Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: survival instructions
pgpsmith

posted on 26/7/05 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
Ive met some very friendly people and some real stinkers in all of the (few) countries I've visited. And if their good days / bad days were reversed, my impression may have reversed as well. I'm sure that some people think I'm arrogant even though I'm the soul of humility and discretion...

There are some decent people in the U.S. My bias sees more of them in Kansas, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc., but I've known several in New Jersey.

2000 out of 50 Million? I'd always heard that everybody was in the resistance!

Unless our hearts are changed there is no hope.

Peace,
Pete Byar

Live and don't learn, that's us. - Calvin and Hobbes

andkilde

posted on 26/7/05 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikePWhat I find so disturbing is that justified or not, resentments dating back to Napoleon continue to fester between France and England (and now Canada?). What hope is there for South Eastern Europe and the Middle East with much longer histories?

Mike, the French and the English have been bickering for centuries. It's a war of words on the English side and action on the French (Argentine military sales, agriculture bans, defying the Iraqi embargo, etc), they do everything they can to be difficult it seems including stirring up sh*t in the middle east by siding with the Iraqi's, Jordan and the Palestinians.

And the French have meddled in Canada's affairs for ages, most recently by encouraging the separatist bastards in Quebec.

I'll agree with you on the Iraq war being an utter farce perpetrated by the greedy neo-cons -- but the French have made their own beds...

Hope in the middle-east? None in the short term IMHO. Alternative energy, perhaps...

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the JoKeR

posted on 28/7/05 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Hi, it was Ohio that I visited, the Canton area in stark county specifically. I got the impression that this is a VERY conservative area!!!!! Certainly we went on a night out in Akron while I was there and that was much more fun! I have fallen into the trap that I mentioned of judging a country by one area I think, as I have visited the states a few times now, but with work and to Canton Ohio each time. Must visit elsewhere!!!

Been on vacation for a few days, so to bring this part of the thread back to life... Canton, and the much larger Cleveland to the north, are both decent areas, filled with mainly average, decent people. Ohio used to be part of the territory I covered at a previous job, and by and large they seemed to be pretty much middle of the road type of people - different from the East, South, or Western states. As another generalization, I've heard that mid-westerners (including Ohio) are considered trust-worthy, but also take longest to 'warm-up' to outsiders (foreigners or even people from outside the mid-west). That might explain, in part at least, the impression you got. Then again, maybe we are just a bunch of self-centered bastards! But yes, try and visit elsewhere. There are a lot of amazing places to go. I'm partial to Montana/Idaho/South Dakota for the scenery. A huge part of our history is on the east coast (Boston, New York, etc.) but I don't care for the heavy population density, traffic, etc.

Jeff
http://www.midwestwelding.com
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.