Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting a Duratec 2.5 V6
Gav

posted on 28/8/05 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting a Duratec 2.5 V6

Choices, choices

Been looking at a Duratec V6, i know ill have to make a adaptor plate to mate it to a MT75 or T5 box, which dosnt particulary phase me.
However has anyone actually fitted this engine?. it would be good to get someone elses thoughts on this.

One of the reasons ive been looking at this engine is a ex colleague of mine knows an awful lot about this engine, except it was only in his probe, not a kit car.
Also it does sound loverly

Im currently trying to find the dimensions of the engine to make sure it would fit my book chassis, although iirc the cologne v6 will fit a book chassis, and this is a smaller engine?

if not, im not bothered about spending anoher £50 on steel to make another +4 chassis.

TPG

posted on 28/8/05 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
V6 Engine

I think this falls into the ecotec V6 catogery.People are a bit phased by it.But with the likes of megajolt/megasquirt systems for the running of it about it should be more popular IMO.The vauxhall unit even comes with a rearwheel drive box in a whole Omega.Size wise it shouldn't be a problem.There RV8's in Locosts and other lsis

[Edited on 28/8/05 by TPG]

..Which was nice..

Liam

posted on 28/8/05 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Probe... That's the mazda engine then isn't it? Not the ford duratec used in the mondeo nowadays. Very nice engine. If you can fit a V8 you wont have any trouble with a 6. Good article in this months PPC about making adaptor plates.

Vauxhall V6 is nice too but unfortunately made of iron so a bit lardy.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 28/8/05 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
The 24v probe engine will be a bit wider than the colgne but should go in. You may need to loose both conventional R tubes in the engine bay and go with two Y-braces instead.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tim 45

posted on 28/8/05 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Probe... That's the mazda engine then isn't it? Not the ford duratec used in the mondeo nowadays. Very nice engine. If you can fit a V8 you wont have any trouble with a 6. Good article in this months PPC about making adaptor plates.

Vauxhall V6 is nice too but unfortunately made of iron so a bit lardy.

Liam

I didnt think this was the mazda engine...The V6 'Duratec' has been used in Mondeos for a while now. Its only the 1.8/2.0 litre I4 engines that are in Mk3 mondeos (2001-), it is these that are in Mazda 6's

The 2.3 is used in the ranger in the US.

Duratec info here

Liam

posted on 28/8/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Nah - going way back in time here - to a previous ford mazda arrangement. The old ford probe used a mazda V6. I believe it was actually called a k-series (not to be mistaken with the rovers of course) and came in 1.8, 2.0 (i think, maybe 2.3) and 2.5. Most of them are in mazda mx6's 323's etc. It's not a duratec and aint the same as the all ford V6 used in the mondeo and onwards.

Liam

Tim 45

posted on 28/8/05 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies liam...

Im barking up the wrong tree again

Liam

posted on 28/8/05 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
So gav - which engine are you talking about?? The mazda Probe V6 or a ford duratec? Maybe the ford duratec V6 was a fruit of the development of the mazda engine - not really sure...

liam

Gav

posted on 28/8/05 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
well i was actually looking at the one on ebay that tim 45 refered to in a different post says its from a mondeo.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-2-5-litre-Duratec-24v-V6-Mondeo-Cougar_W0QQitemZ4571552893QQcategoryZ21654QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

However my mate who had the probe said it'll be the same engine as the probe (164bhp-ish)

I didnt think actually developed their own duratec V6?

humm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec

if ford did produce their own V6 then hopefully it might be mateable to a T5/MT75?

Gav

posted on 28/8/05 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
its funny i think ive just got the horn for a v6

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfa-156-2-5-24v-V6-engine_W0QQitemZ7995975664QQcategoryZ10370QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and these things sound amazing on full chat

Liam

posted on 28/8/05 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Your friend's probe engine is this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_K_engine

Not a ford duratec, but I really dont know how different they are. At the end of the day they're both 24v 2.5l ally v6s (like those of many manafacturers), however they're probably very unlikely to share tuning parts, common faults, etc etc, so your friend's Probe knowledge might not be much use if you get the ebay duratec.

