Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MT75 vs Type 9 Gearbox
andylancaster3000

posted on 11/6/05 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
MT75 vs Type 9 Gearbox

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using either the MT75 or Type 9. There seem to be a lot of both around at a reasonable price but can't decide between them.
I'm sure there are a some threads on this subject somewhere but I can't find any!

Thanks, Andy.

JohnN

posted on 11/6/05 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
MT75 stronger & lighter, but with fixed bellhousing, considered more bulky than type 9
Mr G

posted on 11/6/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Depends how many horses you want to put through them and what your bolting it to.

MT75 will take more agro but has poorer ratios than the type 9. The MT75 case is totally alloy but always seemed larger to me. As mentioned your limited to bolting it to only ford engines up to and including the zetec. There is a company that have made a front housing that allows diferent bellhousings to be attached but then your getting into spending a fair bit of money.

Type 9 has more aftermarket goodies (Full range of gear kits/lever extensions/quickshifts/alloy cases) Was expected to take 160bhp from the 2.8i. V6 ratios are very good.

HTH

Cheers

G

phelpsa

posted on 11/6/05 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
The type 9 has a number of different upgrades available, including 6-speed conversion I think!

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andylancaster3000

posted on 11/6/05 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 it is then! The MT75 does seem a little bulky.

Does anyone have one going spare in this area?!

Cheers, Andy

phelpsa

posted on 11/6/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
If I see one around I'll tell you. Where abouts in Hants are you?

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andylancaster3000

posted on 11/6/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Adam: Cheers, I'm in fleet(NE hants, nr Aldershot) Not too far from where you are. What town are you in?

Andy

[Edited on 11/6/05 by andylancaster3000]

phelpsa

posted on 11/6/05 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'm near Newbury.

Adam

tomm

posted on 12/6/05 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 Everytime, It has all the advantages and none of the disadvantages of MT75, oh and with an RS2000 ally belhousing it's lighter too.
zetec

posted on 12/6/05 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
With the MT75 you can easily move the gearlever to a better position than most type 9 installs which have the lever under the line of the dash. Another advantage is that a lot come with electronic speedo sensors which are the best for aftermarket guages. The only real disadvantage is the fact that changing gear ratios is not possible, but if you were going to use standard ones then not a problem... The gear change is very slick and the unit is very durable, mine is straight out of the donor and is perfect and gears slot in as fast as I can move the lever. Westfield fit it as standard so they can't be too bad!

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

MarcusB

posted on 13/6/05 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, Type 9 has a cable operated clutch assembly and the MT75 a hydraulic one. Maybe this will make your choice a bit easier considering the pedalbox you have installed.
saigonij

posted on 13/6/05 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
not all of them - it depends on the donor car it came out of.

Sierra/Granada are all cable operated clutches,

Later Scorpio are hydralic.

NS Dev

posted on 13/6/05 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
also you can move the lever back on the type 9 with a little engineering and it is a lot nicer than the external linkage on the mt75
zetec

posted on 14/6/05 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see how it could be easier to move the gear lever, very easy cheap home mod. The gearchange is very smooth short shift action. Each to their own....

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.