Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I Bought a VortX RT+
G.Man

posted on 24/11/05 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
IT PASSED....

Sailed the emissions test...

Few minor "fix on the day faults" that we must have accidentally missed...

But here we go...

Start to finish in 4 weeks with a 1 week trip to cairo inbetween

RichieC

posted on 24/11/05 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations Mark,

Complete success story then

Any chance of the bits and bobs you fixed on the day, Im sure they would be useful to note for future Vortx SVAs.

I think its not only credit to you for a superb fast build but also to Marc for such a straightforward design. It seems to me, MNR owners have far few problems come SVA time and those they do have are more engine related (good to hear the 12R is no bother) than corrections required to the design.

All looks good for the future, cant wait to get my finger out and get the whees in motion.

Rgds

Rich

[Edited on 24/11/05 by RichieC]

Agriv8

posted on 24/11/05 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Well Done Marc,

First car to go through at first attempt if I am not wrong ( no mean feat !! for any Kit car ). Ps I will hold you to those beer tokens

Credit to all involved plus the MNR crew.

How long for the SVA bits to fall off.

Regards

Iain

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

G.Man

posted on 24/11/05 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
The SVA bits have strangely fallen off and a carbon flip screen and racetech mirrors now sit where those cack mirrors were..

The MNR "front bumpers" are off next, saved a lot of time in radius and nut checking... (pics to follow)

The fixes on the day were some nuts and roll pins to lock the brake bias bar, deliberately left off so we could lock it once they had agreed brake bias figures...

1 cable tie

Steering self centering..

That was it...

Oh and a leaky brake light switch..

A lot of thanks to Ian for the help last night, up til midnight to change a faulty handbrake cable, and Marc for his invaluable assistance...

Now we just have to sort out why the rear hubs are binding..

Thought it was a clapped LSD but disconnected the shafts and its the hubs... the diff is tight, but not that tight...

And yes, first MNR car to go through first attempt so far via MNR... think one other on the forum tho...

[Edited on 24/11/05 by G.Man]

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

olv

posted on 24/11/05 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
great to hear it passed with no problems got any finished pictures?
RichieC

posted on 24/11/05 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Will be interested to see the bumper.

How did you cure the self centring? Tweak on the suspension or tyre pressures?

Rgds

Rich

smart51

posted on 24/11/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Well done. Another one has overtaken me.

By front bumpers, do you mean indicator extensions? My SVA man said that a lot of people fit their indicators high and on long stalks to exempt a larger portion of thier suspension from the radius checks. I simply covered all edges with rubber trim.

Dillinger1977

posted on 24/11/05 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
congrats! (swine.. )

one of these days i'll finish mine.. any time before the sunny weather next year would be nice..

-Rog

G.Man

posted on 24/11/05 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olv
great to hear it passed with no problems got any finished pictures?

pics at the weekend...

inc sva bumper, soon to be an MNR loan item i believe...

self centering was cured with tyre pressures and suspension increasing neggy camber whi increases toe out as well...

[Edited on 24/11/05 by G.Man]

G.Man

posted on 24/11/05 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
I would just like to say a big thanks to Marc,for working too hard to help me including getting out of bed at 4.15 this morning to drive me to the SVA test in horrendous conditions, Iain (agrav8) for his help til midnight last night to replace a binding (faulty) handbrake cable, Steve and Andy from MNR for their help with finishing off (4 hours overtime in a freezing workshop) and Ian the SVA tester, who was both thorough in his examination but helpful with advice on the last 3 SVA visits I have had at the test centre..

MNR have put themselves out massively to help me get my car sorted, they deserve the praise you guys have been giving..

Live up to my expectations?

No... exceeded them when it counts...

Thanks guys, and thnaks Chris for all the tea and coffee...

Just wait til all those cypriots see my car, you are gonna be busy...

Winston Todge

posted on 25/11/05 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome effort Mark!

Bet you gonna get itchy feet waiting for the car to be exportable!? A few trips back for test drives and track days I presume??

Seriously though, I can't think of any other manufacturers let alone people that would give this kind of support to a builder... Truly unbelievable.

Enjoy the car! Not that that's going to be hard! Have you had time to give it a proper thrash yet?

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
G.Man

posted on 25/11/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Car is shipping to cyprus on 10th of december, will arrive in Cyprus 10th january.. no way I will be driving it over here except maybe tomorrow if its dry..

andy d (rizla)

posted on 25/11/05 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
nice one mark,just goes to show the MNR customer care is as strong today as it was at the begining for me
and customer care is one of the things that have made MNR reach into the top ten manufacturers in just a year(source total kitcar mag)

well done guys

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
G.Man

posted on 27/11/05 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Absolutely spot on Andy

The car is being delivered to my home on sunday, after a full day of setup today...

Marc was very thorough with the corner weights etc achieving a perfect 50-50 balance...

