Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Here's my donor
Arthur Dent

posted on 30/6/05 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Here's my donor

after years and years of thinking about building a Locost I've finally gone and bought a donor and a welder.

Its a ... 1986 Hyundai Stellar - 1.6L 4 banger (Mitsu 4G32) with a 5spd. ~75hp and 100 lb-ft - OHC motor. Anyway this paticular Stellar is an early one and as such is a copy of the old Ford Cortina so it should be a decent donor.

Anyone used a Mitsu 4G32 engine before? My only worry is it looks a little tall. What is the ideal engine height for a book build?

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

James

posted on 30/6/05 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Another lot of years and years and it'll be finished!

Just like mine's taking!

James

[Edited on 30/6/05 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

wilkingj

posted on 30/6/05 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ah ... A Stellar.... Does it run on Lager?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Spottty

posted on 30/6/05 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hey!! ANother Canadian!!!! WOOHOOO!

I was worried about height on mine too. The 13b (mazda rotary) is about 26" tall. I can ditch an inch from the oil pan to make it 25". I have seen a few 7's with 13b's so I know you can fit 25".

On to other things. Where are you from? I'm a Calgarian and it would be really cool to have another builder here!

Happy Canada day!!!
Good luck with the build.

Best thing to do for a build....
Ditch the wife!

Arthur Dent

posted on 30/6/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in Calgary too! I’m up in the NW – Hawkwood. Small world eh? How far along are you on your build? I'd love to take a peek at it if you willing. I'm just starting out (need to get my garage wired up for the welder first).

Did you get any firm consensus on requirements for registration? I looked into it and they said it would be fine. Apply for VIN, get RCMP safety inspection (similar to out of province). But I have nothing in writing from them. Worries me a little.

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

Spottty

posted on 30/6/05 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well, mines kinda just starting.

I'm going through a divorce so the build got halted. But I'm getting my new garage on Aug 5th in Marlborough so thats when the frame building starts. Should be on the road next summer (being that I have no wife to slow me down). I'm using a '86 RX7 thats totaly gutted right now.

Have you got your car apart yet? That took longer than I thought it would, I budgeted a day and it took about 3 to get all the wiring.

As for the registration, i'm not too sure but a I know a good hot rod shop that would probly help you out by the time its built. They did a T bucket from scratch and its on the road right now (that yellow one at world of wheels if you went this year).

I would love to meet up and compare notes/ideas. Give me a U2U sometime!

Ditch the wife!

Arthur Dent

posted on 30/6/05 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to hear about the divorce.

haven't taken it apart yet. Just got it last week but I want to get thing power washed to make it a little more pleasent to take apart. Water usage ban and all - I haven't got their yet. Then I'd like to cut down on the emissions crap hanging off the engine and make sure it still runs well before ripping out the motor.

I got a wife and two little ones so I'm thinking mine's more in the 2-3 year range. The main reason for buying the Stellar is so its as close to standard as possible. Once finished I can tinker (like adding a turbo Talon motor that will bolt up to my Stellar tranny).

Spottty

posted on 30/6/05 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arthur Dent
sorry to hear about the divorce.

Dont be. We are still friends and I think this will be best for both of us.

quote:
Originally posted by Arthur Dent
(like adding a turbo Talon motor that will bolt up to my Stellar tranny).

I need ot ride in that! My friend has a AWD Talon with a proven 400hp. THat thing is scary, I cant imagine what it would be like with 1500lbs gone!

Are you building a +442 chassis, or just book? I'm building the 442 for the added hieght in the engine bay and width in the cockpit, I'm Canadian (fat arse)! And it should make way for the turbo I want to bolt to the 13b the year after its done!

Ohh, and what are you thinking of doing for body work? I was going to order a CMC nosecone but they went belly up so now i'm thinking of making my own. If I get to that point before you I could make some for ya if you buy the material. I'll have the plugs anyway. Unless you know of a source I dont.

Ohh and I just remembered. There is a guy that races a Locost in the Calgary Sports Car Club. I dont know his name or what events he goes too but he will probly be at the big race in Red Deer next weekend. Check http://www.bishop.ab.ca/CSCC/ for race dates. I dont think his is road legal but it might give you some idea's on your build.

Ditch the wife!

Arthur Dent

posted on 1/7/05 at 02:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'm probably doing a book chassis build. I may need to get a different engine - mine's fat arse at 28" tall. I may go to the scrap yard this weekend to do some measuring. We'll see ... my axle is wide enough for the bigger chassis.

For body work I was going to look at trailer wheel wings and get my nose cone from http://www.canadianlocost.com/home.htm - shipping/customs from US/UK is killer.

ned

posted on 1/7/05 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
try a search for 'engine height', a couple of years ago there was a thread where someone posted dimensions of crank to top of engine for several engines which are commonly used which should give you a good idea...

Ned.

ps as i'm feeling especially useful today: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=4425

[Edited on 1/7/05 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Arthur Dent

posted on 4/7/05 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the list - mine's 18" from valve cover to top of oil pan - 23" tall not counting the air filter. Should just fit.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.