Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: shortend sump xflow
barrie sharp

posted on 13/6/05 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
shortend sump xflow

As title, I am looking for a shortend sump for a 1300 ford xflow and as usual for not too much money
TFYT Barrie

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

DarrenW

posted on 13/6/05 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
i too was looking for a shortened sump but for a pinto. In the end Mark Allanson sent me a very useful sheet that detailed how he did his. I made my own in the end, not as hard as you might think and thoroughly rewarding. Start a thread in engines section and see if anyone has done a xflow sump. If you search for pinto shortened sump you will find my thread.

Here you go - save you looking - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=26567

Im afraid most of it is me waffling on but Mark's link is there. You could also look into fitting a pipe to drain a catch tank back into the sump.

[Edited on 13/6/05 by DarrenW]

David Jenkins

posted on 13/6/05 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
You can also look on my website - link below - and go to "Special tools and parts".

Show's the way I did it... by sheer luck, my oil capacity ended up almost the same.

DJ

DarrenW

posted on 13/6/05 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I guess its no surprise that the xflow sump mods are very similar to the pinto sump mods. I extended my sump forwards to attempt to extend the capacity. I also added extra baffle where the oil pick up pipe goes in (not forgetting the hole for the dipstick). This baffle was basically the original base turned over and welded in after making the two holes.

I dont know what the new capacity is yet - i havent primed oil pump and filter as yet. Im expecting between 5 and 6 litres. Im hoping extra capacity will aid cooling and longevity of the oil.

Hardest part was sealing the sump. I found in the end filling with water and leaving for a day or so meant tiny rust spots were visible were water had bled thro. Interstingly i didnt get a run of water - more of a droplet where the hole was - if that makes sense (the first fill was more like several runs though!!). I enjoyed this part of the build albeit a little time consuming. Best part was that it saved me approx £75.

Sides were 1.6mm, base is 3mm thick. I have also tapered the base by 50mm (should have gone a bit more) so that road debris will not hit square edge, hopefully the sump will try and ride over it. I didnt shorten it beyond the line of the bell housing.

wicket

posted on 13/6/05 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Here's how I did mine.
Mark Allanson

posted on 13/6/05 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barrie sharp
As title, I am looking for a shortend sump for a 1300 ford xflow and as usual for not too much money
TFYT Barrie

I know someone who would shorten it FOC if you can get it down to him!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

barrie sharp

posted on 14/6/05 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mark i might take you up on that offer i am in no rush for it. it may give me a reason to shoot down the A30
Thanks Barrie

the cars looking good" a blind man would be pleased to see it"
''stop press'' the blind mans seen it said "it felt ok"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.