Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 0-60 test
scoobyis2cool

posted on 6/7/05 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
0-60 test

After having numerous problems with clutch cables snapping and speedo magnets flying off, I seemed to have finally got everything sorted so took my car out for its first timed 0-60 run (on a quiet local road with national speed limit). Results were:

First run 5.94s (well chuffed with that!)

Second run 6.20s but with wheelspin to begin with and the throttle cable came out of the pedal as I was changing into 3rd

The times were much better than I had hoped for, but with a useless accelerator pedal I had to limp back home at idle revs, although it still managed to drive in 4th so wasn't too slow!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
billy

posted on 6/7/05 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
up the Pinto POWA thats what i say not bad time m8

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

Spottty

posted on 6/7/05 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
What kinda horsepower are you putting down, even a guess will do.

Thats seems pretty quick! I dont know anything that doesnt have a big price tag that could keep up!

Best thing to do for a build....
Ditch the wife!

scoobyis2cool

posted on 6/7/05 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
More power would be nice. The engine currently idles appallingly so would be nice to get that sorted out some time soon as well!

Pete

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobyis2cool

posted on 6/7/05 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spottty
What kinda horsepower are you putting down, even a guess will do.

Thats seems pretty quick! I dont know anything that doesnt have a big price tag that could keep up!

I haven't had it dyno tested or anything but it's a bog standard 2L pinto with a decent exhaust and air filter, so I'd hazard a guess at around 110bhp.

The times surprised me, I was hoping for around 6.5s to 60 as a fairly optimistic time so to beat that by that amount is awesome! Could always be faster though...

Pete

Spottty

posted on 6/7/05 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, thats quick for 110hp! I wish my honda civic that I had was that fast to 60.

Now just add a turbo and see how dfast you can go through rear tires

Best thing to do for a build....
Ditch the wife!

carnut

posted on 6/7/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
How did you measure it?
scoobyis2cool

posted on 6/7/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spottty
Wow, thats quick for 110hp! I wish my honda civic that I had was that fast to 60.

Now just add a turbo and see how dfast you can go through rear tires

Yeah it was pretty fast, I think my car weighed in at about 570kg at SVA so it's not super lightweight but not bad. I can't imagine the engine is making more than 110bhp, but would be interesting to get it dyno'd at some point to find out.

I'd also like to do some more runs and see if the times are repeatable but that's not easy without an accelerator pedal

Pete

scoobyis2cool

posted on 6/7/05 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, the times were with 2 people in the car as well

Pete

scoobyis2cool

posted on 6/7/05 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carnut
How did you measure it?

Mate next to me with a stopwatch. Not very scientific I know but cheap! As I say I'd like to repeat the runs to get a more accurate time but the accelerator cable came loose so that was the end of that

Pete

NS Dev

posted on 7/7/05 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Not trying to be clever but having done it with the stopwatch method alongside the datron gear a few times, the watch is usually 0.8 - 1 sec optimistic.

By way of comparison, my mate's westfield which weighs in at 618 kg and has a std 2.0 pinto in it runs around 6.9 secs on the timing gear.

[Edited on 7/7/05 by NS Dev]

Alez

posted on 7/7/05 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
The best cheap way of measuring this that I can think of is by using a video camera. That gives you a time resolution of 1 sec / 25 (25 frames per second) to decide when exactly the car started moving and when it reached 60 mph. Modern VCRs can play frame-by-frame, I don't have one but plan to borrow it from a friend for this test..

Cheers,

Alex

scoobyis2cool

posted on 7/7/05 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I realise my time was probably optimistic, but unfortunately I wasn't able to do any more runs. The video camera idea is one I'd thought of, I can take video on my digital camera so it's dead easy to transfer it to my PC and step through frame by frame. Once the car is up and running again I'll give it a go and see how different the times are!

Pete

Mr G

posted on 7/7/05 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
You can take that 4.7 diff out now you've got your 0-60 figures so you can get a top speed higher than 85mph

G

[Edited on 7/7/05 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 7/7/05 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
You can take that 4.7 diff out now you've got your 0-60 figures so you can get a top speed higher than 85mph

G

[Edited on 7/7/05 by Mr G]

To be honest I spend most of my time driving on small local roads so a 4.7 diff might be quite a good investment!

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.