Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Sharing tools
ethomas

posted on 19/5/05 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sharing tools

It has occurred to me that there are a lot of expensive and esoteric tools that can make car building far easier but which are pretty expensive and only need to be used once in a blue moon.

Can I suggest some sort of scheme where members local to each other can share these rarities in return for some sort of non financial reward (ie beer, a ride in a cool car, loans of other tools etc).

What do you all think?

Cheers,

Ed

Staple balls

posted on 19/5/05 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
garage rule #1

NEVER lend anyone tools EVER.

they rarely come back

ned

posted on 19/5/05 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm afriad I disagree Staple Balls, though I will conceed that its worth making a note of what goes where (if you ever are prepared to lend stuff out) and also gives deadlines by which it should be returned, in my experience its the open ended arrangements that tend to get forgotten about and then one or other party feels embarrased about either returning or asking for the return of said tool.

I thought a lot of people on here tend to know who is local to them, or they should do if they attend local meets! They tend to be the forum used for such questions/borrowings down our way..!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carlgeldard

posted on 19/5/05 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a good Idea. The avoneer,antonyg and I have all got shares in things like
Engine stand.
valve spring compresser.
C spanner.

It works for us.

Carl

Just be careful what they do with your tool when your not looking

smart51

posted on 19/5/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I think that it might be worth while. I am looking for ways to lift my engine into my car without buying an engine hoist. I have a 41mm socket and bar for sierra hub nuts. It seems a waste to only use it once. a mutual swap for a limited period would be a good idea.
MikeR

posted on 19/5/05 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
This is what I do with my friends (who just happen to be builders). Tonight I've traded my rivnut tool for a bit of arc welding. For about 6 months i lent another builder my engine crane. In the next couple of weeks i'll probably be lending out the gas analyser. The carb balancer has been around the houses a few times.

In return i get lots of people reminding me how slowly my car is being built!

Brooky

posted on 19/5/05 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Mike, it could be worse !
you could get people who havent loaned anything off you reminding you how long it has taken.........

How long is it now ?

wilkingj

posted on 19/5/05 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
If you Load tools.... Have a workshop LOAN book, and write it down, or have a wallboard.
Yes, people borrow and forget to take them back.
No problem in lending, but getting them back can be a pain.

Also the list saves you hours of turning the workshop upside down looking for a tool you forgot you lent to someone!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 20/5/05 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brooky
Mike, it could be worse !
you could get people who havent loaned anything off you reminding you how long it has taken.........

How long is it now ?

your loan time will come ....... then i'll be waiting mwaaahhhahhhahhhahhh [thats supposed to be an evil laugh]

NS Dev

posted on 20/5/05 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
shame the arc welding didn't help much either.........DOH
rusty nuts

posted on 20/5/05 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Should have used Geoffs idea about a tool loan book, used to have 2 really nice oil pressure test kits I lent them both to someone because some of the adaptors were different . Now I can't remember who I lent them to and haven't seen them for about 18 months. Had to borrow one myself
johnston

posted on 20/5/05 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
i dont have a problem lendin tools to most people somethings take a while comin back but if i need somethin back urgent most people go out of their way to bring it back except 1 type

FAMILY!!!!!!!!! i lent brand new long handled wire cutters to my brother for a day 2 yrs ago never seen since tinsnips hardly used went same way and god knows wot else

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.