Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cracked fuel pipe
bob

posted on 24/8/05 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Cracked fuel pipe

After only about 18 months fitted and 15months of little use i noticed my fuel feed pipe to the carb had cracks in the outer rubber,i wouldnt have noticed this if i hadnt been cleaning up a spillage in the engine bay.

Luckilly it was not leaking and i had some spare but it didnt look too healthy,i think i'll invest in some quality braided fuel line in future.

The pipe in question had plenty of length from the fuel pump to carb and is under no strain,the slight bend in the picture is about as much as it has to cope with and the only hot area it is close to is the water pipe that feeds from the manifold through the carb.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=fuel%20pipe%20002.jpg

[Edited on 24/8/05 by bob]

JoelP

posted on 24/8/05 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
i noticed my rubber fuel pipe has cracked too, on a tight bend - this was after 1 mile, and a year in the garage! Pretty useless really. Again, no leak, but i now see why people use copper pipe!

bob

posted on 24/8/05 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=fuel%20pipe%20001.jpg

I've put an even longer piece on now less bend,but the original bend looked okay and i've seen tighter.

Markp

posted on 24/8/05 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't realise my fuel pipe was cracked and on sunday night the worst happened. I had my own bbq under the bonnet after pulling out of a tee junction I have never moved so fast in my life!! The socks went up, the carbs kept going for a little bit, the wiring needs replaceing at two points, The hose was only three months old!

It could have been worse!?

Mark

RoadkillUK

posted on 24/8/05 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'll add that my fuel pipe is also cracking, replaced it though with the same stuff (it's all I had). I'll replace it with some decent stuff next time I'm out shopping.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 29/8/05 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quite a worryingly common problem. What would be the perfect tubing? How is copper tube connected up, would you just use rubber at the ends?

Markp

posted on 12/10/05 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm now using the steel braided hose. If that goes then I give up!!

Mark

02GF74

posted on 23/11/05 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
yeah but steel braided hose is still using rubber hose beneath the braid.

If the rubber hose cracks, you will not know until petrol starts to leak everywhere. Braided is binger, resists abrasion better and probably in these cases will not let you fit in such a tight bend.

Are you guys using cheap hose? A few months or even a year doesn't seem too good - or is it the tight bend that is causing this?

bob

posted on 23/11/05 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
It may well have been the bend or arc of the pipe,i have since refitted the pipe to carb and added a couple of inches so the bend isnt so tight.

I must add that the hose was not leaking but i just didnt like the look of it after only one year on the car,the pipe was not a cheap one and is BS marked as fuel pipe.

allways worth adding to regular checks i think

DarrenW

posted on 24/11/05 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
i hope braided is Ok - that is what i have used right through from the tank to carb - difficult to inspect in the tunnel.

What do the OEM's use? Copper to point of use then rubber i guess.

02GF74

posted on 25/11/05 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
i hope braided is Ok - that is what i have used right through from the tank to carb - difficult to inspect in the tunnel.

What do the OEM's use? Copper to point of use then rubber i guess.

more likely steel tubing, just like they do for brakes.

andyharding

posted on 25/11/05 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
I bought some fuel hose from Westfield when I ordered some other bits. About 3 months later they sent my a letter and some more hose saying that the other stuff was known to break down and had been recalled.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Syd Bridge

posted on 25/11/05 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
If you fit your fuel pipes in a similar manner to Mini's, you'd be doing it about right. This puts hard pipe in all the long runs, and uses flexible at the joints, in short pieces.

Although copper is used frequently, it can age harden and crack. Much better to use the copper/nickel alloy stuff, as in brake pipe tube. Steel will do the trick as well.

Syd.

02GF74

posted on 12/12/05 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syd Bridge
If you fit your fuel pipes in a similar manner to Mini's, you'd be doing it about right. This puts hard pipe in all the long runs, and uses flexible at the joints, in short pieces.

Although copper is used frequently, it can age harden and crack. Much better to use the copper/nickel alloy stuff, as in brake pipe tube. Steel will do the trick as well.

Syd.

Syd, do you really believe that? how many thousands of miles of copper tubing is used in domestic water and heating systems - have you heard of the tubing cracking? It is much thinner, runs with highter pressure and goes trhough a bigger temperature cycle than a fuel line in a car.

Not convinced myself but then I don't have any plumber mates.

David Jenkins

posted on 12/12/05 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Domestic copper pipe doesn't get vibrated continuously for hours on end, like it does on a car.

The stuff that REALLY scares me is the tubing I saw someone drooling over at a show - thin-wall aluminium tube with a plastic cover. Aluminium will age-harden, let alone work harden. It's probably fine for a competition car where it would get replaced frequently, but in a road car? No thanks!

David

David Jenkins

posted on 23/12/07 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Late update

Took the old pipe out today - this is the worst bit, just next to the fuel tank outlet.

Rotted fuel pipe
Rotted fuel pipe

The white flecks you can see are the internal reinforcement threads!

Syd Bridge

posted on 23/12/07 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Syd Bridge

Syd.

Syd, do you really believe that? how many thousands of miles of copper tubing is used in domestic water and heating systems - have you heard of the tubing cracking? It is much thinner, runs with highter pressure and goes trhough a bigger temperature cycle than a fuel line in a car.

Not convinced myself but then I don't have any plumber mates.

Well, I've seen copper fuel lines that have cracked, in yachts. Also had a few crack in the ski boats we ran in Aus. The cracks usually happen right beside a compression joint, or where the pipe passes through a bulkhead. Also had a copper line crack on my old one tonner in Aus, on the crossover pipe between the dual tanks.

So no, I don't believe that copper cracks. I know it can crack, and sometimes does.

Copper is still used in yachts a lot, but with diesel which is much safer.

I use the thin ali stuff myself in some of the contract work I do. It IS lifed! Also replaced after any bump which may bend it.

Cheers,
Syd.

C10CoryM

posted on 23/12/07 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
You guys sure you are using rubber hoses rated for fuel? Petroleum rots/cracks rubber unless it is designed for it. All fuel hose here is specifically marked, and will last many years before rotting/cracking.

All hard lines can crack. Even steel ones. Aluminum and copper are much more likely to though. I still pucker up when I see you guys using copper mix for brake lines........ steel is definitely the way to go there.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 23/12/07 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - the rubber has to be marked with the appropriate standard, else you don't pass the SVA inspection. Unfortunately some are better than others... I have some Gates hose in the line, and that's in decent condition, unlike the rest.

As for the 'copper mix' brake tube - if it's good enough for Volvo, it's good enough for me. It's quite an exotic mix of copper, nickel and iron (Cu-Ni-Fe, trade name Kunifer). I'd rather use that knowing that it won't corrode, rather than steel, which I know WILL corrode!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.