Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Transit track rod ends
ChrisW

posted on 21/3/02 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Transit track rod ends

Does anyone know if there is more than one type of Transit track rod end (ie top ball joint for Locost)?

Reason I ask - I've just bought a pair of threaded tubes from LoLocost but they don't fit the track rod ends I have. Have I bought the wrong track rod ends or have LoLo sent me the wrong tubes?

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 21/3/02 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Chris
Sorry mate,i,ve only recently been told its an inacurate part of the book.
I did wonder why my MK top wishbones had a smaller thread,thought it was just an MK thing.
People have been able to get threaded tube for the larger tranny track rod end,but if you have trouble i'll buy them back off you.
I need a nice paper weight!!!
The ball joint lolocost sell to fit is a transit drag link end,at £8 a pair they are as cheap as chips

ChrisW

posted on 21/3/02 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Bob - no problem about the track rod ends. For a fiver I can't complain!

What do I need to ask for then? A pair of drag link ends?? What exactly are they?

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 21/3/02 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think you will find a better price than the lolocost ones at £8.

Its called a drag link end,it is from a transit so if you pop into your local motorfactors with the threaded tube you can check it out.

ChrisW

posted on 22/3/02 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Problem with Lolo is they want £20 minimum before they'll do mail order unless you send a cheque, which is ridiculous for any company, especially one that has their catalogue and pricelist online. Who uses cheques anymore? I don't even have a cheque book!

Anyway, I'll go down my local motor factors - I'm sure they'll be able to help me out.

Chris

James

posted on 25/3/02 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Other than the thread diameter, is there actually any difference between drag link ends and track rod ends?

Is one stronger or set up to be used at an angle (as the MK ones appear to be) or anything?

James

nik

posted on 25/3/02 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bob, can you describe in a little more detail what is wrong in the book? I haven't started building yet so I didn't get it. Is it the thread in the wishbones that should be smaller or have I misunderstood you?

Best regards,

Dunc

posted on 25/3/02 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a couple of the track rod ends specified in the book, TA298, ( I think it was from a '68 Transit, how much would £250 get you then?) It has an M18 fine thread (1.25 pitch from memory) The MK ones are probably at an angle because of the angle of the upper wishbone as the movement of the ball jopint is only about 18° either way from the normal.
bigdaddyadd

posted on 25/3/02 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have a tap for m18 fine which is 1.5 pitch I hope this is correct and that a finer thread is not used threads are not a strong point with me and that tap was bloody expensive. All my old tap and die charts list nothing for m18 fine it is not a widely used size it took ages to find a tap.
chrisg

posted on 25/3/02 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
M18 x 1.5 fine is the right one

Cheers

Chris

bob

posted on 25/3/02 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Still looking for the site that said it was wrong,its on the locost car club links somewhere.

David Jenkins

posted on 26/3/02 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
...All my old tap and die charts list nothing for m18 fine it is not a widely used size it took ages to find a tap.

For future reference, Tracy Tools in Dartmouth will sell you a carbon steel tap for just a few Pounds. There's no point in paying the extra for high-speed steel for just 2 holes (although they sell those as well - the HSS taps that is, not the holes ).

This is a good company, much used by the model engineer fraternity - if anyone's interested, I'll post an address and phone number tomorrow.

David

bob

posted on 26/3/02 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Dave
Is this the same tracy tools that were based in Isleworth,west London.

David Jenkins

posted on 26/3/02 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Unsure - I've only known them at the Dartmouth address.

m_rayfield

posted on 29/3/02 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
On the lolocost site there's a picture of what they're selling as a top ball joint. Is this the drag link thingummy of which you speak?
See, I've been flogged two items as track rod ends, but they look identical to the picture on the lolocost site. I don't want to fork out for a spare set if I already have the right ones! And no I haven't measured the thread size on mine...

Hope someone can tell me to shut up and worry about something more important....

bigdaddyadd

posted on 2/4/02 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Chris I have 7 pairs of threaded parts as book describes with m18 fine threads as you know I promised you some bits so if you want some let me know I'll send them anyone else interested they are £10 per pair plus post.
http://locostbuild.tripod.com

8smokingbarrels

posted on 27/12/03 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thought id resurrect this thread as it raises some good points
Basically what im wondering is should i get a drag link end or a track rod end from a transit (and what difference is there?)

