Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need new 'pooter, opinions please

posted on 24/6/05 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Need new 'pooter, opinions please

My pooter went t*ts up last Sunday so I'm after a new one.

Someone recommended a Mesh.

Any good? Good after sales service?
Availabillity of spares?

Or any other recommendations.

This is far from my pet subject so any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers chaps

Paul G

britishtrident

posted on 24/6/05 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Any work I have done on Mesh PCs have left me less than impressed, I also not a fan of Packard-Hell (oops Packard-Bell) , Tiny and Time. if you want decent quality look at Fusitsu-Siemens, Dell, or HP-Compaq.
Avoneer

posted on 24/6/05 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think you can really go wrong with a DELL.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 24/6/05 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Build yourself one. You will save money. Learn most of what you need to be able to fix it if it goes wrong. Its really easy to do these days, you just put it all together, stick in the windows disk and you are away (pretty much).

I have built several and they are all still going strong (I hope!). i am about to go home and build 2 more, one for dad and one for my sister. Enough bits to build dad a top spec machine for around £500.

But if you want to spend more cash then:

We have a mesh at home, and it has been a good pc. The customer services are quite good too. Its also built with quality parts (but its now 3 or 4 yrs old!).

Dell are good, but are extortionately priced.

[Edited on 24/6/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Hellfire

posted on 24/6/05 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'd suggest building one also... but Dell do a similar thing on't website for probably less

Given the choice I'd continue building - but if you haven't the time or knowledge then DELL.

Jasper

posted on 24/6/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Dell - had 4 now, service is pretty good, can't beat them on price, and last time they sent me an extra high-res 17" flat screen and wireless keyboard and mouse - gets my vote
viatron

posted on 24/6/05 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Dont get sucked into buying something you dont need!! If all you want to do is a bit of home admin, surf the net etc then a complete base unit should cost you no more than £200.
If on the other hand you are a games nut then be prepared for a big hole in your wallet!! If you are still stuck on what to buy then PM me and i can help.

Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 24/6/05 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've just replaced the hard drive, memory and motherboard in my wifes' computer and reused the case, drives, processor and fans. It cost £113 and works well. I used a fully integrated motherboard as it's only for surfing and some scanning etc. and it does the job admirably.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ray.h.

posted on 24/6/05 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Bought a Medion with AMD Athlon processor from Staples about 2 years ago and its never given me a moments trouble.So good i daren,t replace it cos i,m not likely to get such a good one again.Internet speeds are pretty good on broadband and my son says it is a good games machine.Try Ebuyer.com. they are always sending me offers for pc,s at £300-500.
Tim 45

posted on 24/6/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Im using a Shuttle SS56G v2

These are excellent, you buy the barebones system and the processor, memory (you could use your existing harddrive, they have built in graphics and soundcards)...But unlike most there is actually a detailed build manual, so no need for guess work.

The Shuttles are amazingly compact and can fit on the desktop without the risk of being kicked

And you can build one for around about £300 if you use the harddrive and dvd drive from your old pc and this will include a new pentium 4 processor. Oh also it helps to save money if you use your old monitor as well.

My two penny-worth

PS if you don't have XP you could upgrade by getting the oem version less than £80!! Only if you buy something internal though like memory.

[Edited on 24/6/05 by Tim 45]

Danozeman

posted on 24/6/05 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Dell are very good and good money.

I bought an Emachines from pcworld. Have had no troubles with it and the aftersales is good. I have recommended them to a few ppl who have bought them and have been as pleased as i have been. Cheap too.

A bloke i work with has just bought one. P4 3.0 250gig hard drive 512 ram dvd/rw, 8 in 1 card reader 17 inch flat screen 400 quid.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

aweekes1

posted on 24/6/05 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Avoid Mesh, Tiny, Time, Packard-Bell etc. If you want a decent PC for sensible money buy a Dell (Just get the one they advertise that month as they are normally a good deal with fast delivery) or go to PC world and get a Compaq/HP machine. Typically buy one machine up from the lowest spec and don't get talked into extened warrantys, surge protecting power strips, or anything the like.

Don't bother building one yourself unless the build is part of the fun for you.

