Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Damaged Pinto Block, for engine number
RichyMkIndy

posted on 28/6/05 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Damaged Pinto Block, for engine number

hi,

does any1 have an old pinto block which is beyond repair or just one they want to skip. as the engine i have doesnt have a number on and i need to get a number for my SVA and stamp it on.

Can any1 help ! SVA is very close already booked ! And i need to send off the letter to ford confirming the date of the engine

Rich

Avoneer

posted on 28/6/05 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Why does your engine have no number?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichyMkIndy

posted on 28/6/05 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
i made the stupid mistake of buying one, then realised it didnt have an engine number abotu a year later !
Doh!

i am a fool

Avoneer

posted on 28/6/05 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
May seem very suss to an SVA inspector if the block number has been stamped on.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 29/6/05 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
sounds a bit shady to me too, but i noticed that paul at play's kool motorsport had a 205 block sitting in the rain, looking sorry for itself. might be worth an enquiry, if it comes to it, but it does sound like questionable practice to me.

will ask him about it when i go to pick the indy up tomorrow, but i'd follow official channels first.
tom

RichyMkIndy

posted on 30/6/05 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
the engine is a 2.1 so its had the engine number removed beause its made up of loads of different engines so the guy who built it angle grinded it off. if i dont have an enine number i will have to conform to latest emmisions i think ?
DarrenW

posted on 30/6/05 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichyMkIndy
the engine is a 2.1 so its had the engine number removed beause its made up of loads of different engines so the guy who built it angle grinded it off. if i dont have an enine number i will have to conform to latest emmisions i think ?

Sounds more dodgy by the minute!!

Did you get receipt with it? Can you prove it is not stolen? I have heard that the police have the technology to still identify what the number is using acid as the stell will have been distorted below where they where originally stamped unless it has been ground very deep. I can recall in my days of weld testing that if steel is cleaned up (ie no rust) and wiped over with acid the heat penetrated portion shows up black (same technique used to test for hardness depth). Cant remember what acid / concentration though. Perhaps someone can elaborate. I remember my old company buying the acid from a chemists in big brown glass containers. Hydrochloric rings a bell but im not 100% certain. Could be worth a try.
I can also remember a mate using the acid to de-rust some old RS2000 components so the acid may have other uses as well. It is nasty stuff though so keep out of reach of children etc.

tony9876

posted on 30/6/05 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Personally i cant see someone going to the effort of pinching a pinto block when people are giving them away
indykid

posted on 30/6/05 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
i've never seen a 2.1 given away

what's to say it was said guy that did the engine build?

one to consider
tom

if anyone wants to prove me wrong, they are quite welcome to give me a 2.1 pinto

RichyMkIndy

posted on 1/7/05 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
yeah its totoaly silly that someone would take the engine number off the block, unless it was robbed when sierras were new or somthing !

its been a 2.1 for many years and was used in an offroad buggy so no need for an engine number there.

This is such a curse ! i hate it ive got my SVA very soon and im not gonna be able to do an engine swap and then set up a stock 2.0 with my carbs that would cost a fortune too ! :'(

wish id never bought the thing now i just didnt think to check as its such an old engine anyway why would any1 remove the number !

KAD

posted on 3/8/05 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Can of worms

I had the same problem with my engine
What you must do officially is to contact the Stolen vehicle squad in your area (get their number from main switch board)
Tell them that you have an engine with no block number, they will then come to have a look at it and test it as per last post.
If they can trace the block to a stolen car they should tell you who owns it now usually an insurance company (9 times out of 10 with a low value item they will give it to you.
The cops will then allocate a SVS No to the block and stamp it.
If the owner ship cannot be established and you have some proof of owner ship as above or they cant be bothered to find it they should stamp it as above.

If you stamp your own number on it and it is checked at the road side (VOSPA) or accident, say they can confiscate your CAR and strip the engine and confiscate the block you will get the car back eventually and the engine bits plus a bill for storage.
Remember we are talking only about the engine block.
They are of the opinion that any production engine with a stamped block the only reason to destroy the engine number is because it is stolen.
In your case because of the age of the block and its low value I think they will just stamp it for you. But who knows let us know what happens KAD

Coose

posted on 4/8/05 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a tip - chuck it in the nearest skip and fit a Zetec or a Toyota!

Spin 'er off Well...

JoelP

posted on 4/8/05 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
ditto KADs post. i think you will have no problems if you call the police.

I ended up with a stolen car bought on false plates, with a fake v5. When i tried to register it, the DVLA told me the plate didnt exist. The law came round, identified the car from its engine number, said it was stolen 2 years ago. I recieved a log book for the new reg (v5 states that the registered keeper isnt necessarily the vehicles legal owner), had an assessor come round from the insurance company that now owned the rights to the vehicle. They never decided how much they wanted for it. So a year later, i sold it to a mate, he sold it on, and that was the last i heard of it.

The guy i bought it off got arrested for handling stolen goods, charge dropped for lack of evidence.

So on the face of it, they let me keep the full vehicle - i suspect that you will have no problems with a simple engine!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.