Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rx7 engine - no good?
Damon Hill

posted on 24/6/05 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
rx7 engine - no good?

i was wondering about an rx7 in the paper, but something at the back of my head says "mid-engine". Is it a middy, and if so, can you use it for a locost?
ethomas

posted on 24/6/05 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
No, it is front engined, and should be PERFECT for a locost, it has a better power/weight than anything except for a bike engine.

Decent gearbox too

Spottty

posted on 24/6/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
They are a great engine. But be warned you will probly need to rebuild it. The Rotaries are bad if they arnt maintained. If they over heat or get low on oil it hurts them bad.

But on the plus side, a street port job and some better exhuast and intake and you can get 175hp with out the turbo. And they weight about 200 pounds less than most 4 cyls.

Ohh and if your mental you can add a turbo for 250+hp!!

1 more thing, if its a 86+ it has IRS with probly a 4.10 gear.

Can you tell what i'm using as a donor?

Best thing to do for a build....
Ditch the wife!

Arthur Dent

posted on 25/6/05 at 05:30 AM Reply With Quote
I've got an 81 Rx-7 (12A) so I can take a few measurements for you if you want.

I'm not using an Rx-7 as a donor mainly because the engine needs a really beefy exhaust to survive the heat the engine puts out and to muffle the noise generated. Locosts don't leave a lot of room for the exhaust system ...

cool engine though - mine was taken care of and runs like a champ! I just think it would work better in a Triumph Spitfire or something with a bit more room.

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

Spottty

posted on 25/6/05 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ya, the noise may be a problem. they are really loud without a good muffler. There is a solution to this though:

Add a turbo! I know it sounds silly but a turbo will muffle some of the exhuast plus now you only have a downpipe to worry about instead of a header!

But the downside is now there is more heat. I guess you could put tons of louvers in the hood, that should cool things down. or a 3 core radiator.

The main reason I'm sticking to the rotary is the small size, light weight with good power. Ohh and that it can rev to 9k rpm

Best thing to do for a build....
Ditch the wife!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.