Also in the book it mentions tapping threads into a piece of pipe for the track rod end to screw into- whats wrong with loppiing off the end of an original track rod- are they not strong enough to be used as part of the upper wishbone?

cheers chris

kingr

posted on 28/12/03 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Problem with Lolo is they want £20 minimum before they'll do mail order unless you send a cheque, which is ridiculous for any company, especially one that has their catalogue and pricelist online. Who uses cheques anymore? I don't even have a cheque book!

Anyway, I'll go down my local motor factors - I'm sure they'll be able to help me out.

Chris

<rant>

Chris, unless they've changed recently, MK don't accept cards at all, I was in disbelief. There's no way that I'm going to go to the trouble of mailing them a cheque just because they don't want to move into the modern age. Maybe I'm petty, but lolo got my order for my upright mushrooms, and I'm severely discouraged from ordering anything from them in future. I'm not expecting them to have a full on e-commerce site with order tracking and one click ordering, but a company that sells primarily to the public should accept card surely?

</rant>

8smoking: You need transit drag link ends - the have M18 rather than M20 threads. I don't know whether there's any engineering reason that you could use a chopped up track rod/drag link, but I suspect they'd be a shedload harder to get holds of and probably more expensive, they probably won't look as tidy either.

Kingr

James

posted on 28/12/03 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
Kingr,
as you probably know there is a (I was told by a shop owner recently 3.5%) charge to the shop for having a credit card machine.

AFAIK in the kit car business the margins are pretty low and I'd have thought a £50 price hike on the cost of a £1500 kit could make quite a difference to sales couldn't it? Maybe not!

Cheers,

James

Peteff

posted on 28/12/03 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Drag link or track rod?

The drag link was used on the mk1 and mk2 transit before the range was updated to rack and pinion steering. They used a steering box and the uprights had kingpins and were joined together by the drag link. As the box turned one wheel the link dragged the other one with it. You do not want a pair of drag link ends as the nearside(UK) will be a left hand thread. What you want is two from the same side with right hand thread. I think Dozracing sells the parts and accepts cards if you must order them. A lot pf part sales don't list them any more and will have to order them in for you with a long wait.

yours, Pete.

[Edited on 28/12/03 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kingr

posted on 28/12/03 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
James, it was my understanding that most business accounts are charged for cheques too (probably less, and I could be wrong). I was told 2% for most credit cards and a whopping 5% for AmEx (well my 1% cash back has got to come from somewhere ) I wouldn't expect them to accept AmEx but there are millions of other small retailers who accept credit cards. Just because it costs money doesn't mean they shouldn't do it - going to shows costs money, advertising costs money but they're both necessary, I'd say that accepting cards is necessary, but that's just my personal opinion. Hell, GTS Cougar accepts cards and I can't imagine Darren's margins are enormously different from MK's. Maybe I just put a higher price on convenience than other people.

Kingr

dozracing

posted on 28/12/03 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
For those of you that are interested i'm having a load of threaded tubes made up and at the same time introducing my camber adjustment mechanism. All to suit the transit drag link end.

If anyone is interested then email me off list at darren@gtstuning.co.uk

Kind regards,
Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

theconrodkid

posted on 28/12/03 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
the prob i found out with credit cards was apart from the commision any complaints or non delivery allegations and their money was refunded,you didnt get a say in the matter,as for cheques there is a charge along with the standing charges but it is a lot less than for plastic

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Rorty

posted on 29/12/03 at 01:54 AM Reply With Quote
dozracing:
quote:

For those of you that are interested i'm having a load of threaded tubes made up and at the same time introducing my camber adjustment mechanism. All to suit the transit drag link end. If anyone is interested then email me off list at darren@gtstuning.co.uk

Alternatively, if anyone wants to turn their own in true Locost fashion, here's a drawing of one. Rescued attachment camber_adjuster01.gif
Rescued attachment camber_adjuster01.gif

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Rorty

posted on 29/12/03 at 02:25 AM Reply With Quote
This pic will explain the orientation of the adjuster. Rescued attachment Hammerhead06.gif
Rescued attachment Hammerhead06.gif

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.