Danozeman

posted on 24/6/05 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Surge protectors are a good idea. Ive had a pc blow through a power surge. Cost a dam site more than a tenner for a protected 4 plug.

Just dont buy one from a pc shop. Half the price elsewhere. Think one of mine came from bq.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

ceebmoj

posted on 24/6/05 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
hi,

how about you meat up with amember in youer area and get them to take you to a couple of shops to show you what is what.

if you are in manchester I dont mined showing you a couple of good places for bits if you whant to build and I can show you how to build one it is very easy once you have seen it done. alternatly if you decude that you just whant to buy a system having some one who know what thay are talking about with you will save you alots of hasle.

some of the lyes I hear salsmen in pc world touting are rediculas

blake

shades

posted on 24/6/05 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just bought a dell well pleased. Unbox and plug in. Full MS office for £17
Hellfire

posted on 24/6/05 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aweekes1
Avoid Mesh, Tiny, Time, Packard-Bell etc. If you want a decent PC for sensible money buy a Dell (Just get the one they advertise that month as they are normally a good deal with fast delivery) or go to PC world and get a Compaq/HP machine. Typically buy one machine up from the lowest spec and don't get talked into extened warrantys, surge protecting power strips, or anything the like.

Don't bother building one yourself unless the build is part of the fun for you.

Go on - confuse the guy!

pbura

posted on 25/6/05 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a couple of weeks to screw around researching, shopping and waiting for parts, building is the way to go, IMO. I prefer using my 750 MHz homebuilt to my 2.6 GHz Dell, in fact. It crashes less and is generally more responsive than the Dell, wierdly enough.

Start with picking a processor and reading motherboard reviews. The manual for whatever motherboard you buy will tell you everything else you need to know about what kind of memory, case, power supply, and storage to buy. Get everything off eBay and put it together; again, the mobo manual tells how to do it all. The assembly process is very simple; everything's modular and just plugs together.

Some interesting reading on the forums here:

http://www.motherboards.org/index.html

An alternative for getting cheap software (operating system and MS Office) is to look for barebones computers using a good motherboard. eBay's a good place to find these, too.

Pete

Pete

posted on 25/6/05 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the terrific responce, keep it coming.

My old Packard Bell has seen better days, originally ran Windows Me, so that gives its age away.

My knowedge of these things is sooooo limited that I think building one is out of the question.

I do have a little bit of time though as my son is back from uni and we have his laptop set up. (I hate this keyboard)

I only need a bog standard thing, but it would be nice to have one he can use as well when he is home.
I think the Mesh was suggested because it has a 64 bit processor (why can't they make it in one?)
and yet still affordable at £427 (with no vat). I'v just typed that, but I'v no idea what it means.

Thanks a lot chaps, your all being a great help.

Paul G

Why can't everything be like metallurgy, nice and simple?

jonbeedle

posted on 25/6/05 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Evesham.com They have just built me a new one. Excellent free helpline. Used them for years. They'll build you what you want from £300 upwards.
Cheers
Jon

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

RoadkillUK

posted on 25/6/05 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Try CCL Computers and keep me in a job

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

EddThompson

posted on 26/6/05 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
www.europc.co.uk is pretty good for dells

edd

Andrew+dad

posted on 26/6/05 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
www.aria.co.uk

brilliantr site helpfull guys fast delivery will make to your own spec or to your own buget ... much cheaper then any other site ive found for components and especially FLAT SCREENS ;p

posted on 27/6/05 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
So, more votes for Dell than anything else.

Anyone got any veiws on the eMac ?

I'v got to make my mind up soon, The boy wants his laptop back.

Cheers

Paul G

Ian Pearson

posted on 28/6/05 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
Buy a mag like PC PRO, and read through their write ups. Mesh and Evesham have consistently come high in their write ups since I bought my first computer 7 years ago. Time who also own Tiny, are reputed to have less than satisfactory after sales service, but not having any first hand experience with them, I couldn't really say! They do tend to do some high spec stuff for a reasonable price. Dell and all the big boys tend to be more expensive than the Mesh, Evesham etc's.

Good Luck.

posted on 28/6/05 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your help chaps.

Much appreciated.

I'v taken the plunge, and ordered a Dell

Cheers

Paul G

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.