Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Spraying Hammerite!?
chriscook

posted on 12/10/05 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Spraying Hammerite!?

My Phoenix chassis is powdercoated in yellowas was standard for many many sylva chassis. I now have a new roll bar which I want to be the same colour as the chassis. I have tried a few local powdercoaters and only one of them had yellow powder and it was completely different shade. Hammerite smooth yellow is a very close match but their spray cans are poor. So i'm wondering if i should buy a tin of the stuff and spray it with a proper gun. Has anyone here ever tried it or know what thinners to use? What primer or just trust that it can paint straight to metal.?

2-pack has been suggested to me but the health aspects don't sound like fun to me,

Thanks,
Chris

zxrlocost

posted on 12/10/05 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
whats wrong with the hammerite spray cans mate Im about to use some
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

givemethebighammer

posted on 12/10/05 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
You might want to check with a professional, I think once you have used a spray gun with hammerite you can never get it completely clean again, something to do with the silicone in hammerite. Mark Allanson is the man to quantify this one.
stevebubs

posted on 12/10/05 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC one of the plasticote sprays from B&Q was also a close match....
stevebubs

posted on 12/10/05 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Chris,

have you tried asking Sylva directly?

They're moving into a new Unit about 20miles north of Donnington at the moment.

Prior to the donnington show this weekend, they're offering breakfast at new unit at 0830 on Sunday followed by a convoy to the show.

Steve was trying to get JP down for the meet.

If you want more details, mail me

Stephen

RazMan

posted on 12/10/05 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
From past experience I have perfected the best method for using Smoothrite

First, brush on a good heavy coat trying not to create runs. When it is ready for a second coat, use a Smoothrite aerosol and give it a light top coat - this eliminates all brush marks and you end up with a good thickness.

p.s. The silver colour is almost an exact match with silver powder coat finish and is great for repainting after welding on that forgotten bracket

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben Smith

posted on 12/10/05 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if it is available in yellow but as an alternative to hamerite I use RUST-OLEUM fast dry hard hat. I find the spray cans are much better than hamerite and it seems to take to the metal easier so less coats are needed.

Ben

chriscook

posted on 12/10/05 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
In answer to questions:

I've not been impressed with the finish from the hammerite spray cans before and as the roll bar is bigish and very visible i wanted to get the best finish i can.

I've spoken to JP trying to find out what colour it is but its just whatever yellow the powder coaters that he uses have got in. Then i'd need to find out somewhere thats got the same colour as no place is going to buy a whole bow of the colour just for one roll bar.

Might get a can of plasticote to try and see if i can find rust-oleum somewhere.....

thanks,
chris

Ben Smith

posted on 12/10/05 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Chris
Have just been to my local metal work suppliers (where I get the rust-oleum) and it is available in yellow.

Ben.

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/10/05 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
If you spray Hammerite, your gun and all equipment used including your Garage will be contaminated with silicon, and you will never be able to spray anything else without getting 'fisheyes' in your work.

Hammerite and smoothrite are excellent produces when used on what there were designed for. That is descaled rusty metal, if you use it on new metal it will chip really badly, as there is no etching element in the paint and it relies on the rough surface of the rusty steel to adhere.

Horses for courses

SeaBass

posted on 12/10/05 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
If you spray Hammerite, your gun and all equipment used including your Garage will be contaminated with silicon, and you will never be able to spray anything else without getting 'fisheyes' in your work.

Hammerite and smoothrite are excellent produces when used on what there were designed for. That is descaled rusty metal, if you use it on new metal it will chip really badly, as there is no etching element in the paint and it relies on the rough surface of the rusty steel to adhere.

Horses for courses

I'll second these statements. Personally I don't like hammerite unless it's something rusty that has to be quickly protected.

Your wasting time applying it to bare clean metal - may as well open up a chip shop.

britishtrident

posted on 12/10/05 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I use a cheap gun just for spraying textured hamerite --- one of those one you get with a set of air accessories -- I seem to have accumulated a few.
aweekes1

posted on 12/10/05 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

Horses for courses

Oh. I sprayed hammerite smooth using their thinners. I wish I had known about the silicone before hand. Oh well! I've painted a panel (Back of the KA) since without problems so I must have been exceptionally lucky!!!

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/10/05 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I am not sure the smoothrite has the added silicon, its the silicon that gives the hammered effect in the metallic hammerite finish.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

chriscook

posted on 12/10/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
It the smooth stuff I was thinking of.

I think i'll go and visit my local paint/panel suppliers tomorrow and see what they recommend.

C

mark chandler

posted on 12/10/05 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
For my to penny worth, I,d avoid hammerite for any car parts, smooth or otherwise. It goes very hard, so becomes brittle and chips easily. My favorite is plant paint from agricultural stores.

Its twice the price and the colours are limited but even with a brush layed off properly it goes extremly smooth, has good impact resistance and does not crack/chip. Ideal for an anti roll bar or chassis where things twist and move.

Regards Mark

shades

posted on 12/10/05 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
My dad sprayed our mini traveler with black smootherite many moons ago. I think he used an electric spray gun borrowed from a neighbour. The fake wood trim was also sprayed in silver... hmmm

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.