Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: nuke $hite
theconrodkid

posted on 17/5/05 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
nuke $hite

anyone here in the nuclear game?
i have a job next week at an old nuke power station,doing investigation for "contaminated soil"
i,tl mean drilling about 5 meters into the ground and taking soil samples,i,m not too keen on the idea,just want to know how safe it is (or not) dont really want to glow in the dark

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

big_wasa

posted on 17/5/05 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
You too can look like hommer
tri

posted on 17/5/05 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
from what i studied in physics this year i would say you should be ok but i could be wrong hope i am right but so i have learned something
wilkingj

posted on 17/5/05 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hope you dont dig or pull up anything nasty.

If its an old site, then they were probably not as stringent in what was done where as they are today.

Just Take great care, and follow the rules.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 17/5/05 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
ditto about old site practises. I know where there is about 5 tons of asbestos buried underground locally! I'm sure nuclear is much more regulated though

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Mark Allanson

I worked at hinkley point as a welder in 1991, had a nice little badge to wear - when it turned red, they sent me home
I love speed :-P

from what i have been told at collage, (which is probly lies but still) they say there is more radiation coming of stuff like granit and the like, rather than off a nuclar power station

[Edited on 17/5/2005 by I love speed :-P]

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 17/5/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt worry about it. Just follow all the saftey precautions they outline for you. You would probably be exposed to more radiation going for an X-ray. Especially if you are only going for a couple of days work.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Lawnmower

posted on 17/5/05 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I did a job once in Birmingham at an old ammunition works. Every trial pit I did had to be CAT scanned and mettled detected and gamma metered first.

Then every sample got gamma metered and PID.

Never found anything on the Gamma meter though.

Could alays get the driller to handle the samples

You window(less) sampling?
Could always lay the liner out on the ground and scan that with a gamma meter...

btw also worked in a decommisiun power station near newark. still had substaions there. Tightest security I have ever seen. full on electric fences with traffic light type warnings (ie jurrasic park). pisses on Bicester army baracks where I walked straight on without ID!

Lawnmower

posted on 17/5/05 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
On further thought...

This should surely have had a risk assessment done, at the very least, or maybe a full on desk study/phase I report, so has it been made available?

I guess this would be classed as most definately a red site under BDA rules so you should start off with the full shebang: decontamination units, full ppe, etc etc etc.

Guess speial rules may apply for nuclear stuff.

Which country are you in?
the area you will be drilling in actually been in use as the powere station, or for sheep grazing?

Whats the expected geology?

If in doubt,

DONT DO IT!!!

mcig68

posted on 17/5/05 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
nukes

You have very little to worry about. I doubt that any other industry is so regulated as the nuclear industry. You should be working under supervision if there is any doubt about the levels of contamination that may be present. The area will probably be surveyed before, during and after work. You will be checked, as will any tools and samples you dig up and everything will be checked and checked again.
Occupationally exposed workers get more radiation from medical x-rays than they get at work and airline flight crews get more than that (don't let me put you off flying).
I've been in the industry for over twenty five years and I still don't glow, although six pints gives me a nice feeling!

The Shootist

posted on 18/5/05 at 04:30 AM Reply With Quote
Dosages...

I have read the US Nuke agencies findings for Three Mile Island Nuclear Plant, probly the second most famous nuke plant event in history.

The radiation recieved by workers IN the containment area was roughly that of 2 dental x-rays. At the perimeter fence which surrounds the property the dosage was roughly the same as crossing the street on a sunny day.

In other words don't sweat it.

theconrodkid

posted on 18/5/05 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
cheers for your replies chaps,lawnmower,the samples are in clear plastic tubes when brought up and its in sunny oxfordshire,its going to be an industrial estate,makes a change from houses i spose

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Browser

posted on 18/5/05 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcig68
You have very little to worry about. I doubt that any other industry is so regulated as the nuclear industry. You should be working under supervision if there is any doubt about the levels of contamination that may be present. The area will probably be surveyed before, during and after work. You will be checked, as will any tools and samples you dig up and everything will be checked and checked again.
Occupationally exposed workers get more radiation from medical x-rays than they get at work and airline flight crews get more than that (don't let me put you off flying).
I've been in the industry for over twenty five years and I still don't glow, although six pints gives me a nice feeling!

Are you at a power station or that place on the Cumbrian coast whose name changed a while back?
Slightly amusing tale, chappy who works at our power station used to work at Hartlepool nuke, and they had some Russian visitors ove, who set the radiation detectors off going into the site, rather than out

mcig68

posted on 19/5/05 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Browser,
It's a power station - Hunterston, in south west Scotland where the rain stopped today for a short break before returning with a vengeance.

Lawnmower

posted on 19/5/05 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Radioactive pigeons

Pigeons at Sellafield are so radioactive they are officially classed as low-level nuclear waste. MAFF has advised locals not to handle, kill or eat any pigeons within a ten-mile radius of the site. Greenpeace had Sellafield pigeons analysed by an independent French radiation laboratory which found their feathers were contaminated with caesium-137. BNF says the pigeons are becoming contaminated as they roost in the roof space of older buildings on the site.

(Environmental Health News; 13 (11); 20 March 1998)

theconrodkid

posted on 19/5/05 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
mmmmm ready microwaved pidgeons

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Peteff

posted on 19/5/05 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Beats self basting turkeys hands down .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Browser

posted on 20/5/05 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcig68
Hi Browser,
It's a power station - Hunterston, in south west Scotland where the rain stopped today for a short break before returning with a vengeance.

So are you decomissioning the old A station or running the AGRs into the ground?
Am I right in thinking that, due to a desing cock-up, you can't actually refuel an AGR on-line, which was supposed to be part of the point of them (as well as far greater output than a MAGNOX)?
Do you guys have the same fun running to your submitted profile as we do under the NETA rules or are yours different?

MikeRJ

posted on 20/5/05 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lawnmower
I did a job once in Birmingham at an old ammunition works. Every trial pit I did had to be CAT scanned and mettled detected and gamma metered first.

Did you check it had batteries in it?

Lawnmower

posted on 27/5/05 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Lawnmower

Did you check it had batteries in it?

Yup samples tested showed no higher levels of radiation than the background radiation of Birmingham........

Conrodkid...grown a second head yet?

theconrodkid

posted on 27/5/05 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
been put back a few weeks,its amazing what you find deep underground isnt it? like a main sewer at 3m

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Spriggsy

posted on 1/6/05 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit late into thread but an answer to a question browser put earlier, AGRs can be refuelled on load but not full load as was originally planned.

Cheers, John.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.