Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: sticking throttle advice please
evo3500

posted on 24/5/05 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
sticking throttle advice please

Can anybody help,took my mk gt1 for mot today,all went well it passed thats the good bit,but sva next week.problem i have is thottle is very juddery when pedal pressed and heavey but is difficult to drive as cant operate throttle smoothly and its not returning fully holds revs between gear changes.
Cable was custom made,its routed as follows from carbs engine at back slight bend across rear bulkhead another not so tight bend into side pod down side pod and into foot well tthen joined to floor mounted pedal,mounts on pedal about third of way up pedal,when pedal pushed forward pulls cable,does anyone know why it isnt operating ok anyone had a similar problem,also i have p clipped it every 6 inchs or so to make sure the outer cable stays ok,any help or advice would be appreciated.
Also forgot to mention there is no extra return springs only the springs on the carb pulling the cable back,but the pedal is heavey to push down already.Only other observation i have made is i think the cable is like a bycycle cable plastic outer wound round spiral steel outer,im not sure but suspect it is steel lined with steel cable could this be the problem as i thought for low friction it should have a nylon lining inner.
Thanks Simon

adam_moore

posted on 25/5/05 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem with my throttle cable even when it was acting long a straight line. I was using Vehicle wiring products cable. I then changed to proper bike brake cable the problem was solved.

I used cable from decathlon which had a nylon coating on the inside of the outer casinga nda teflon coating on the cable....perfect smooth action at any bend radius.

Cheers, Adam

Mike S

posted on 25/5/05 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Simon

I have one of the looong cables from Car Builder Solutions on my car.

The problem with the GT-1 is that the cable is very long compared to a front engined car.

Particularly on my car as I have changed my throttle pedal to be a pendulum type rather than the floor mounted one (personal preference), so mine goes all the way to the front of the car, then back to the top of the pedal.

This makes for a very very long cable. The pedal is a little heavy, but the throttle snaps shut with a distinct click when you take your foot off the pedal.

I think your best bet is invest in a quality low friction cable and you should be ok.

Did you enjoy your drive to the MOT, how far did you get to drive it?

Cheers

Mike

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

evo3500

posted on 25/5/05 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
The drive was short but sweet but everthing worked as it should needs shakedown and some setup time and i think the car will go like a rocket in a straight line and around corners.
Thanks for the replys think i will get new cable from car builder solutions.

evo3500

posted on 25/5/05 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Adam do you have a number for decatholon,ill try them as well for a cable.

Thansk Simon.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.