Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Securing prop shaft adaptor
andrew.carwithen

posted on 15/6/05 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Securing prop shaft adaptor

How do I secure the prop adaptor to my '94 blade engine?
I have the retaining bolt, but I need some form of spacer/washer to sit underneath it and bear against the adaptor.
I've had a look in my 'blade manual and there's a photo of the engine sprocket with its bolt and retaining washer.
Would this washer be suitable to use on the prop adaptor and does anyone know if they're readily available from a Honda dealership?
What have others used?

Andy.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/6/05 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
You really need a small spacer washer turned up that will sit behind the prop flange, ie put spacer on first, then flange, then tighten up the retaining bolt against the prop flange. The flange needs to be just thick enough so the retaining bolt clamps up against the flange and not the output shaft.

mkblade

posted on 15/6/05 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
i went to honda when i was doing my prop adapter they didnt do a washer ,i just measured the diameter and the width i needed managed to find a plate at work cut it to shape and drilled out the middle .ive got no play in it all works ok ,
andrew.carwithen

posted on 15/6/05 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin
You really need a small spacer washer turned up that will sit behind the prop flange, ie put spacer on first, then flange, then tighten up the retaining bolt against the prop flange. The flange needs to be just thick enough so the retaining bolt clamps up against the flange and not the output shaft.

I'd still need some sort of large retaining washer though, Chris, as the bolt head is smaller than the diameter of the hole in middle of adaptor (see pic).
Anyone got a suitable spacer that Chris mentions? Rescued attachment prop adaptor and reversing gear seperated.jpg
Rescued attachment prop adaptor and reversing gear seperated.jpg

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/6/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ah I see what you mean now. I can't remember now how the stock blade one was, it must have had a bloomin great thick washer on that bolt. Either way though, you still need to take up any slack so the flange cant slide on the splines.

welderman

posted on 15/6/05 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure but i think i used a 25-30mm washer?. Kept on sanding it down until it fitted.
david cromie

posted on 15/6/05 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Washer

I believe that the washer used on the rear sierra hubs are not far away. The thickness has been mentioned on the Forum some time ago. David
Wadders

posted on 16/6/05 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Sprocket bolts usually have a splined tab washer behind them which you bend over to stop the bolt coming loose.
andrew.carwithen

posted on 17/6/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replies, guys...

quote:
Originally posted by mkblade
i went to honda when i was doing my prop adapter they didnt do a washer ,i just measured the diameter and the width i needed managed to find a plate at work cut it to shape and drilled out the middle .ive got no play in it all works ok ,

I'm surprised at that...I've just been into my local Honda dealership and they had the sprocket retaining washer on their parts microfiche. Just over £3.
Had to order it, mind, as it wasn't in stock. Should be here in a week's time!! Good Job I'm not in a major hurry for it then!
Still, one bonus was that they did the fittings for Goodridge hoses and so I was able to get the correct length banjo bolts I've been after for my rear (Sierra) calipers!
They also do a nice line in aftermarket diddy indicators (E-marked an' all) so that's another item I can tick off the parts wanted list...

Andy.

minimanred

posted on 25/6/05 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
i tried to get a cupped washer made to go between the adaptor and retaining bolt but it couldnt be made easily so on the advise of colin at mac#1 used this washer behind the adaptor instead.
its 4mm thick, has an internal diameter of 32mm an an outside diameter of 55mm and does the job perfect and can be bought from most nut an bolt suppliers.
i got a load free from walters hexagon if that helps Rescued attachment big washer.jpg
Rescued attachment big washer.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.