With regards a mondeo duratec fitting a ford RWD gearbox, as far as i'm aware the answer to that has yet to be added to the collective knowledge of this site! Go on - be a pioneer, get it and compare bolt patterns! One thing i can say is it will definately not have the same bolt pattern as the 4cyl gearboxes. If it shares the cologne V6 bolt pattern you're laughing but i have a feeling we would have heard by now if it does.

Oh and I can totally understand having the horn for V6s!! Honda is my choice.

Liam

Liam

posted on 28/8/05 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ooooohhh!!

According to that mazda engine article, get yourself a Japan import of the 2.5 V6 and it has 200 ponies! Nice.

Liam

Gav

posted on 29/8/05 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, this is what phil(Mr Probe) used to say that the ford version was detuned as the original design was for 200bhp.

hehe imr really tempted
the main problem is ill have to get friendly with a local engineer shop to make the adaptor plate!.
Also ill have to mod the sump for RWD orientation as the oil pick up would be at the front.

Edit: Also mr probe reckons that the engine is good for 8000rpm with a suitably large FPR and the air con/PAS removed.

[Edited on 29/8/05 by Gav]

kb58

posted on 29/8/05 at 04:00 AM Reply With Quote
I'd like to know what it weighs, complete. I know you're going for front engine, rear drive, but it would sure be helpful to know what a complete FWD version with tranny and accessaries weighs.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

ewanspence

posted on 29/8/05 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I had an import MX6 and the extra extra 35 bhp was great, I ran it without any problems until the car had covered 200k miles, then traded it for a v6 C Class Merc (now that would be a nice donor). The probe exhaust sounded better than the Mazda. I also think that the Suzuki Vitara 2.5 uses the Mazda engine but not sure which BHP is has 165 UK spec or 198 Jap spec.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

scotty g

posted on 29/8/05 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I considered the V6 duratec a while ago. I may be wrong but i believe that Morgan use this engine and a fairly recent jag gearbox. We all know who owns Jaguar.
Noble use this engine too but with a couple of turbos and those things go like greased sh*t off a hot shovel!!!!!!!!!!

Gav

posted on 29/8/05 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I asked the guy selling the duratec on ebay for the engine number so i could check which version it is.
He said it dosnt have a number on it and that perhaps because it was never fitted to a car thats why it has no number

i smell something fishy!

ned

posted on 30/8/05 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
remember the st220 and jag s-type 3ltr v6's are essentially the same engine with i believe different heads and put out over 200bhp in standard trim. i know of a mountune 3ltr v6 making around hte 330bhp mark if you've got the cash to spare

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Gav

posted on 30/8/05 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Im not going to continue with this duratec on ebay if the guy canrt find the engine number. i need to know its a kosher engine before ill part with the cash.
Liam

posted on 31/8/05 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm looks like there are plenty of numbers on the engine in the photos...

Wouldn't an engine be numbered during production and not just only if it gets put in a car? Dunno? If it really has no number cos it's brand new (and clearly is from the photos) it could well be perfectly legit - but still might have issues when it comes to sva and registration. You'd have to check that out cos i dont know. Maybe if its new you can have a number of your choice stamped on it??

Liam

[Edited on 31/8/05 by Liam]

Gav

posted on 31/8/05 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
All engines should have a unique number stamped on them at manufacture.
and yeah i asked him if he cold get me the numbers on the side of the block but hasnt got back to me.
Like i said im not willing to risk the cash if im not 100% sure its ligit.
Also he said he got it from ebay anyway.

Liam

posted on 31/8/05 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm. Maybe he got it for a kit car, found he couldn't register it, and is flogging it? Could well be wrong. Maybe his engine is better for somebody with a car already registered. Plenty of duratecs about...

Liam

Gav

posted on 31/8/05 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
i originally asked what he was gonna use it for just out of interest but got no reply to that one either.
ned

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
there are so many cheap old v6 mondeo's about there will be another. i wouldn't waste your time if the guy isn't being very helpful. you can buy an entire car for a couple of hundred quid, possibly less...

beware, I've got yellow skin

Gav

posted on 1/9/05 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
true, but ive just seen that fireblade engine on ebay
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.