Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front Brake Flexis
James

posted on 12/7/05 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Front Brake Flexis

Made a bit of a rash decision with my front flexis purchase. The lovely (and expensive) Goodridge ones have a male end that is only threaded for about 15mm of it's length.

What this means is that once it's screwed into the calliper there's not enough exposed thread to wind a nut down and lock the flexi against the Sierra calliper (as the hole is pretty deep).

Would I be right in thinking that it needs a lock-nut where it goes into the calliper? It doesn't have a locknut at the other end of the flexi line either. Is this a SVA or more importantly general safety problem?

Thanks,
James

[Edited on 12/7/05 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mix

posted on 12/7/05 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find that the thread is either tapered or the union is intended to 'seat' with a copper washer. Either way you don't need a lock nut.

Mick

wilkingj

posted on 12/7/05 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I would agree with that. Mine have long threads for the chassis end, and terminate on a thin strip of metal welded to the chassis. I have used lock nuts here to hold the Male end firmly in the bracket, and then a female brake fitting nut on the ned, again no locknut there. This is normal practice as per most cars.

However, if you are not sure of your ground, consult a qualified mechanic / engineeer which I am NOT!.
Brakes are "Mission Critical" components and must be done correctly. Lives can depend upon it. Make sure you get it right.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigandy

posted on 12/7/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mine haven't got lock nuts on either. The seal is made by the convex seat on the flexi mating against a concave seat in the caliper, or it is made using a washer between the flexi and caliper. Mine seem to be sealing on the concave/vex seats...

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

britishtrident

posted on 13/7/05 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
As you have realised you have the wrong type of fitting for screwing directly into a caliper, you might be able to use a copper washer directly with out additional fittings although it might involve shortening the threaded end of the pipe fitting. The other way round it is to use a short intermediate hose with banjo fitting.

The general good practice with hydraulic systems is only one side of the joint should be soft enough to deform to form a seal against a harder surface -- ie one cant't seal like against like for example by mating a machined steel fiiting directly to another machined steel fitting or equally bad one shoudn't butt join two soft flaired pipes directly.

Lots of people out in Locost land will have done it and got away with it by making the fittings very tight or using a sealing compound but it isn't the corrct way to do it.

DarrenW

posted on 13/7/05 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
BT - are you sure James has the wrong fitting. Its difficult to identify from his description. If the flexi has the taper at the bottom and this is tightening up against a taper in the caliper could the combo be OK? or does a lock nut need to be fitted and his description of 'lack of threads' suggest it is the wrong type?

James - has the flexi fitting (hex part)bottomed out on the caliper before mating the tapers or do you still have a couple of threads exposed when it is tightened? Have you bled them up or can you disconnect and take some pics?
Did the flexis come with the lock nuts supplied. On mine the lock nut end fitted to my side panel / copper fitting - here is daft idea - is the flexi the right way round? Sorry if this is belittling - i do nt know what your set up looks like.

Deckman001

posted on 13/7/05 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
On a slightly related note, anyone know the regs reguarding the conection of the flexi to the fixed pipeing, ie, is there a reg to do with where is has to be fixed, close to the conection, or is a small distance between conection and fixed pipe allowed ???

Jason

James

posted on 13/7/05 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Tried and failed to draw it well enough so I'll take a photo later today.

The system seals and brakes ok. What concerns me is that the flexi will eventually unscrew from the calliper as the wheels turn because there is no locknut on the calliper end.

Anyway, a picture will tell all.

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 13/7/05 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

DarrenW

posted on 13/7/05 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
On a slightly related note, anyone know the regs reguarding the conection of the flexi to the fixed pipeing, ie, is there a reg to do with where is has to be fixed, close to the conection, or is a small distance between conection and fixed pipe allowed ???

Jason

Dont quite catch your drift - are you talking about the connection itself or how the flexi is routed to the caliper? Flexi needs to be in posn that wont pull tight on full lock or foul anything in other lock. My connection is secured to side panel with lock nut either side (iirc).

Can we sort James Q out first and come back to this? James has me a bit concerned as well now!!!

James

posted on 14/7/05 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
[img][/img]

James

posted on 14/7/05 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Image deleted by owner

As you can see, after the threaded part that is screwed into the calliper there is a plain shank. Upon this shank sits a nut (arrowed). There's not enough thread to wind this onto. So I'm thinking of cutting the nut off so it doens't raise SVA questions.

[Edited on 14/7/05 by James]

James

posted on 14/7/05 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
N/S Front Flexi Car
N/S Front Flexi Car

Because the flexi has a female end I bought a male--->male_bulkhead adapter fitting to screw into it and go through the chassis mounting.

There's no locknut holding the female to the male (although there is one holding the bulkhead adapter to the chassis).

My main worry is that with the lack of locknuts on the flexi am I in danger of the flexi undoing from the calliper or the adapter? SVA?

Thanks

James

[Edited on 14/7/05 by James]

Peteff

posted on 14/7/05 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
I used rubber flexies and cortina calipers but the fitting is the same, taper to taper, and has no lock nuts. It passed SVA and MOT and has not come loose or leaked since 2001. There is no turning force on it so why should it come loose?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

James

posted on 15/7/05 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
BTTT!

So everyone's cool about this setup then?

Cheers,
James

DarrenW

posted on 15/7/05 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I cant see anything wrong with it James. Obviously cant see that the tapers are sealed together but looks fine to me. You say the brakes work OK and as someone has said there are no rotation forces as such so shouldnt try and loosen itself. Maybe just keep an eye on it for a while.

The fact it has lock nut is odd but maybe it is a universal flexi that will suit a different application as well. i dont suppose you have the goodridge part number so you can look at the application listing????

I got my flexis supplied with the kit so knew they would fit the car and calipers etc but i cant see any maojor differences with what you have done.

indykid

posted on 16/7/05 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
i don't think those bleed nipples should be at the bottom though!!

take them off, and show us the taper on the end, and the amount of thread.
tom

ned

posted on 16/7/05 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
james, you haven't put them on the wrong way round have you? ie you've got an adapter on the male end to fit the bulkhead/bracket at the chassis end and you've got a spare locknut on a sleeve at the brake caliper end?!

just a thought.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
albertz

posted on 16/7/05 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit that i thought the same as Ned. The part you have screwed into the caliper looks like the bulhead fixing to mate with the rigid piping. Although i cannot understand the female fitting on the other end. Are you absolutely sure the company sent you the correct parts for your application?
rusty nuts

posted on 16/7/05 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
looking at the piccies you have calipers on the wrong way round , as already suggested bleed nipples should be at top

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.