We had some issues with flame spitting from the exhaust on overun, which was cured by sealing the exhaust breathers, which has also stopped the headers glowing red all the time

Engine sounds very sweet now as well...

Car is a little heavier than we expected with a full tank due to the much heavier LSD and shafts from the cossie and the 60 odd ltr fuel tank, But I havent built the car for ultimate low weight, and have more focussed on the quality of the fittings... the diff and shafts are more than twice as heavy as a 3.38 open diff and push in shafts...

Anyway, car is a peach and I am well happy

Martin van der Wal

posted on 27/11/05 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
How much does the car weigh ?
G.Man

posted on 27/11/05 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Martin van der Wal
How much does the car weigh ?

Ring Marc and ask him...

I aint turning this thread into a bitch fight about weight again...

Hellfire

posted on 27/11/05 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
No reason for it to turn into anything. Like you already said, its not built to be a super lightweight. If it were, you'd have hardly gone for a ZX12R engine and LSD, now would you.

G.Man

posted on 27/11/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly hellfire...

It has larger seats to cope with my, how shall we put it, fat arse... LSD and Shafts from a cossie, cossie size fuel tank, road bodywork, dry sump system with 10 ltrs oil, 55ish ltrs of fuel and with me onboard its around 640 kgs...

If I had gone for the Super with T45 chassis, had a custom loom made, lightweight bodywork, thin ally panels, lightweight 13inch wheels, 3.38 push in shaft diff, fireblade motor with baffled sump, yada yada yada it would have been a lot less, but less friendly on the road...

Overall a 500ish kg car is still gonna kick ass with over 200bhp (with the engine mods I have done)...

olv

posted on 27/11/05 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
that's still very light with so much fluid onboard.

you must be dead chuffed with it.

G.Man

posted on 27/11/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sure am...

The engine seems to be blowing a bit of blue smoke at present tho, need to find out why, perhaps it just needs a good run...

Maybe because I have sealed the breather system off tho, as it wasnt doing it before... I may have allowed some oil from the cam cover into the exhaust thru the reed valve plates due to the size of bolts I have used.. if so I will just remove the reed valve plates and that should cure it... Find out tomorrow...

smart51

posted on 27/11/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
640 kg? That's a weight off my mind (no pun intended) Mine weighed in at 540 kg at my local weighbridge with a full tank of fuel and a big bag of tools in the boot. I was thinking that mine was a bit lardy.

Mine too has an LSD rear end, plus a boot box and padded seats. The tools will add a bit of weight but then so will the heater that's sat in my basement.

smart51

posted on 27/11/05 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't the weekend nearly over? I want to see some pics!
_Aero_

posted on 27/11/05 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Even with mod's, Hellfire's doesn't hit an accurate 200bhp (measured 152bhp at wheels (possible 185ish)). I'm sure he'd be interested how you achieved that?

Mods include 4-2-1 exhaust, Yoshi can, power commander, NGK IX plugs, K&N filter - all set-up by Holeshot Racing... hmmm! IIRC

G.Man

posted on 27/11/05 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah but I weigh 108 of those 640kg's

To Hit 200 bhp you need to adjust the ignition timing and seal off the exhaust breathers (clean air system) as well as the race system and airfilter changes...

If its only making 185 at the crank, thats barely above stock... even a race can on a stock exhaust can achieve that on a 12r...

Or maybe its transmission drag or an inaccurate dyno... heaven forbid

PS. Mine hasnt been dyno'd so I cannot say what the power is, but the mods to supposedly give 200bhp have been done... but 185bhp at the crank is definately low for a 12r, my brothers GSXR1000 bike with wet sump makes a genuine 180bhp at the rear wheel, say 200 at the crank... Rizla Suzukis are making at least another 20-30 over that....

4-2-1 is not the best for max power, but will give better midrange torque, 4-1 gives better peak power at the expense of midrange...

What kind of headers is hellfire running? Are they equal length on all cylinders? thats worth quite a few BHP...

[Edited on 27/11/05 by G.Man]

Hellfire

posted on 27/11/05 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
G.Man - you won't hit nearly 200bhp without the ram-air system which only comes into effect at 150+mph which is pretty much unachievable in a 7 of any 'ilk. Holeshot Racing are one of (if not) THE best tuning places in the UK. He held the land speed record on one of his handbuilt (BUSA TURBO (700bhp))bikes. He knows everything there is to know about bike engines - mapping/tuning/etc ect. Marc will probaby know him as he is also a racer-type guy. He is VERY well known amongst racers for his experience, so - however knowledgeable you are, I doubt you will surpass him on this occassion.

He did state, our headers held the engine back approx. 3~4 bhp but here was nothing more to be gained from the ZX12R engine without masses of money - the RAMAIR system is key in this engine and neither of us can use it to it's effect. Therefore 200bhp is unattainable unless you know different

Jack has stated he has tried equal and unequal length headers and the diference is hardly measureable on a Rolling Road.

[Edited on 27-11-05 by Hellfire]

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.