Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Concern over front suspension.
Rorty

posted on 16/1/03 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
In that particular instance, I would leave well alone. Those shock bushes are a prime example of where a rubber/Metalastic bush actually performs within its limits.
The deflection of the shock during wheel travel is a lot less than the wishbone pivots typically see. Therefore, the bush merely flexes, and the rubber is man enough for the job, as rotation of the shock eye around its mounting bolt is minimal.
The reason rubber shock bushes wear out quickly is more to do with their diminutive size, and the pounding they take, rather than anything to do with being torn apart by rotational force.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kb58

posted on 21/1/03 at 04:10 AM Reply With Quote
Back to the original topic. The way I did it was by building it in reverse. That is, I built up a fixture which held the suspension arm rod-ends at the exact points in space relative to each other. The fixture was then "offered up" to the chassis and fixed in position. The beauty of that is you then simply build brackets out from the chassis with bolts already passing through the rod-ends. That way you know for SURE that it's exactly where it should be.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 21/1/03 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
whatever happened to lasermans great idea of a pre manufacured weld on box type front end with brackets attatched?

atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 21/1/03 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
The weld on box would be only as good as its fitment. Have a peep at "castor angle" in Running Gear so see the accuracy required to maintain the castor angle.
dougal

posted on 9/2/03 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
im not getting involved in the argument but from my point of view as an engineer is that if you are going to let the tube rotate around the bush the make sure that the bolt outer to tube inner clearance is very small or else any slop will allow the sleve to machine the bolt causing stress raisers allowing cracks in the bolt.
im not sure what im gonna use.

jcduroc

posted on 26/2/03 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Susp mounting

quote:
Originally posted by Rorty.
... Another instance of a crush tube, is the short length of tube you would weld through a chassis member through which you would insert a bolt for the likes of a seat belt shackle. In this case, the crush tube prevents the seat belt bolt from crushing the surrounding chassis member.

Rorty

How would a front wishbone mounting be, IYO (in your opinion), crossing the chassis member tube?

Joćo

Rorty

posted on 27/2/03 at 03:34 AM Reply With Quote
IIUYC (if I understand you correctly) There's no reason why that can't be done in theory. I've seen both Rose joints and studded brackets mounted through chassis members before. Obviously, the hole in the chassis member would need to have a crush tube welded in.
The problem with mounting a Rose joint in such a manner, is the short amount of thread. It is surmountable by using a 2X adjuster in the chassis, which means the Rose joint is infinitely adjustable, and never needs to be removed for adjustment. The weight penalty and extra components/machining may render it unsuitable for all but the racing 7esque Locosts though.
The glory of mounting everything through the chassis is, initally, you just have to drill some 19mm holes, and weld in the crush tubes. After that, all the brackets can be bolted in. A neat trick would be to position the studs on the back of the brackets off centre, so by rotating them 180 degrees, you would have a different amount of caster.
If any other dimensions needed to be varied at a later date, new brackets with suitably off-set studs could be inserted.
Is that what you meant, or have I totally missed the mark?

Cheers, Rorty.

Fast Westie

posted on 27/2/03 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I've seen both Rose joints and studded brackets mounted through chassis members before

Caterham do this quite regularly, even in the wishbones.

The car in front is a Westfield

jcduroc

posted on 27/2/03 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
[quote There's no reason why that can't be done in theory. I've seen both Rose joints and studded brackets mounted through chassis members before. Obviously, the hole in the chassis member would need to have a crush tube welded in... The glory of mounting everything through the chassis is, initally, you just have to drill some 19mm holes, and weld in the crush tubes... Is that what you meant, or have I totally missed the mark?

What I mean is something like this (apart from the very poor drawings, just done them on the spot/over my knees)

[img]C:\Documents and settings\administrator\my documents\my pictures\FrSuspWishboneWithUNIBALLOnChassisTube.gif[/img]

or this, with bushes

[img]C:\Documents and settings\administrator\my documents\my pictures\FrSuspWishboneWithPolybushOnChassisTube.gif[/img]

what do you think?

Joćo

jcduroc

posted on 27/2/03 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
[img]C:\Documents and settings\administrator\my documents\my pictures\FrSuspWishboneWithUNIBALLOnChassisTube.gif[/img]

or this, with bushes

[img]C:\Documents and settings\administrator\my documents\my pictures\FrSuspWishboneWithPolybushOnChassisTube.gif[/img]

what do you think?

Ignorant I am, pictures do not show up, so I uploaded them to my Photos area (jcduroc)

Joćo

Rorty

posted on 28/2/03 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
OK, I totally misunderstood you. What you're illustrating, is actually a wishbone pivot, mounted in "single shear" i.e. it has a shear path in just one place, as opposed to the more common double shear bracket, that supports both sides of the pivot.
I certainly wouldn't recommend a single shear mount for the lower wishbone, as it is quite highly loaded, however, it would be suitable, though not ideal, for the upper wishbone mounts.
You would have to ensure the crush tube has a wall thickness of at least 3mm, and is correctly positioned. Needless to say, you would want to use a grade 8 imperial bolt, or a 10.9 metric bolt, and observe the correct torque figures when tightening.
A fail-safe washer would also have to be used. A FS washer is to prevent the wishbone eye coming off the bolt in the event the bush fails. The same goes for any type of pivot mounted in single shear. The washer would need to be about 10% larger in diameter than the wishbone eye, and not less than 3mm thick. See attached pic. Rescued attachment fail_safe_washer.jpg
Rescued attachment fail_safe_washer.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

fastenuff

posted on 28/2/03 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
hi ya Joao

have a look at: http://www.freshairmotoring.com.au/
think this is what you are looking at

