Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sva - is mot needed before??
jimmyjonga

posted on 10/10/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
sva - is mot needed before??

i will end up with a q plate - but do i need an mot before i can register the car or the the sva test cert all that is needed..
test a week today!!!!

thanks

james

Humbug

posted on 10/10/05 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
No - no MOT needed...though apparently some DVLA local offices say you do need one.

Do a search on here for previous threads, e.g.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=32329

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=22554

donut

posted on 10/10/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
MAC#! have sorted all this out with the head honcho at the DVLA and you DO NOT need a MOT before SVA.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 10/10/05 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
No MoT required before SVA...

However, Its a good check to see the car is roadworthy especially if you have a long drive to the SVA test centre.
Oh and another excuse to drive it without Number Plates and Tax

Q Plate has the Advantage of visual Smoke test at future mot's

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 10/10/05 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
The advantage of having an MOT before the SVA, is that if you fail, they cannot make you have the car transported home as you have a valid roadworthyness certificate. Exeter DVLA insisted on me having an MOT before they registered my car - luck I had one, I passed the test and got it registered on the same day

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

jos

posted on 10/10/05 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
As everybody has said above, a MOT certificate is not required prior to SVA or registration. However, I am going to get my local MOT test centre to do everything for an MOT BUT without the paperwork as I dont want to have to keep having it tested for the three years after registering it.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

Hellfire

posted on 10/10/05 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
James, you seem resigned to the fact that you will be issued with a Q plate but that needn't be the case if you really want an age related plate.

Also, all Kit Cars have a visual test for smoke at MOT regardless of Q or age related plate.

jimmyjonga

posted on 12/10/05 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
will end up with a 'q' as my donor parts have came from all over the place...
James

posted on 13/10/05 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjonga
will end up with a 'q' as my donor parts have came from all over the place...

How will the DVLA man know that?!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

bigrich

posted on 15/10/05 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to disapoint you chaps who think that kit cars are visual smoke only it all depends on the age of engine fitted and also what its log book says after registration also mot computorisation tells you the limits to apply to each vehicle tested. Thats not to say its always correct though ive done blackbird indy with visual only, a blade car with cat limits and also a pinto that suposedly needed a cat test so the system is not always correct and also most normal mot stations have little contact with kitcars etc so there is bound to be confussion. if visual is the case for kits then why do we mess about putting cat kits etc on for sva as they apply mot limits when testing emmisions surely just running the engine would surfice...
Hellfire

posted on 16/10/05 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thats why you can rent-a-cat from most manufacturers. Daft rules I know, but I don't know anyone still running with a Cat on their exhaust who used one for SVA and they've been MOT'd a few times now.

Like you said though, different testing stations may have different interpretations of the rules, it's just a case of finding one that suits your needs

[Edited on 16-10-05 by Hellfire]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.