Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tilting bucket seats?
RazMan

posted on 10/4/05 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Tilting bucket seats?

I need to fit some low profile bucket seats and the 'fixed back' variety are the only ones that give me the low seating position I need. The trouble is that I will need to get to a storage area between the rear of the seat and the engine bulkhead (middy project)
My question is - Is there a mounting frame available that will allow the seats to tilt forward but still remain secure enough in the normal position? Alternatively, has anyone done this another way?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 11/4/05 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Somthing along the lines of the way "Real" Mini seats are mounted maybe?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RogerM

posted on 11/4/05 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
AX bits again, love destroying french cars!!

That would work a treat ...

The best solution for you would be to make something up as anything you buy will probably be too high for you.

I would do something like the following description......

1)Use 1"x1/2" steel box section to bolt to the seat mounting points. They will need to extend about 1" in front and about 2" behind the seats. Obviously in such a way as to end up only adding 1/2" to the seat height....

2) using something like 8mm diameter solid bar drill through the sides of the box sections and slide the bar across between them. Leave a bit sticking out either side so that you can weld the bar to the box sections later.

3) measure the distance between the two fabricated seat rails and take of the thickness of 2 washers with the same id as bar you have useds od. Cut a length of tube which is a snugg fit over the bar to about 0.5mm less than this measurement.
This tube will be the outside of the front hings and you will have to decide how best to mount it to the chassis.

4) Now working at the back of the seat make up a cross piece to fit between the two box sections, use the same material so it all looks neat.

5) Get a pair of bonnet catches from a Citreon AX (if you can't find AX's then most of the range use the same catch but with an extra spring .. which can be sut out if required to make it the same as the AX one. Mount one of these to each seats cross rail.

6) The pins used with the AX catches are the same size as the droor striker loops on a Pug 205 (probably any pug but that it the one I know fits!!!) and these have 2 holes in them to allow them to be bolted down. Once the seat is in place snap the AX catch over the Pug striker loop and let it find it's natural position on the chassis floor. Mark the holes and mount the strikers to the floor.

7) Full weld everything up and your done.

I have used this method before on all sorts of things, works a treat and is plenty stroge enough!!

[Edited on 11/4/05 by RogerM]

RazMan

posted on 11/4/05 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Somthing along the lines of the way "Real" Mini seats are mounted maybe?

Exactly what I thought about when I was trying to visualise it!

RogerM - Bloomin' heck mate ..... that's given me something to think about. Thanks very much - I couldn't ask for any more than that!

[Edited on 11-4-05 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Donners90

posted on 11/4/05 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Nova SRi

Found these in a Nova SRi, and they are recliner / bucket type, and surprisingly confortable. Remember they are in a Viento so may not necesarily fit your chassis. Got some seat covers for them now, and they look great! Can take measurements if you want.

hth
James Rescued attachment DSC02054.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC02054.JPG

RazMan

posted on 11/4/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offer but I have already bagged a pair of Cobra Imolas complete with 4 point harnesses and side mounts on Ebay - which is why I need to tilt them

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.