Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: indy handling
sonic

posted on 8/6/05 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
indy handling

Hi all

I was was having a debate with a guy today who said he wouldnt touch a MK with a barge pole as they don't handle very well and that the geometry is all wrong at the front,especially the steering rack area.
I told him mine handles very well and that having owned an evo seven,sti scooby and various other types of performance cars that i was pretty well qualified to make the statement

He is a well respected grass track racer and in fairness he does no how to drive!

I would like to know other peoples comments on the MK handling and inparticular how well suited to track days they are

Cheers

carnut

posted on 8/6/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Im happy with my indys handling.

You dont happen to live in the Howden / Gilberdyke area do you?

subk2002

posted on 8/6/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Check my video clip at the bottom

Handles well to me

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=27282

[Edited on 8/6/05 by subk2002]

phelpsa

posted on 8/6/05 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair the steerring rack isn't perfect, and some geometry is comprimised for the classic seven look but they can't be considered bad handling cars.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sonic

posted on 8/6/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Carnut

your right
how did you know

OX

posted on 8/6/05 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
im no racing driver and havnt driven any other make of kitcar but the mk is the best thing iv ever driven .my kit has the same standard parts as most other mk's iv just uprated the front brakes.
i was at oulton park today and gave an r500 run a for his money for a few laps but he got away in the end but pritty much whooped everything else and got my times down to 1.55 by the end of the day after a little tuition from bourne

colibriman

posted on 8/6/05 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm doing sprints with mine..and I'm not happy with mine just now.....It's (me and the car) work in progress though..I'm competetive with some people and a bit behind others..There's definitely better handling to be had from it..

It sits too high at the front just now,
It currently understeers waaay too much in slow corners....I'm probably not driving it properly either.

It'll get better

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 8/6/05 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Colin

Maybe you could use a temperature guage on the tyres after each run. Data is where it's at and finding out stuff like that could only help. Would possibly point you in the correct direction regarding springs, camber etc.

mookaloid

posted on 8/6/05 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm hill climbing mine and I am not competitive yet.
I am up against some very quick Westfields (and very quick drivers) so I am not expecting to be winning any prizes!

I think I have ample power, but lose a lot in the corners. I am not sure why, but I accept that I am probably in need of some training. (course booked)

however, looking at some pictures, I seem to get a lot of body roll and this is causing some noticable (unfavourable) geometry changes at the rear. I am working on dialling this out.

I am also thinking about anti roll bars or uprated springs.

I would like to lower the front a bit too but I am worried about my sump......

Also I am thinking that tyre pressures are quite important - what pressures do everyone use?

I have 15 inch wheels and 195/50 tyres.

Cheers

Mark

sonic

posted on 8/6/05 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mookaloyd

Did you hill climb yours at harewood last weekend?

ned

posted on 8/6/05 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
for the road i think the indy is fine, for he track i suspect a car would benefit hugely from a proper set up session, corner weights, camber, ride height, tracking, tyre pressures, tyre choice, driver ability can all add up to make a huge difference.

I have heard rumour that the front suspension pickup points are slightly unsymetrical on the indy chassis, but this was from a rival manufacturer and I have no backup to support this, so take it as you like

As said the sierra upright has it's limiting factors, the cortina upright is 'supposed' to give better geometry, but I think the shortened sierra rack will give better bump steer (or rather lack of )

In any case it's all swings and roundabouts and I think no two cars would ever perform the same as they are all so unique unless fully setup and then they still may have different characteristics.

A perfectionist would probably opt for rose joints all round, but unnecessary for the road, only really justified for race use imho.

Ned.

[Edited on 8/6/05 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

mookaloid

posted on 8/6/05 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi sonic

yup

my best time was 71.63

Class winner was 62.28!!!!(new class record)

I wasn't quite last though

Were you there?

Cheers

mark

[Edited on 8/6/05 by mookaloid]

colibriman

posted on 8/6/05 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'll try taking tyre temps John...

Ride height's the first thing to sort out..

Like you Mook, I'm thinking anti-roll bar(s) could be next...

tyre pressure.....I'm using yokohama 048r's now... tried from 14 - 22 psi...settled on 17 front and 16 rear... for the moment.

As I said I'm doing sprints...so the tyres are more or less cold...but I definitely notice more front grip by the second or third lap

Andy thoirs has changed his front springs...Drew, did he comment on the difference?

I'm currently competitive with similar engined cars...and that's un-setup...

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
subk2002

posted on 8/6/05 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
He was trying to make up an anti roll bar setup aswell colin.he didnt mention the springs,his accellerator cable snapped up the straight

sonic

posted on 8/6/05 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mookaloid

No i wasnt there,its the only meeting i have missed this year!
I saw a MK listed on the entries and wanted to come and support but i was in London for the weekend

Are you having a go at the next meeting?
if so i will come along and introduce myself

I must say that i fancy having ago at Harewood myself sometime,i have been stood watching for long enough

colibriman

posted on 8/6/05 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

In any case it's all swings and roundabouts and I think no two cars would ever perform the same as they are all so unique unless fully setup and then they still may have different characteristics.

and different tracks/ road surfaces also make for different effects - my car felt more understeery at Golspie sprint than it did at Kames sprint....these are bboth fairly small tracks...go to Knockhill or Anglesey etc and I bet it would feel better with the tyres being warmer...

mookaloid

posted on 8/6/05 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Sonic,

I have sent my entry in for July but I have to wait and see if I get in.

But always good to meet fellow MK drivers

Re Tyre pressures I have been trying 19 all round but from the pictures, the outside rear seems to go very flat at the bottom on heavy cornering!

I think I will try another couple of pounds at the next meet.

I think It would probably be a good idea to try a track day for improving the setup. On a hill climb or sprint you only have 4 or 5 runs totaling not much more in minutes, so it's hard to judge what is going on!

Cheers

Mark

mookaloid

posted on 8/6/05 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Re Anti roll bars: Snoopy & co have developed a front one for the indy but I am not convinced that it will fit the pinto engined cars as the engine goes too far forward

no such problems with the bike engined ones though.

I would like to try front and rear ones if I can get some

Have you any ideas on this col?

Mark

sonic

posted on 8/6/05 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
What is the typical shocker setting are people using

Mine has the standard Gaz shockers and wondered how many clicks people are running front and back

My tyre presures are around 22 psi front
and 24 psi rear and it seams great for road use
ive tried every thing from 14 psi up on 195x50x15 tyres

mookaloid

posted on 8/6/05 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have the protech shocks

1 click off max for the hill climbs and 3 clicks off for the road.

Sonic, what engine do you have?

Mark

richardR1

posted on 8/6/05 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sonic - Lived in Howden all my life up until last November - anyone I might know ??? Where are you located ?
Northy

posted on 9/6/05 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I'm thinking about fitting a rear anti roll bar to my Avon after seeing the body roll Pat (Avoneer) got on his track day last year, but would I realy need a front one too?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

garage19

posted on 9/6/05 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
This is a great thread.

Once mines running i will be keeping a log of all my set up changes.

Luckily for me my mates garage has just ordered an all singing set up jig with corner weights!!

mookaloid

posted on 9/6/05 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Lucky You
garage19

posted on 9/6/05 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yup.

But i think he was only talking about £70 + VAT for a full geometry set up for a kit car.

Thats only the cost of two dyno runs and just as worth while IMO.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.