Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FWD driveline to RWD
attila11101

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
FWD driveline to RWD

This may sound stupid so bear with me, please.

I am wanting to use a Caddy v8 in a MR-like locost. Because of its layout, the engine hangs off the back more like a Rear-engined car. I want to spin the engine around so that more of its weight is inboard. Is there a simple way to change the direction the transmission spins so that this is feasible?

mookaloid

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
er in theory if you turn the tranny upside down it would work.

cheers

Mark

Liam

posted on 1/9/05 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Aint there FWD caddys (deville, seville?) that are transverse just like any european transverse FWD layout? So if you put that whole lump in the back of a [big] midi then the weight of the engine would be in front of the rear axle anyway??

I seem to remember a cadillac FWD V8 being shoved in the back of a transit van in this way in scrapheap challenge over here...

liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
violentblue

posted on 2/9/05 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
the cadilac engine is in front of the axle, are you saying you want to move it further forward?
if so then you'd have to go to a longitudaly mounted mid engine configuration. (audi 5000t tranny may take the torque)

a few pics of my other projects

Dale

posted on 2/9/05 at 03:40 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe he is talking about the old eldorado with the big 500ci v8 that faces front rear.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

britishtrident

posted on 2/9/05 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Ah like the old Tornado istr that was the model that had a morse chain in the transmision.

I think it is time to think again --

I know the caddy engine slightly from the old Rolls Royce V8, (it may comes as shock but it was a license built caddy engine RR and GM cross licensed a lot of stuff in complex deals to do with aero engines and nuclear technology) -- not exactly light weight I certainly wouldn't want that behind me in a front end shunt.

8smokingbarrels

posted on 2/9/05 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Liam,

I remember that on scrapheap challenge too, tho I seem to remember it going into a beetle with the roof lopped off. I think the engine was V6- might have been a different episode.

Definitely a transverse arrangement would make a lot of sense if the right gearbox can be found

chris

Alan B

posted on 2/9/05 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
A company called Mid-engineering used to use that engine all the time in middy conversions...not sure if they are still around.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 3/9/05 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 8smokingbarrels
I remember that on scrapheap challenge too, tho I seem to remember it going into a beetle with the roof lopped off. I think the engine was V6- might have been a different episode.

V8 in a transit van / V6 in a beetle... um yeah it's probably safe to say they were different episodes!

Sorry - that just made me laugh!
Liam

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.