Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building in France
wormscoffer

posted on 3/9/05 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Building in France

I'm not expecting a reply to this but what the hell, no harm in asking.

I'm going to build in France (LHD). Does anybody know what the equivalent to the SVA is over there?

Cheers.

Andy North

posted on 3/9/05 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Even though UK, Germany, Holland,etc allow kit cars, I was told France don't

Where are you based?

NS Dev

posted on 3/9/05 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
my mate who runs Ultima has told me the same as Andy above, kit cars of any sort cannot be registered in France at all. They have had enquiries but the only customers in France who have done this have their cars registered to a friend's address in the UK!
Andy North

posted on 3/9/05 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is registered at my Dad's, and does not spend more time out of the UK than specified by the insurance company
donut

posted on 3/9/05 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I have been told that they will not register a car with an external exhaust so that's a 7 out the picture!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 3/9/05 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
I have been told that they will not register a car with an external exhaust so that's a 7 out the picture!

I think it is kit cars in general. *If* that was the only real issue, the external exhaust problem could be overcome. For example, some Westfield models can be specified with underslung exhausts...

Dont just build it.....make it!

Triton

posted on 3/9/05 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I sold a Locost kit to a French geeza 4 yrs ago who worked for Renault, he built the car in France then trailered it to the UK for SVA and registration....easier to import a UK car.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 3/9/05 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
The historic car guys have to put up with terrible restrictions in France -- an old car can only be used within I think 30 or 50 km of the town where it is registered.
wormscoffer

posted on 3/9/05 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that lot. So I build it there, trailer it back and SVA and register it here. Can I get through an SVA if I build it LHD anybody?

The French restrictions are incredible considering the state of some of the cars you see locals driving!

The control technique (MOT) is only every two years too!

theconrodkid

posted on 3/9/05 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
only diffo being lhd makes is the headlight aim,you may have to borrow some rhd headlights

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

NS Dev

posted on 4/9/05 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wormscoffer

The French restrictions are incredible considering the state of some of the cars you see locals driving!

I know!!!!

The consensus amongst those that I have spoken to over the years on this subject was that the rule was really there mainly to promote french built cars and support the industry, quite how that works I don't know but that's what was said!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.