson

posted on 21/3/05 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
u2u paulf

he used a disused airfield in desborough northants.

check his past posts out and you might find his details about the test run

atb

steve

here ya go
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=13696

[Edited on 21/3/05 by stephen_gusterson]

flyingkiwi

posted on 22/3/05 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
If you give me a couple of weeks I will find out what's about near Cottesmore. Just been posted up there and the guy who run's the car club say's that the RAF have a disused airfield that they use for their racing cars to practice on. Gonna use it myself to pre sva test run the car, when its finished.

Might look into booking it for a day and open it up to anyone who wants to do a bit of testing. Thats if I'm allowed though.

Will keep you posted!

Cheers
Chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

kaymar

posted on 22/3/05 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
yes i know of one!!!!!!!!! that may be in your region i did training there with the aa. but i cant recall the exact place was on the border of leiceter i will make enquiries and trace contact no of owner if i can if i recall it was not far from widmerpool regards martin
givemethebighammer

posted on 22/3/05 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
This site seems useful in locating airfields (used and disused)

http://ukga.com/aerodrome/nearby.cfm?waypoint=6302

paulf

posted on 22/3/05 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I used Desborough airfield.
It is used as a farm and grainstorage area.I asked the guy on the weighbridge and he said it was no problem to use it as long as i wasnt in anyones way.
There isnt much good suface left though, there is a long straight on which I was able to get up to about 70 and a perimeter track of about a mile circumference but full of large potholes and loose gravel, bricks etc to dodge.
Apparently some of the local motor clubs use it for rallying but not really any good for a seven, but was ok for a literal shake down run and suspension test.
I believe the airfield is owned by Rockingham castle farms or Rockingham castle estates, a search may find a contact number.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
u2u paulf

he used a disused airfield in desborough northants.

check his past posts out and you might find his details about the test run

atb

steve

here ya go
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=13696

[Edited on 21/3/05 by stephen_gusterson]

zilspeed

posted on 22/3/05 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
You may find this site useful - a list of all uk airfields, regardless of operational status.

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/06airfields/UK/ukmenu.htm

scutter

posted on 22/3/05 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, the place your after is Barkston heath, it's run by the RAFMSA.

Fin, with respect to the gliding clubs go and ask them wehn they don't fly and see what other purposes the airfields are put to, normally they don't mind as long as you don't take to many cars and people down to the site.

ATB Dan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.