Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pug Mi 16 to what gearbox??
paul v6

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Pug Mi 16 to what gearbox??

The Mi 16 engine seems the pefect option for a locost, very light, 160bhp standard and seem to be quite a few about.

Maybe even the 205 1.9 gti would be even better, there were millions of these about not so long ago and they went like stink!! Trouble is as with most engines to be honest I have no idea what if any gearbox is sutable and easily mated??

Any ideas??

Paul

James

posted on 17/10/05 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
No use on the gearbox but here's an interesting article about tuning it:

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pug16v.htm

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nick205

posted on 17/10/05 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Paul,

Have a search on here, it's been discussed a time or two before. Being a pug fan I wanted to use the Mi16 engine too.

As far as I found out there was a company making bellhousing adapters for Ford Type 9 boxes, but I couldn't find them - maybe ceased trading or changed names.

It is also said that LDV vans used PUG diesel engines in RWD configuration and that the gearbox may fit an MI16 - again I was unable to confirm this.

I have seen a photo of an Mi16 7-style car, but couldn't find anymore details on it.

Assuming you can find/make a suitable gearbox/adapter you still are left with the fact that the engine is quite tall. This is why PUG always mounted them leaning backwards by ~30 degrees. If you maintained this angle in a locost type engine bay the exhaust manifold would be right where the steering column would normally go.

In the end, I decided to use the Pinto engine and gearbox that came free with my donor. Mainly due to simplicity, speed (of build) and cost. and

That said I still think it's a spot on engine for the job. As you say, it's light and already well tuned, with good potential for increased power. The 8v 1.9 is also very plentiful too.

Cheers
Nick

[Edited on 17/10/05 by nick205]

Browser

posted on 17/10/05 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
It was always my intention to fit one of these but I couldn't find a suitable bellhousing. Flowtech racing used to make them for the 8 valve (same bolt pattern) but ceased trading several years ago.
The LDV Pilot van fitted with the 1.9 Peugeot diesel engine is, as stated, rear wheel drive an d the lump has the same bolt pattern but I could never find a commercial vehicle breakers who (a) had one or (b) understood what the chuff I was on about Also, as mentioned, the engine is as standard installed with a 30 deg lean backwards which has to be maintained unless you are going to modify the sump & oil pickup pipe (which is cast ali I think, so more of a pain to cut 'n shut). Plus, no-one could tell me whether the oil would still drain OK with the motor upright.
I went for a Zetec in the end as there are far more of them about and far more tuning bits too.

nick205

posted on 17/10/05 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Flowtech! that's the people

As you say Browser, the intention is a good one, but the practise is not so easy.

Everytime the question comes up on here the result seems to be a reversion to tried and tested engine/gearbox combos.

Shame

What about a middy though that could work well!

pbs

posted on 17/10/05 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
The engine is very big for a two litre. I had the head of my Gti6, which is the same basic engine as the Mi16 and it was sat on the bench beside a Vx Xe head and couldnt belive how much bigger it was. Plus the fact that the engine would need to sit at an angle and the postion of the engine mounts would make it a difficult engine to use in a Locost. Would be an ideal engine to use in a mid engined car.

Build your own sports car for £250 my ar5e!!

paul v6

posted on 17/10/05 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
If I remember correctly my dads old (H)Granada turbo diesel had a 2.5 turbo lump from peugoet?? This may make it easier but still doesnt get around the height issues

Paul

UncleFista

posted on 17/10/05 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Supposedly [1] you can fit the 1.9 Pug/Cit diesel engine to a Rover V8 manual 'box, using a LDV Pilot van bellhousing.

If they're the same bolt pattern as the Mi16 (would make sense) then maybe it's possible to use that combo ?

[1] Was once posted here, a looong time ago.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

rusty nuts

posted on 17/10/05 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra 2.3 diesels had a Peugeot lump and I think a type 9 box If you can find one the bell housing may be what you want.
svinto

posted on 17/10/05 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
The PRV-V6 in Volvo 260, 760 and 780's was a joint effort with Peugot, Renault and Volvo. The bolt-pattern might be similar...

(BTW The same engine was used in Delorean )

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
an mi16 engine was on ebay today with 13mins left at 200 quid

didnt see how much it went for thou, can remember a time when these went for well over £1000

locost_bryan

posted on 18/10/05 at 03:27 AM Reply With Quote
Is it the same block/bolt pattern as used in the old rwd 505?

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

rusty nuts

posted on 18/10/05 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't the old 505 have only 4 bolts holding the engine to the gearbox?
Stu16v

posted on 18/10/05 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yup , and they are basically the same as a Sierra 2.3D...

Dont just build it.....make it!

NS Dev

posted on 19/10/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zzrpowerd-locost
an mi16 engine was on ebay today with 13mins left at 200 quid

didnt see how much it went for thou, can remember a time when these went for well over £1000

a mate of mine has bought 3 of these engines for £400 the lot, incl the citroen that contained one of them!

mrlynx

posted on 12/11/05 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I am building with a XU9J4 from a Citroen BX gti 16V which is the same as a pug mi16 engine.
I have milled down the BX gearbox to 130 mm to form a bellhousing and mate it with a ford T9 gearbox.
Whats left is to build a 25 mm distance between the gearbox and bellhousing. Rescued attachment dsc00083.jpg
Rescued attachment dsc00083.jpg

awinter

posted on 14/11/05 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, the alloy 1905cc MI16 engine is in no way related to the GTi6 engine they are very different. The later 1998 cast iron block has the same head as the alloy block but the gti 6 engine is different again. There is a company called Shenpar in the midlands who have done some work on rear drive pug engined cars, may be worth giving them a bell.
As already said the 1905 cc alloy engine gives the best power output and is light. Quite tall though and the angle is impotant to get the oil back to the sump. The 1.9 8v steel oil pan fits these engines. These engine do suffer with oil surge on long lefthand corners. Any engines you buy are worth getting the big end bearing replaced apart from that they are strong engines and with rev to 7500rpm in stock form. Stick a set of dellorto DHLA 45's on and a maniflow manifold and when set up properly gives you about 190bhp at 7000rpm ish.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.