Ingmar

jcduroc

posted on 28/2/03 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fastenuff
hi ya Joao

have a look at: http://www.freshairmotoring.com.au/
think this is what you are looking at

Hi Ingmar

Is this what you mean?
Joćo

Rescued attachment LeitchFrSusp.gif
Rescued attachment LeitchFrSusp.gif

Rorty

posted on 1/3/03 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
Joao, whoever built that car has mounted everything in single shear, includind the shocks. It's not exactly going to fall apart though, all those bolts look like they're 12mm or even 16mm!

Cheers, Rorty.

fastenuff

posted on 1/3/03 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
yep thought that was what you were talking about.

Rorty
this chasis is a commercial chasis build in Melbourne, OZ or New Zealand. they must be doing something right selling their cars.

Ingmar

jcduroc

posted on 2/3/03 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
Scrub radius

Ingmar

This is Leitch, origin NZ, also sold in AU.

Rorty

Had a look at the amazing wheel inset? And the amount of scrub radius it has?

Cheers
Joćo

Rorty

posted on 2/3/03 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
Joao:
quote:

Had a look at the amazing wheel inset? And the amount of scrub radius it has?

yes, I moticed that too. It must be around 150mm!
They obviously feel, being such a light car, it warrants that amount. Either that, or it handles like a pig!

Cheers, Rorty.

kingr

posted on 2/3/03 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I looks like they've put the wheels on backwards!

Kingr

cymtriks

posted on 2/3/03 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Leitch chassis

Superb triangulation compared to most kit car chassis if possibly a bit overweight. The lower wishbone of the Leitch, and Caterham, appear to be in single shear mounts. The lower wishbones carry roughly double the loads of the upper wishbones so if it's OK for the lower ones it should be good enough all over.
jcduroc

posted on 2/3/03 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Who are they kidding?!...

quote:
Originally posted by kingr
I looks like they've put the wheels on backwards!

Kingr

Judging from the cycleguards stays it seems so!...

Joćo

Rorty

posted on 3/3/03 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's time we put this joke to bed, and stop mucking about, in case someone sees that pic of the Leitch, and reads this thread, thinking it is alright to build their car with that amount of offset/scrub radius.
THEY HAVE DEFINITELY PUT THE WHEEL ON BACKWARDS for clarity, when they wanted to show off their suspension.

Cheers, Rorty.

Duncan

posted on 3/3/03 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you look closely at the wheel on the right side of the picture you can clearly see it is on the wrong way round.

Maybe its time to put this whole post to bed?

I think all that can be said, has been said, although no doubt one of you will have something else to say?

Any of you guys know anyone who would like to earn an extra £50 - £250 per week, full or part time?

craig1410

posted on 5/3/03 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Must be one of the longest threads in history...but there was a point to it once which is why I've just read through it, trying to find the answer!

Question I have is regarding the orientation of tubes LA and LB. I have welded them so that the front faces of LA and LB are parallel to the lateral axis of the car. (ie. Front faces of tubes LA and LB in same plane)

However, that means that, due to the inclination of the front assembly, the outside faces (where suspension upper front mounts attach) of LA and LB are not parallel to the longitudinal axis of the car which seems wrong to me because the suspension mounting will then not be in line with the longitudinal axis either. I'm sure I could pack out the bracket to suit but surely that can't be right either.

Basically I can't see how the front face can be parallel to the lateral axis and the side face parallel to the longitudinal axis at the same time with an inclined front subassembly.

Which way should it be aligned? The book doesn't seem to be very concerned about this and the pictures are inconclusive.

Thanks for any help you guys can give,
Craig.

davef

posted on 5/3/03 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Craig do yourself a favour and fit and tack weld LA&LB in situ on chassis, it,s a lot easier & do as i suggested to Hornet.
take 25mm out of the top tubes & lean LA&LB further back for a more favourable positioning of front top wishbone brkts. also when positioning LA &LB place a straight edge on the outside plane & measure equally from the straight edge to your marked centre line which your chassis must be set to. that way you know your brkts will be in the correct plane.also leave FU1&FU2 out untill your front top brkt is set along with the bottom brkts. to make it easier get youself two pieces of MDF and mark out the configuration on page 63 doubling the horizontal measurments of course, now drill out the marked out holes to the size of bolts you are using, get four lenghths of threaded bar the same size, and numerous nuts to position all the brkts , and offer this to the chassis. when all is set, you can now place FU1&FU2 against the top rear brkt which is being positioned by the top front brkt held togther with the threaded bar having removed the lower threaded bar. i hope all this makes sense to you, anyway it,s how i did mine, cheers davef.

craig1410

posted on 5/3/03 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the tips. You have confirmed my suspision that it is the edge plane that should be parallel to centreline rather than the front plane parallel to the lateral axis. Looks like I'll have to go and cut out my tack welds and make a fw adjustments. I wish the book made this point clearer because it seems to me that this is fairly important!

Cheers,
Craig.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.