Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nissan front uprights
Nisseven

posted on 22/4/05 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Nissan front uprights

I would like to post a photo of the upright but can't seem to get it to work. Whats the trick.
phelpsa

posted on 22/4/05 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Upload it to your photo archive, then copy and paste the writing underneath the photo into your post.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clbarclay

posted on 22/4/05 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure the picture is saved as a jpg.

I seem to have no trouble with posting pics on hear straight from my hard disk, so no need for putting them in photo arcive first.

JonBowden

posted on 22/4/05 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
You need to click the "Browse" button at the bottom of the page. This will pop up a file open box (just like opening a file in Word) allowing you to select an image file from your hard disc.
The button on the toolbar with an icon indication a picture is for picking a picture from the web - do not use this

Jon

Nisseven

posted on 25/4/05 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Year thats exactly what I did but I just get the page unavailable screen.

Bruce.

James

posted on 25/4/05 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe you could shrink the picture a little- so it doesn't fill my entire 1600*1200 screen!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Nisseven

posted on 26/4/05 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
I think that is the trouble. You have obviously found where managed to post it to the photo archive, where I found that although I had reduced the quality and size of the file the actual size of the picture was still large. I have now worked out how to reduce the size and wiil post it following.

Bruce

Nisseven

posted on 26/4/05 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
hopefully this works. Rescued attachment Suspension upright.jpg
Rescued attachment Suspension upright.jpg

Nisseven

posted on 26/4/05 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thank C****t that worked.

As you can see this picture is from the side minus the wheel for clarity. The brazing rod is on the centre line which means that I need a bracket that will pick up the two bolt holes and provide a taper for the ball joint. The line is probably only 25mm from the rim, which is possibly closer than the photo sugests.
The bolts are 14mm if you need a scale.
I need to draw an acurate diagram and also get hold of a ball joint to get the size as I was thinking spacing the wheel out slightly would not only give me slightly more room but also change the point of contact on the road.
It all comes back to how much scrub radius is ideal and what tolerance can you put up with.
Thanks guys for your patience with me while I frigged around with the photo.

Bruce

andkilde

posted on 26/4/05 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
How about using a vertically oriented "rose" joint for the top balljoint and capturing it between two plates bolted through the strut mount holes?

Or, a horizontally oriented one bolted to a U-shaped bracket.

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 26/4/05 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I did with an MR2 upright...

locost_bryan

posted on 26/4/05 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

What is your upper ball joint from?

If I understand the photo, you have fabricated a right-angle bracket that bolts vertically to the top of the upright (through the holes that the strut originally bolted to), and the balljoint bolts through the top of the bracket. There is a tapered hole in the top wishbone for the balljoint swivel.

This sounds like a good solution for any upright with a bolt-on strut , but I've wondered how to choose the right balljoint. What criteria/resources did you use to select it?

Thanks,
Bryan.

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

Nisseven

posted on 27/4/05 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for the responce.
Ted, a rose joint in any orientation is out of the question as far as my engineer is concerned. this was my first thought as I'd seen it done before and would have worked.

Nisseven

posted on 27/4/05 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
Alan, the upside down solution looks OK I guess you would have to watch that you still have clearance in droop. You do lose the adjustability of the threaded joints though.
Thanks for the sugestion

andkilde

posted on 27/4/05 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nisseven
Alan, the upside down solution looks OK I guess you would have to watch that you still have clearance in droop. You do lose the adjustability of the threaded joints though.
Thanks for the sugestion

You could gain back the adjustability (using Alan's method) by using camber bolts.

Cheers, Ted

[Edited on 27/4/05 by andkilde]

Rorty

posted on 27/4/05 at 03:32 AM Reply With Quote
If you used the same method as Alan has above, but use a BJ with a spigot (see below) as opposed to a tapered stud, you wouldn't need to worry about machining or reaming a taper socket in the wishbone.[pg=]

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Alan B

posted on 27/4/05 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locost_bryan
Alan,

What is your upper ball joint from?

If I understand the photo, you have fabricated a right-angle bracket that bolts vertically to the top of the upright (through the holes that the strut originally bolted to), and the balljoint bolts through the top of the bracket. There is a tapered hole in the top wishbone for the balljoint swivel.

This sounds like a good solution for any upright with a bolt-on strut , but I've wondered how to choose the right balljoint. What criteria/resources did you use to select it?

Thanks,
Bryan.

Link

Alan B

posted on 27/4/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andkilde
quote:
Thanks for the sugestion

You could gain back the adjustability (using Alan's method) by using camber bolts.

Cheers, Ted

[Edited on 27/4/05 by andkilde]

Ted, my set up has eccentric bushes (as per standard) so effectively is like you suggest.

andkilde

posted on 27/4/05 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Quick question, I understand the Kiwis and Aussies have to meet rigorous engineering inspections in order to get their cars registered but, is there something inheritly unsafe about using properly configured rose joints?

Or is it simply that the extra inspection and maintenance they require a deal killer?

Cheers, Ted

Rorty

posted on 27/4/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andkilde
Quick question, I understand the Kiwis and Aussies have to meet rigorous engineering inspections in order to get their cars registered but, is there something inheritly unsafe about using properly configured rose joints?

Or is it simply that the extra inspection and maintenance they require a deal killer?

Cheers, Ted

The problem with using Rose joints on an Aussie road-going car is providing proof of suitability.
As you know, there are rod ends and then there are rod ends. Untill rod end manufacturers indellibly mark their products with part numbers or specs, they won't pass the strict ADR (Australian Design Rules) test procedure.

Cheers, Rorty.

Nisseven

posted on 28/4/05 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure why my engineer will not allow a rose joint as a top outer all I know is he said no! I would rather use a ball joint anyway so didn't really argue.
Rorty, what is the ball joint from that you illustrated?

Bruce

Rorty

posted on 28/4/05 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Rorty, what is the ball joint from that you illustrated?
Bruce

It's the front lower BJ from a VW Golf I. The front lower BJ from a VW Type 2 (Transporter, Camper etc.) is very similar but is obviously stouter and the spigot is quite long. I use a lot of VAG stuff because it's available in just about every country in the world.
Other makes use these spigot type BJs too, so you should be able to find something to suit your needs.
Some upper bolt-on spigot type BJs to look out for are: Alfa Romeo, Citroen Xsara & ZX, Daewoo Leganza, Ford Mondeo, Lancia Delta, Mercedes Vito van, Opel Astra / Zafira, Omega & Vectra, Peugeot 306, Porsche 911, 924 & 944, Saab 9000, Seat Cordoba / Ibiza / Toledo, Skoda Favorit / Forman & Felicia, VW Golf / Jetta / Sirocco & Passat.

Cheers, Rorty.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.